running from \"the man\"

Gee,I didn't know running from the law/man could get you killed topic turned into a bragging rights about drag racing!!!!! Maybe a new topic should be made or posted.

I'll loan you the oil out of my own crankcase until it's time but when we are on deck, make no mistake about it - this is a gunfight, and there is no second place. I'm not alone on this. Look at all the "burn downs" and such that occur even at the sportsman level. I'll wait (even on deck) for you to jump start your car, fix a minor leak, etc. because I want you to have a fair chance, but when the track personel direct me to stage, I'm in there. I used to drive a car that had too many pedals, liked to hike the front end a foot and a half going into 3rd gear, and just basically liked to take the long way around (a quarter mile was 1400 feet to this car). I did not let anyone rush me. I ran my own race, to the point of putting a little strip of electrical tape on my helmet's face sheild to block out his side of the tree. This of course was before they put blinders on the tree. You are there to win and two years in a row, I got lucky and actually turned a profit at drag racing.

How about combining topics. Years ago, I wanted to combine my interest in drag racing with police work. I called the city of Phoenix to get some info about their "Beat the Heat" program. I think it went something like this: They took an old patrol vehicle that had no value and donated it to the program. Local businesses sponsored the conversion and upkeep. The local kids would race in their own eliminator, and the winner of that eliminator got to race against the police officer in their Pro ET patrol vehicle. If the kid won, he got a t-shirt that said "I beat the heat.". If he lost, he got a t-shirt that said "I got beat by the heat.". I don't know if they still do it or not. I think that it was a marked 4 door 9C1 Malibu with a light bar on top, a 355 V8, Weld racing wheels, slicks, roll bar, line loc, the whole nine yards.

And to get completely off subject, do you know where the phrase "the whole nine yards" came from? In WWII, many combat aircraft were armed with variations of the Browning M2 .50 Caliber heavy machine gun. The .50BMG ammo was linked into belts, that when layed out, were 27 feet long. So giving someone "the whole nine yards" was not a good thing for them.

And to continue for no particular reason, did you know that Dr. Ruth Westheimer (the tiny little old lady with the funny accent that thinks that everybody should be a member of LA Busas) was a police sniper?

Back