Sneaking up on 200hp at the rear wheel.

Frank- I'm at about 600' less altitude than you. I just found out that if I was at any less altitude, my Bus would need water wings.

I did a full-on MH style airbox mod (thanks, Dennis). I also used 3/8" rubber vacuum caps to plug off the PAIR intake fitting, the crankcase ventilation fitting, and the water drain valve fitting. Then I cut the roof off of the airbox from about 1/2" ahead of the air filter lid to the front of the crankcase vent chamber in the airbox. I am using the bottom of the gas tank as the new lid to my airbox. I sealed it with foam tape. This unshrouds the intake stacks a great deal, and greatly smooths the inside contour of the airbox lid.

Did you do any testing with that airbox setup?

I'm at about 650 alt.

I wont pull my balancer with this motor untill I have Jay(APE) set Me up on the crank work.

Frank- Why? It has no effect on engine balance. It is to cancel second order harmonic vibrations transmitted from the engine to the bike. I'd like to get my crank done too, but the balancer thing was free, easy and a win-win-win situation.

Frank- No testing of the airbox yet. You understand that I am not talking about a TL type "take the top off the airbox" type mod, right? It can't hurt, it was easier to do it this way, and I didn't have to split the box. I was able to do it all through the hole in the top. If you look at the inside of the airbox, the ram air ducting is pointed directly across the floor to the "ramp" looking part just ahead of the stacks below the filter foam. When the air hits that ski jump, it goes straight up and runs into the nasty recessed part of the airbox roof that is inset to allow mounting the filter lid. That part of the box shrouds the stacks, especially the long ones. The bottom of the gas tank is flat. As long as you seal it well, you should be fine. I can't see any way that it wouldn't reduce the pressure drop across the airbox.

I need themotorhead approval before I do that to my tried/true box, personally.

The next thing that I want to try with my airbox is to cut out the part of the floor that is recessed up from the bottom that was to make room for the vacuum actuator. Since we don't use those, I could fab a new floor that is flat all the way across from the ram air ducting to the "ski jump". I used to work for a race car fabrication facility. We had our own dyno room. I like to think outside of the box, if you can bear the pun. I look at the airbox and think how would it be shaped if it were started from a clean sheet of paper. Up to this point, we have been approaching it from the other angle: What can we do to improve the currnct design. Not all of my ideas are good, but I don't see how these two could hurt. I think that Rick Phillips has a regular MH style airbox and we live in the same town. If he wants to show up when my bike is on the dyno next week, maybe we can compare.

Dennis says that there is about 1.8 hp hiding in the current MH style airbox. Maybe together we can find it.

Kirk,
I am using the same APE ti-retainers and spring set that Frank has. Only setup to use with the big Web cams.

Rick- My e-mail to you was sent just fine. I sent you another. Try mine. I was thinking of going on a ride with whoever is at Starbucks on NW 23rd tomorrow after Church.

ZX.. Thanks for the editing tip.

Web Cam had a fairly stout price increase on August 1. We only had a two day warning. I believe that 'busa cams now go for $625.00 from Web. You can call our order desk for our price.

We will have 'busa bronze valve guides in about 30 days. As with all APE guides, they will sit lower in the head so as to clear all cams.

All you shop guys that have not used our guides in the past will be interested in the fact that ours are all stock size on the o.d., where as oem guides are always oversize and have to be machined down, or the head reamed out. We have never figured out why the factory does this with oem replacement guides, but we won't complain as they keep us in the valve guide business.

Jay

Rick- I don't got mail. Did you get mine? All I can say is it's a good thing that Bill Gates doesn't build airplanes.

I didn't get your e-mail and the one I sent was returned. We cruised by starbucks a couple times but didn't see your bike,we didn't see any place to park either this was about 5:30.try to e-mail me again I'm on AOL and don't usually don't have trouble w/mail.
There were about 4 bikes sitting their mybe one of their riders can verify my existence.

Kirk is your e-mail Kirkcpyland@integrityonlilne or Kirkcpyland@integrityonline If it's the former that's why it did't go through if it's the latter you've got mail

Back