Sneaking up on 200hp at the rear wheel.

Frank- I just visited Web Cams web site. The .395" lift cam is .395"/.378" and is known as the 483/536 grind. I know car engines, not bike engines. 242/244 degrees @.050" sounds like something that I could live with. Web says you need pistons and machine down the valve guides, but if you have tried it and it works, I'd go for it. I respect your opinion. Thanks.

Frank- My box DOES have a lid- the bottom of the gas tank. The only time it doesn't have a lid is when the gas tank is tilted up. I was looking at the box purely as a conduit to move air. As far as the shop vac idea, we would need to hook up a pressure manometer to the air box and see what positive pressures occur at what speeds, and duplicate those readings on the shop vac dyno. I don't think that I am smart enought to figure out how to make variable speed shop vacs that can be controlled as fast as the engine can accelerate the drum on the dyno. I am just going to settle for the concept that the ECM richens the mixture in 5th and 6th, so if I can get it to run right on the dyno in 4th, It should be close. The final high speed tweaks would have to be made under a controlled situation with stable weather where you could make a number of top speed blasts with a GPS unit taped to the bike.

Rick- I don't know yet. Josh is out at PIR for the races this weekend and he's not packing, so I can't get a hold of him. I will call him Monday to set it up. Have you e-mailed me your phone? Do you want to get your bike up on the dyno on the same day? Would you like to meet for coffee at Starbucks on NW 23rd this afternoon or evening? I'll bet the others would get a real kick out of seeing more than one Hayabusa, especially if they are both running.

[This message has been edited by Kirk (edited 05 August 2000).]

Frank & Tom- what kind of retainers and seals are you guys using? I'm wondering if one of you has introduced a variable that has affected your success at installing the 483/536 grind.

>>Call APE and have them balance and lighten your crank. I hear it is good for 10-20 HP<<

No chance of seeing that kind of power increase with one of our cranks. I would say closer to 4, a bit more if the balancer is removed.

The power increase comes from keeping the power that is wasted turning the extra weight, plus the fact that the recountoured counterweights move through the oil mist with considerable less drag.

Jay

Jay, what the best you can do on turnaround time from the day you recieve it?
Also will you perform the same process as falicon does, resulting in a 2 1/2 lb weight reduction in addition to the balancing?
Turnaround time is the big question.

Rick- When & where? I have been known to ride from time to time. You just have to take it a little easy on me.

Pretty sure Jay does those cranks with a 2 week turn around.

It might be possible that he keeps one on the shelf now?(I hope!)

I've talked with at least 7 people getting ready to build motors and I reccomended to them all to send their cranks to Jay.

Kirk, I have some real nice titainum valve spring retainers, and valve springs that both came from APE. These are the best available parts for the Hayabusa like this! Theres no slop with these retainers like the stock ones have.

Omega;

Right now we are running 2 weeks in house, however we will be on the road for a week going to Indy, so that might set it back a little.

We do not follow what Falicon is doing, so I can't give you a comparison. We do remove a goo amount of weight before we balance. Go to aperaceparts.com click on "new products" and scroll down to see a 'busa crank.

Jay

Thanks for the response jay, quality of work being equal the turnaround time is the only factor for me.
Were road warriors and cant go more than a few days max without hearin the music.
I'll check with falicon tomorrow and if its the same then I have to accept it.

Okay, now we are getting somewhere. Peak torque at 7200, peak hp at 11,000. That also sounds like something that I can live with. It must take an auto-shifter to shift it that close to the rev-limiter. What is your altitude and combo. Is this a stock long block? Thanks Frank.

Kirk, frank asked exactly what you did to the box, will you tell us please? I'm curious as to how it's pressurizing w/o it's top...

Frank- I found your mods listed on another thread. Sounds like you've got 60cc and some compression on me, in addition to the head work. I'm going to do the T-bodys when I do the cams this winter. Pull your balancer, man. You've spent all the money for the horsepower you've got, now get some for free. Depending on your altitude, we may or may not be in the same ballpark. How high are you (and how high is Dennis?).

Back