Real head scratcher

Dan Frailey

Registered
Hi everyone, I got a weird one here. I replaced my front wheel bearing, rotors, and pads. I found serious brake drag. The problem is from the right (brake lever) side. The caliper is so far out it is almost touching the rotor...
Thought it would be a alignment issue so I realigned the forks. Nothing changed. The truly odd thing is that its only on the one side...WTH

20230413_114522.jpg

Screenshot_20230413-151131_Gallery.jpg

Which one of these posts are we answering to?

The pins look nasty too, they need to be spotless and lightly lubed as they will cause the pads to stick.

Hard to diagnose from a couple pictures though..

Try taking the pads out, cleaning the sliding pins and sliders (holes) on the pads, check the pistons...clean them really good and then (by using a piece of wood and a clamp) , slowly retract the pistons, but not too much, you are checking to see how easily they move...if they are a real bear to move, you will have a seized piston which will need to be freed up...

Are the pistons stuck in on one side of that caliper?
Only the inside pistons are moving out when the brakes are applied?
I know this is a weird problem. At first it looks a piston problem. The calipers were rebuilt. The pistons all move freely. The caliper is just that far over.

Which one of these posts are we answering to?

The pins look nasty too, they need to be spotless and lightly lubed as they will cause the pads to stick.

Hard to diagnose from a couple pictures though..

Try taking the pads out, cleaning the sliding pins and sliders (holes) on the pads, check the pistons...clean them really good and then (by using a piece of wood and a clamp) , slowly retract the pistons, but not too much, you are checking to see how easily they move...if they are a real bear to move, you will have a seized piston which will need to be freed up...
Sorry, on the double posts. New to posting. I know the picture is distracting with some piston showing. But, If you imagine that side of piston all the way in, that would show yhe problem. The rotor and caliper are stationary. And the rotor, or caliper is way off. Nothing to do with piston movement or cleaning.

Any better pictures...?

What year bike are we looking at?
Imagine no pads, and the pistons pushed all the way in flush. The roter would be almost a 1/4" too far to the outside. I've even realigned the forks. Didn't help. Definitely a spacing issue. Just can't figure it out. Mainly because it only one side...

Screenshot_20230414_162510.jpg

Sorry, on the double posts. New to posting. I know the picture is distracting with some piston showing. But, If you imagine that side of piston all the way in, that would show yhe problem. The rotor and caliper are stationary. And the rotor, or caliper is way off. Nothing to do with piston movement or cleaning.
Are all the components stock? Rim, calipers front end?

Are the bearings seated all the way?

The

Not stuck, looking at it the rotor doesn't move left to right. So where would the piston push it?
I meant that the pistons in one caliper, and on one side of that caliper, were stuck, and stuck near their closed resting position.
And the other side's pistons(same caliper) were moving as they should.
Given that the pads float left/right on pins.
This was the best guess given the information provided.
More pictures and info are needed for a better asessment.

Are all the components stock? Rim, calipers front end?

Are the bearings seated all the way?
Bou
I meant that the pistons in one caliper, and on one side of that caliper, were stuck, and stuck near their closed resting position.

Hay sorry, I should have been more Specific with what it is not. I am new at posting and didn't realize All the response I would get with the obvious. I know the pads and pistons are all very distracting. Even with the pistons in and the pads out the rotor almost touches the caliper housing. I guess this is not a break issue per se it is more of a spacing issue

20230414_181436.jpg

The pistons on the right have no where to go. They can't move left, because the rotor is there. Neither the caliper, OR the rotor move side to side on these bikes. That's the dilemma. ‍♂️

I take it there was no spacing issue before you did the work?

The question is-what's changed?

If it were me, I'd take it all apart and start again...

Something is amiss...
Got the bike used. Seemed ok. Then bearing leaked rust. Pad on that side was worn to almost nothing. I assumed it was from the clunky bearing. New bearings seated. New rotors. Only one side is way off. Both sides of the wheel move together. So I don't know how but one side is wrong.
I've never taken a bike to a shop, but this might be the first..
Thanks for the advice. Ride safe.

Got the bike used. Seemed ok. Then bearing leaked rust. Pad on that side was worn to almost nothing. I assumed it was from the clunky bearing. New bearings seated. New rotors. Only one side is way off. Both sides of the wheel move together. So I don't know how but one side is wrong.
I've never taken a bike to a shop, but this might be the first..
Thanks for the advice. Ride safe.
@sixpack577 is right on the money (as usual) with his diagnosis based on scant description of fault . . .
if only @Berlin Germany was here to assess the issue AND the lack of info lmao!

It's obvious that the pistons on the inside of that caliper are SEIZED in the 'pushed inward' position in the caliper.
Take the INNER brake pad out and pump the brake to move the pistons from their seized position.
Then remove the caliper and rebuild it with the parts need, i.e new seals and pistons etc.

You never answered the questions, "What bike and the model etc, brand of caliper?"
Whenever you are asking for technical advice re any problem on a bike, please always state the make and year model of the bike, and all modifications on the bike.

@sixpack577 is right on the money (as usual) with his diagnosis based on scant description of fault . . .
if only @Berlin Germany was here to assess the issue AND the lack of info lmao!

It's obvious that the pistons on the inside of that caliper are SEIZED in the 'pushed inward' position in the caliper.
Take the INNER brake pad out and pump the brake to move the pistons from their seized position.
Then remove the caliper and rebuild it with the parts need, i.e new seals and pistons etc.

You never answered the questions, "What bike and the model etc, brand of caliper?"
Whenever you are asking for technical advice re any problem on a bike, please always state the make and year model of the bike, and all modifications on the bike.
2005 Hayabusa stock.. chrome wheels.. What appears OBVIOUS, as with a lot of things, requires closer look into. With both sides pistons pushed in completely, the rotor touches the outer pad. A large gap is in between pad and rotor on the other (inside). Also, if the rotor is up against pad, with the pistons ALL the way in, then obviously they can’t push out anyways. Also it is a black colored motorcycle. Thanks

20230414_181436.jpg

Back