Removing the engine

Fredyp33

Registered
From what I hear, I need to drop the engine and tranny out, to remove the tranny and have it sent off to be undercut. Does anybody have any suggestions or advice before I dive into this project. Anything would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Fred.

Take your time. If you have front and rear stands, use them. It's much easier to drop the engine; more clearance. If you're mechanically inclined, just follow the service manual. I recommend putting each nut, bolt, washer, part, etc. into plastic cups and labeling as you go. It will make installation much easier.

I've had my engine out and apart each year for the last 3 years, chasing a coolant leak
crazy.gif
Finally found the culprit; cracked head.

Anyway, here's a shot of how I organized some stuff...

post-6-57590-CIMG2586__Medium_.JPG

I'm sure some of our more technically-savvy members will have some advice for you. Hang on.

I have a flat oil pan and a bike lift, I use a jack and remove the rear wheel and put the axle back in and lower the bike down untill it is resting on the oil pan. Then remove everything attched to the engine, chain ,mounting bolts ect. then just jack the frame up untill the engine is clear. One person job:beerchug:

if you still have a stock oil pan you should remove it and the pickup. Using the pan as a template make yourself some strong and flat that follows the oil pan mounting points. Bolt it to the bottom of your engine and then it's much easier to use your floor jack to hold/drop/raise the engine from the frame.

I made one out of 1/2 plywood and coated (rattlecanned) the so to say inside so oil doesn't soak into the wood.

btw, getting it out is the easy part. Post up when you're ready to put it back in. Should take about ten mintues.

This guy could have some info for you in his videos.
They are numbered, but not in order, so start at #1.
Helped me a little, with the different views.

Rebuilding the engine on my mighty Turbo Hayabusa - Video Search Results - AOL Video

Back