How do you mod your Busa engine for performance?

3WheelerMod

Registered
So I am playing a bit of the "newbie" card here. So I will start off by saying sorry if this has been discussed a million times.
A little History about me. I have owned many bikes, all styles all different displacements. The Busa is by far the biggest engine I have dealt with. Prior to this I was a big Kawi man. had a zx7 and put a bored Zx9 engine in that.
I tore down the engine myself. Had the head done by my local shop, sent the block to Muzzy, tranny undercut.. blah blah blah... put it back together myself. So I am confident in my abilities but have never done anything like Port/polish a head myself or cylinder bores. I am confident in the basic stuff, Re-jetting carbs, using Power Commanders etc.

As I learn about building the big Busa, as always everyone has their opinion. My local guys says based on bang for the buck he would
1. Get the valves done, new springs etc (no port or polish)
2. Big bore kit. 1397 (nothing to aggressive)
3. Undercut Trans
4. clutch mod
5. Full exhaust
6. PC
7. ECU flash
For a Gen I, He said I should have no problem getting 180+ HP
I am putting this in a custom 3 Wheeler so 180+ HP would be more than enough.

However, on this forum I have had people tell me "..... big bore kit without the head being ported and polished is a waste of time). I get it that everyone has their opinion. so I guess I would put it to you guys. What do you think the best mods (in order of priority) for a BUSA engine?

Thoughts?
Todd

There are plenty of guys on here that run stroker or bigger displacement motors without a port n polish. Think about it in terms of this, and Ryan, I thank you for simplifying these motors to me. What is a port n polish? Does it increase low end torque? Does it increase the power range of the cam? How much time will you be spending in the 9k and up rpm range? Does a port n polish on a small displacement motor like a 1.4L busa have as significant effect on a motor as say a small block chevy? Does .1 or even .2, hell .3 on a quarter mile time mean a port n polish is the way to go $ for $?

My opinion, for what it is worth, go with your plan. Forget the fancy head work. If you need more ass after that, take it to a competent tuner and throw a 40 shot at it. Ive seen the plugs from stock motors running 80 shots tuned so well that you wouldnt be able to tell a difference after 80 passes. Nitrous does wear out motors....That arent tuned properly. Guys at the local track here, run stock gen 2's, 40 shots, 2 years without any problems. Drive to work, drive around town, go to the track, spray it when at the track. No problems. Just needs tuned properly and the internals to handle the shot.

Best mods on a Gen1 for power? Whats your budget? 3mil w head/cams is a nasty combo and makes for an awesome daily driver. But just a 3mil w stock head/cams is,IMO,a waste. You'll get 7-10rwhp for all that hard work and time.

I agree with oldgixxer. That engine needs to breathe. If you have the money to do it, I would definitely do head and bigger cams with the 1397. Without it it would be a waste. If not in the budget I would do head and cams over 1397 kit. More bang for buck. If you really have the funds add a gem II crank and up it to 1441. Or just throw a stage one RCC turbo on it and ride around all day with 230 ish horsepower.

A ported head from a reputable shop will yield you @ best a couple HP...... I've spoke with builders who know busa's inside and out. Who've taken the same bike and Dyno'd it with a ported head and a stock head on the same day under the same conditions etc. There wasn't this vast increase in HP like you would be led to believe. Does it help yes but it is merely 1 piece of the puzzle. It's when you take ALL the pieces and put them together is when those few ponies here and there add up to a lot of HP. There's been a ton of guys who've done a 1397 & cams with out a port job and still made good HP on a Gen1 motor. Honestly the person who you have tune your bike is gonna be way more important than a port job. You can have all the performance mods in the world on your bike but if you have some hack tune it that has no clue on what he's doing your never gonna scratch the potential of that motor

There are a lot of opinions out there, and many ways to skin a cat. How about a Gen 1 with STOCK pistons, slightly ported head, mild cams and a good pipe making
200 rwhp? It can be done . . . however, if you are sold on doing the 1397, get some head work, cams, modify the airbox (small mod), flash that ecu and get a good tune. You will be way over your target . . . :laugh:

Thanks a ton for all the info !!! This is very helpful. I am meeting with my guy this weekend to talk over the final mods.
Of Course HE wants me to build a 300 HP Turbo busa... but the funds are not there. Someday though... :thumbsup:

BTW.. another interesting thing will be the airbox... I was not planning on using one.. based on my three wheeler I am building I was just going to put K&N filters on or nothing.... Bad?

Thanks a ton for all the info !!! This is very helpful. I am meeting with my guy this weekend to talk over the final mods. Of Course HE wants me to build a 300 HP Turbo busa... but the funds are not there. Someday though... :thumbsup: BTW.. another interesting thing will be the airbox... I was not planning on using one.. based on my three wheeler I am building I was just going to put K&N filters on or nothing.... Bad?
depending how deeply you go into the engine, a 300 hp turbo gen one may only be a few hundred dollars more but would be well worth it. Ask the sponsors here what their price would be to build a 300 ho turbo versus a 1397 motor bike. I think you will be surprised at how close the pricing is. Powerhouse and Boosted Cycle Performance are the ones to speak to.

Do you have a gen 1 motor now? If so, why not sell it and buy a used gen II motor from a salvage? That will put you in/around 180 alone with a hell of a lot better ecu and if you want to spray that for more ass, its too easy.

Back