Pulled Over for Follow Up on Evading - Austin TX

Actually your mistaken,
"probable cause" is what is needed to make an arrest.... and a trip to jail,

"reasonable suspicion" (what your calling a "legitimate reason") is all that is needed to make an investigatory field stop (Terry stop) (temporary detaining someone just long enough to dispell an officers concern that they may be a suspect in a crime.

that being said, I believe those officers should have given Kevin a courteous explanation of why he was being stopped after the second officer figured out he was not a suspect. turning it over to an "investigator" sounds like BS. They stopped a bike that looked like a suspects bike, thats ok. once they believed Kevin was not involved, its time for an apology for wasting Kevins time.

Just my opinion.

Agreed. If I were in this position and they told me why and were curious about it, I personally would feel safer because they were doing their job, but the attitudes they (most of the LEO's I 'run' in to) usually feels like you do the day after buying a used car. I have been that guy that "fit the description" more than one time in my life. And it sucks. (hence my great dislike to LE)

Now turning it over to an 'investigator' I would be clueless about as I don't know that process. My question, especially to any LEO's that are on the board, are"

1. Does the attitude come with the job? Not being funny, but looking for understanding. i.e. Does being and arse to everyone help keep control of the situation which in your job, you need to keep control.

2. In THIS situation, would he have any recourse? I don't mean to go after the cop that stopped him, but more so to know that he won't be harassed any more. I.e. find the 'investigator' to cooperate in the investigation.

3. Should he document everything so that if he continuously gets pulled over to see if he is "that guy" that we couldn't catch over a month ago?

As much as I dislike LEO's 'doing their job' I'm not saying not to be compliant nor that we don't need them, just sayin, in my life, I've "fit the description" way too many times...

Doing your job is one thing, but look at like this.. Say a white chevy pickup runs from the cops and by some miracle gets away. Are the cops going to pull over every white chevy truck until they miraculously find the culprit? No. Just because some idiot ran from the cops everyone with an orange/black busa in Austin is going to be pulled over by these guys and "documented"... Seems more like harrassment to me than "doing their job".

It sounds to me like they are merely on a "fishing expedition", i.e. someone on a Busa ran from them, they couldn't identify the bike (they clearly didn't get the registration details), so they pull over every bike fitting the description just to see if the rider will be stupid enough to admit that it was him.
As always, when dealing with the Popo, give them only the bare minimum information that you are required to and nothing more. Keep your mouth shut and they won't be able to fit you up on BS charges. (This is advice I was given by my grandfather...who was a Judge!)

For doing their job? Seriously?

Yes because they lie not all because not all cops are bad just like not all rice rocket riders are bad... But it does happen they are just shooting to get lucky. There are bad cops out there they are just humans like everyone else. I probably wouldnt care once maybe twice if I kept getting pulled over I would definatly document and press for harrassment.

Speaking of which as I hope to not be that guy because next week I will be riding from Abilene to Houston, just don't know if I want to go the boring way of hwy36 or via 83 to 71 by the way of Austin.. Which will bring me right down I35:beerchug:

Right or wrong LEOs deal with the ugly side of society most of the time and it becomes hard for some or even many to shut off that protective wall/ attitude. who knows what kind of crap he has already seen that day, fatal accident, beaten kid, you name it. Not an excuse but it does happen.

Speaking of which as I hope to not be that guy because next week I will be riding from Abilene to Houston, just don't know if I want to go the boring way of hwy36 or via 83 to 71 by the way of Austin.. Which will bring me right down I35:beerchug:

take 36:whistle:

Yeah what really sucks is now every time I ride to/from work I will be watched for any minor traffic infraction because someone else who owns the only other orange and black hayabusa in the world apparently decided to run from cops.

Seems to me that if they pull you again and you ask that it to be noted that you are legal and that you are not to be harassed anymore. Tell them that you will get a lawyer if needed to stop it. This is what I had to do back in the day with my car. I got pulled a few times and I went to the State police and ask them to give me a letter stating that my car was legal and that they pass the word about it and what my intentions were if I were to keep being pulled for no reason. I never got pulled over again after that. I hope this helps

Who said they were doing their job?

2 years ago the ex-wife had an incident in the front yard with a CHP, and she went to jail. She can be mouthy. On the police report was his name. I will call him BoneHead.

The ex and neighbors would tell me that a CHP would drive down our street and stop in front of our home. I would leave the bike in the front next to my truck with the lic plate facing the street. I thought nothing of it.

A couple months later I got pulled over by a CHP. He said he pulled me over because I pulled in front of him as he was accellerating and almost ran me over. I looked at his name. It was Officer BoneHead. BS, OK. BoneHead is a liar. I passed BoneHead while he was 2 lanes to my right, stuck behind a pack of big rigs in both lanes. Officer BoneHead could not have changed lanes if he wanted to.

I was 1/4 mile ahead of him when I saw him in my mirror, and he was coming fast. Red lights, I pulled over and the BS began from Officer BoneHead. He lied to my face, but I knew what he was trying to do. BoneHead wanted to get an emotion out of me. I said very little, and gave BoneHead my lic and proff of ins as he got to my side. BoneHead asked where I was headed? Work. Where do you work? At the job.

BoneHead asked if he was going to have to give me a ticket? I said I hope not. BoneHead was trying to get my goat, I kept my cool. BoneHead wrote down some of my info on a note pad, gave me my lic/ins back and told me to be careful, that is a powerful bike. I said "not powerful enough".

I went on my way. BoneHead, that lying piece of trash went his way.

I have respect for the men and women LEO`s.

But when they get out of line, all respect goes out the window.

People get SO involved in the situation that they forget about there Emotions........... Stay Calm............State your case then move on .....:moon:

Emotions get you in Trouble Every Time :rulez:

I welcome a cop to stop me. gives me a moment to stretch, crack my knuckles and then continue.

ps bosshound, i hope your 03 snapper is red, that is the fastest color.

Yeah, if it was the same area within an hour of the felony. One month later doesn't cut it.

This is an assumption, but I will bet you have never “fit the descriptionâ€￾.:beerchug:

I have! I almost crapped my pants as I was being ripped off my bike pushed to the ground at gun point and cuffed.

Oh we're sorry wrong dude.:whistle:

Wrong place, wrong time. Someone lost their job over that little incident.

I have! I almost crapped my pants as I was being ripped off my bike pushed to the ground at gun point and cuffed.

Oh we're sorry wrong dude.:whistle:

Wrong place, wrong time. Someone lost their job over that little incident.

As it should be. I sure couldn't be a cop; I don't have the patience. I'd probably shoot some idiot by the third day...being a police officer is like watching "the people of wal-mart" all day...

I remember getting pulled over @ the airport on my busa. I came to watch the planes take off but the cop told me that i had no business being there if not for flight-related reasons. I ststed that the garage complex was regularly used by aviation enthusiasts. He asked me a few questions and made a really snide remark at the last answer. I was calm and respectful. He was visibly full of angst, and seemed ready to pull me off the bike and bodyslam me. He then said if my partner sees u not leave the premises he will pull u over and write u up with a big ticket.

Btw, this was just an isolated instance. Most police I've met on a pull over seemed to be ok. I think once u display disrespect in any form, ur gonna get raped.
Posted via Mobile Device

As it should be. I sure couldn't be a cop; I don't have the patience. I'd probably shoot some idiot by the third day...being a police officer is like watching "the people of wal-mart" all day...

Only you have to talk to them and instantly solve their problems which they have spent a life time creating.

??? wow they so crazy and i was of going up there for rot this year and now i really keep a eye for the cops :cheerleader:

1710007269608.jpeg

flashing lights cops GIF

Back