front brakes

psdiesel911

Registered
today i noticed my front brakes getting very noisy (scraping) although i just replaced the pads about 2 and a half weeks ago. The right side caliper pads are almost gone but the left side caliper pads are still almost new. Has any one ever heard of one side working more than the other? the pucks seem to be evenly spaced and centered on the rotor. I can also squeeze the lever all the way to the handle bar which sounds like it needs to be bled but it still shouldn't cause all this trouble should it?

Sounds like a bad caliper...how many miles on the bike and what year ???
Posted via Mobile Device

Did you wear out the right side pads in 2 1/2 weeks?
If the lever moves like that it sounds like air in the line to the left caliper (would explain why it isn't working, and still like new)

You could also get that when the pads are worn and the fluid level drops. Check that caliper out :thumbsup:

I would say time to pull apart and service caliper,lots of grime build up....

its a 2001 with almost 21,000 on it. i was thinking maybe a clogged line on the left side but the calipers are probably in need a servicing anyway

Sounds like you definitely have air in one of the calipers. If enough air is in the right side caliper it can expand enough to make the pads drag on the disc. That is about the only way I can see the pads being worn so much in so little time.

I would say time to pull apart and service caliper,lots of grime build up....

Remove caliper from disc. Squeeze the lever couple time and watch pistons come out a bit. Dollar store nylon brush and some soap and water will clean that area up good. Around each piston and the slot in the caliper.
Remove res. cap and push back pistons. Reinstall caliper over disc.
Is it stock lines? or 2 lines down? Bleed left caliper first if it is one down and one over. then that nite do the Zip tie trick.... pull lever as hard as you can and put a zip tie on it. leave the cap loose during this .. In the morning release the zip tie and you should have a rock solid brake lever.....

Other may correct me .. i am kinda new to this but made a big difference on mine..

Good luck.

its a 2001 with almost 21,000 on it. i was thinking maybe a clogged line on the left side but the calipers are probably in need a servicing anyway
never heard of a "plugged" brake line.. some composite factory lines (on cars) have been known to delaminate internally holding pressure but that is pretty noticeable.. also make double sure that there is a tiny bit of play in the brake handle.. if it rides on the plunger, it does not allow the relief port to open allowing fluid to travel back up the line from the calipers.. (this can be dangerous)

I would bet grunge in the caliper or the seals have gone hard..

the way the piston seals work is they rock a bit on application.. when you roll off the brake, the seal tries to re-seat (go back to flat) and it pulls on the piston a tiny bit. When the seals go hard, they loose that "rocking" action and the pads tend to drag a little bit..

really easy job (rebuilding calipers) but make sure you clean everything thoroughly, use only brake cleaner on parts and dry them, and pre-lube everything with your DOT4 fluid on reassembly.. I am not a fan of a partial cleaning myself...

Last edited:
Back