Scratching the Sky

what is the practice / technique of sitting on a canopy and hooking your legs around the control lines and stacking up a few people?

Wow! I actually watched the whole thing! Gotta put skydiving on my bucket list!
So, could DB Cooper have survived his jump out of the tail of a 727?!!

what is the practice / technique of sitting on a canopy and hooking your legs around the control lines and stacking up a few people?

That's called CRW (CReW) - Canopy relative work. Extremely dangerous because a collapsing canopy could wrap around other jumpers and make it impossible to pull your reserve. I make it a habit to NEVER touch anyone's canopy in flight intentionally - although unintentionally I did it ONCE...and feel lucky to be alive over it.

Wow! I actually watched the whole thing! Gotta put skydiving on my bucket list!
So, could DB Cooper have survived his jump out of the tail of a 727?!!

What do you think? - the jump didn't kill him, but the landing might have...

sat14_18.jpg

How come nobody uses the board anymore? How can that go out of style......

Difficult to master...Takes up a lot of space/time in aircraft because of exit order...other disciplines became more cool

I've done the DB Cooper jump -- It was an interesting experience, but nowhere near as fun as others. My favorite exit is the biplane. You sit in the front seat, with the pilot in the back, reach up and grab the handholds on the upper wing and he inverts the plane. You are now hanging from the top wing while the plane is flying upside down. You give a wave, geek the camera, and let go. One time I was in one of 4 biplanes flying in formation with one skydiver each. After our exit we swooped to a 4-way and grabbed a couple of grips before opening.

I sure do miss the World Free Fall Convention. Those were some good times.

--Sky

I sure do miss the World Free Fall Convention. Those were some good times.

--Sky

My Fav was chunking an 18-way off the tailgate of a C-130...broke up right after exit but..wow...

I went to the WFFC every year 94-2006 except 95. Spend most of my time in Load Organizer Tent 1, jumping with Lemonhead and Mike Crow (still good buds of mine). I used to have a daily diary website linked to the WFFC homepage for several years. I was really bummed when it stopped.

I only got there three times, each time flying to the boogie in the Local DZ's twin otter. It was a long way from Seattle & not so easy to do via commercial aviation. There was a lottery every year to see who could get a spot on the otter.

--Sky

Back