Should I buy a Gen III

wellcraft

Registered
I've never thought of buying a Busa because I was never thrilled with the looks but the Gen III has caught my attention and now I'm thinking of adding one to the stable. I owned a BMW K1300S, 2018 H2SXSE and ZX14R so I'm not new to fast bikes but this would be my first Suzuki so I have a few questions before I pull the trigger.

Are bar risers available or a handlebar kit to give me a more upright riding position?
Peg lowering kit to get a little more leg room?
Aftermarket soft or hard panniers? I do like have some storage capacity
Taller windscreen?
I know insurance rates vary from place to place but what are riders paying? I'm in the northeast just outside of Philadelphia, PA.
What do you like most about the Gen III and least
Any regrets
Any known issues to be aware of?
How many miles do you get per tank?
The bike will be fast enough for me from the factory so I don't have any interest in performance modifications.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all

You Got This Do It GIF by Gerbert!

I've never thought of buying a Busa because I was never thrilled with the looks but the Gen III has caught my attention and now I'm thinking of adding one to the stable. I owned a BMW K1300S, 2018 H2SXSE and ZX14R so I'm not new to fast bikes but this would be my first Suzuki so I have a few questions before I pull the trigger.

Are bar risers available or a handlebar kit to give me a more upright riding position?
Taller windscreen?
I know insurance rates vary from place to place but what are riders paying? I'm in the northeast just outside of Philadelphia, PA.
Any regrets
The bike will be fast enough for me from the factory so I don't have any interest in performance modifications.

Welcome again.........I replied to your other post...

Most if not all of your questions can be answered in the Gen 3 section as there are quite a few threads and posts in there that will help you.

Some love their Gen 3 and others loath it and have moved on from it....others have spent countless hours and money on modifying theirs...

The Gen 3 section is a great resource for you to look over.

Judging by your list of previous bikes, you won't see any performance or comfort gains by getting a Gen 3 Hayabusa without a lot of modifications.

The answer to the majority of your questions is yes (good or bad depending on the question). There is a tremendous amount of information in the Gen 3 section, so be prepared to be immersed. You can also use the general search function to narrow the subject. Welcome to the insanity.

Welcome again.........I replied to your other post...

Most if not all of your questions can be answered in the Gen 3 section as there are quite a few threads and posts in there that will help you.

Some love their Gen 3 and others loath it and have moved on from it....others have spent countless hours and money on modifying theirs...

The Gen 3 section is a great resource for you to look over.

Judging by your list of previous bikes, you won't see any performance or comfort gains by getting a Gen 3 Hayabusa without a lot of modifications.

+1
and I think that last sentence is the best answer by far.

Genmar Risers, Helibars, or a 1" riser under the triple tree. My Gen3 came with a 1" riser already installed.

Buell pegs or aftermarket pegs have been used for years by owners. I have aftermarket pegs, but they are stock height.

Aftermarket soft or hard panniers?

Your choice. I have a Givi Rack & top case, but all I do is travel. Most the guys I ride with have all gone to hard top cases. Just easier for multi-day travel.

Taller windscreen?

Double bubble or Sport-touring screen from Zero Gravity. I've got one on order.

Varys with zip code, age, etc, Full coverage I pay about 1200 a year with aftermarket parts & gear endorsement

What do you like most about the Gen III

Cruise Control is sweet.

Any regrets

Nope. Not a big fan of black bikes, gonna swap the fairings out for red. ;)

Gen3 has master cylinder issues. You pull the brake lever half way & nothing happens. It won't engage till the second half of the travel. There is a recall of this but it's a very narrow band of vin numbers. My Gen3 does exactly what the Recall describes but is not in the Vin range. I'm not quite sure how to fix it. I've ordered Galfer Wave Rotors & EBC Extreme Pro pads but stock bike has rubber brake lines (not steel braided).

The Gen3 has a serious Hot Start issue Suzuki corporate won't admit exists. Some Gen3s have it, others don't. There are tons of forum posts (on this forum), YT vids, and YT shorts on this issue. My Gen3 had it super bad & by 7k on the clock, bike would not start & I replaced the starter clutch (not the issue) and the Starter Torque Limiter (this is the faulty part) but problem came back even with brand new Torque Limiter. My opinion is there is a seriously faulty part on all Gen3s and it's just luck if your bike has this issue or not. It affects A LOT of Gen3s. Silence from Suzuki Corp and many Gen3 owners & dealers are clueless how to fix it.
I've owned four Hayabusas and none of them had a Hot Star Issue or any starting issues for that matter.

This is the faulty part causing the Hot Start Issue, the torque limiter assembly, it's a type of clutch
Torque Limiter Assembly-2.jpg

About 180. My Gen2 pushed over 50mpg & I'd get 220 per tank with easy touring. Mileage averages out to low 40s mpg with relaxed tour riding. Gen3 Mileage is worse then Gen2, but I'm gonna go smaller sprocket in rear. I've got a SuperSprox on backorder. Takes forever to get, months!

Get a scruffy Gen 1 and ride come-what-may....

IMG_0503-M.jpg

Sorta serious. But there are guys doing heroic rides on "Dumb and Dumber" mopeds. Grab a bike and a map and hit the road. Someday I hope to be worthy of a Gen III.

I have never had a bike that had so much social awareness. I was in "Timbuktu" today when a young man in a Civic rolled down the window and hollered: "Love the 'Busa man!!" They are iconic. Buy the bike you are passionate about.

Last edited:
I went from a ZX14R to a Gen3 Busa, a 14R is faster, much stronger top end, real world the Busa is faster as it has more immediate low down power. The electronic suite is far superior to a 14R.
Economy wise im seeing 1mpg difference between the 14R and Busa, did a long run today(brass monkey weather) and was on track to get about 200 miles range from a full tank.
Actually tried a Ducati Streetfighter V4 and an XDiavel. That streetfighter is completely and utterly insane, if you can keep the front wheel down its easily one of the fastest production bikes on the planet (208hp and 392lbs). But back to the Busa.... the standard saddle i managed about 40 minutes before i was in pain, with the suzuki comfort one thats been extended to 60 minutes. There will be a 22 silver for sale soon near Philly as im 99% sure im trading it against the XDiavel.
received_708418926893913.jpeg

Taller windscreen?
Any regrets

Check out this sexy momma! I also love Robert 0046’s but of course I would it’s a sister to mine.
I’ve added Heli bars, fat wide lowered pegs, taller windscreen, Yoshimura slip ons, tank bag, tail bag for longer trips, GoPro, battery bank, GPS, extra decals.
Mine only had the hot start issue one time when brand new probably due to dealer using low octane gas, recent comment from member said it can be caused by using octane lower than what Suzuki recommends, I only use 93 octane so maybe that’s the fix. I have not experienced the front brake issue. My quick shifter works flawless 99 times out of hundred. My fuel mileage is 40-44. If you want to bring the front wheel up just twist the throttle, cruise control is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Zero regrets. I love my gen 3.

34B201CE-6B55-4977-8261-39C2C74637E7.png

I went from a ZX14R to a Gen3 Busa, a 14R is faster, much stronger top end, real world the Busa is faster as it has more immediate low down power. The electronic suite is far superior to a 14R.
Economy wise im seeing 1mpg difference between the 14R and Busa, did a long run today(brass monkey weather) and was on track to get about 200 miles range from a full tank.
Actually tried a Ducati Streetfighter V4 and an XDiavel. That streetfighter is completely and utterly insane, if you can keep the front wheel down it’s easily one of the fastest production bikes on the planet (208hp and 392lbs). But back to the Busa.... the standard saddle i managed about 40 minutes before i was in pain, with the suzuki comfort one thats been extended to 60 minutes. There will be a 22 silver for sale soon near Philly as im 99% sure im trading it against the XDiavel.
View attachment 1674560
Actually tried a Ducati Streetfighter V4 and an XDiavel. That streetfighter is completely and utterly insane, if you can keep the front wheel down its easily one of the fastest production bikes on the planet (208hp and 392lbs). But back to the Busa.... the standard saddle i managed about 40 minutes before i was in pain, with the suzuki comfort one thats been extended to 60 minutes. There will be a 22 silver for sale soon near Philly as im 99% sure im trading it against the XDiavel.
View attachment 1674560
Hey, quick question : is zx14r faster than busa ? Coz I have never ever owned a 14r :(

Gen3 has master cylinder issues. You pull the brake lever half way & nothing happens. It won't engage till the second half of the travel. There is a recall of this but it's a very narrow band of vin numbers. My Gen3 does exactly what the Recall describes but is not in the Vin range. I'm not quite sure how to fix it. I've ordered Galfer Wave Rotors & EBC Extreme Pro pads but stock bike has rubber brake lines (not steel braided).

The Gen3 has a serious Hot Start issue Suzuki corporate won't admit exists. Some Gen3s have it, others don't. There are tons of forum posts (on this forum), YT vids, and YT shorts on this issue. My Gen3 had it super bad & by 7k on the clock, bike would not start & I replaced the starter clutch (not the issue) and the Starter Torque Limiter (this is the faulty part) but problem came back even with brand new Torque Limiter. My opinion is there is a seriously faulty part on all Gen3s and it's just luck if your bike has this issue or not. It affects A LOT of Gen3s. Silence from Suzuki Corp and many Gen3 owners & dealers are clueless how to fix it.
I've owned four Hayabusas and none of them had a Hot Star Issue or any starting issues for that matter.

This is the faulty part causing the Hot Start Issue, the torque limiter assembly, it's a type of clutch
I would only add the QS is also an issue. Like the hot start issue some people will say the QS works fine but there are WAY too many people that have the QS problem and Suzuki doesn't seem like they are going to fix it. For what it's worth I have 12k miles and no hot start issues. I did have the master cylinder issue, but my dealer did the recall swap and it's good to go.

View attachment 1674560
Your bike looks great and thanks for sharing your thoughts I also like the Ducati Diavel and Xdiavel but they're both a little out of my price range. Since you live near Philly Montgomeryville Cycle Center has a 2023 demo Diavel discounted by $2000 so maybe an option for you.

Check out this sexy momma! I also love Robert 0046’s but of course I would it’s a sister to mine.
I’ve added Heli bars, fat wide lowered pegs, taller windscreen, Yoshimura slip ons, tank bag, tail bag for longer trips, GoPro, battery bank, GPS, extra decals.
Mine only had the hot start issue one time when brand new probably due to dealer using low octane gas, recent comment from member said it can be caused by using octane lower than what Suzuki recommends, I only use 93 octane so maybe that’s the fix. I have not experienced the front brake issue. My quick shifter works flawless 99 times out of hundred. My fuel mileage is 40-44. If you want to bring the front wheel up just twist the throttle, cruise control is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Zero regrets. I love my gen 3.

View attachment 1674561
That bike looks great and those slip-ons look so much better than the stock cans thanks for sharing.

Back