Rear brake your best friend? Read on!

You could be right on that one, Ken. Quadraplegic was my choice of words since his arms and hands have limited use at best. I don't think he can use his fingers for the keyboard but I could be mistaken on the extent of use he has?

Anyway you cut it, sad result of a teenager on the road before he is old enough to be licensed.

Here's a video of him rowing his wheel chair! Guy sure has perseverance and courage. :thumbsup:

cheers
ken

Don't sell your rear brake on ebay, there is a reason it is fitted to your bike.

Yeah but reasons and scenario's of such reasons are, seemingly---futile .

People plain get out typed :laugh:

I'm not a closet rear brake user -- from playing around to usage of it for methods of running into or setting up a particular corner on a particular bike ---- --- I am a rear brake user ! :beerchug:

Mamola lands the Space Shuttle at 2:16 here :thumbsup:

2008 & Randy mamola ....‬‏ - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump - because this is a very worthwhile thread. I've read threads on rear brake usage before, but this thread really helped implant the message and make distinctions.

What I'm taking out of this for me:
  • Practice aggressive braking more often (I only did it once after reading a previous thread)
  • Stop using the rear brake on the street (when there's good traction). I grew up on dirt bikes and love sliding the rear wheel but I now agree that always using the rear brake will keep it a reflex action.
  • Disable the rear brake on my first track day
  • Next street bike, get ABS.
However, I will continue practicing using the rear brake with throttle for very low speed tight manueveurs.

My bike has over 18,000 miles on it and the rear brake pads are not noticeably worn.
I use my rear brake on the wet grass in the yard, as a parking brake at stop lights sometimes, occasionally in a parking lot maneuver, and to keep the front end down over the top of this one hill down in the twisties.

But on the dirt bike I'll go through 2-3 sets of rear pads to one front. Amazing how totally different 2 disiplines of the same machine can be.

Bump - because this is a very worthwhile thread. I've read threads on rear brake usage before, but this thread really helped implant the message and make distinctions.

What I'm taking out of this for me:
  • Practice aggressive braking more often (I only did it once after reading a previous thread)
  • Stop using the rear brake on the street (when there's good traction). I grew up on dirt bikes and love sliding the rear wheel but I now agree that always using the rear brake will keep it a reflex action.
  • Disable the rear brake on my first track day
  • Next street bike, get ABS.
However, I will continue practicing using the rear brake with throttle for very low speed tight manueveurs.

Will a bike pass tech at a track day with a disabled rear brake?

Now youz guys got me skeered of using the throttle, it will put ya on yer a$$ just as fast as the rear brake.

Most of these high sides looks like they used the rear brakes?

I believe (and Tuf can correct me): The first two crashes were throttle-induced highsides; grabbing too much throttle will break the rear loose too. Highside occurs when rear breaks, moves the rear of the bike out of line, then grips again to quickly and the bike tries to compensate ('snaps').

The crash at 1:20, and some of the other crashes, were lowsides; the front broke lose first. A lowside is preferred over a highside any day.

Back