Pulled Over for Follow Up on Evading - Austin TX

A reason might be, lets say Kevin was the offender just hypothetically, next time this happens maybe the cops go stake out Kevin's neighborhood and here he coming whizzing up with the redhead on the back. Busted. Many crimes solved this way by gathering intel. However the intel still needs to be gathered legally....

How about next time this happens, one of the PD Helis that are seemingly senselessly flying around I-35 every other day follows this guy til he runs out of gas or kills himself trying...

There are other more effective ways of catching these guys.

Well, I would think that if I was going to run from the cop I would have done so when he was riding dangerously close to the back of my bike going 60 miles an hour down I-35 radioing in my license plate for a half mile. If I were a cop I probably wouldnt have hit my lights after following a bike that close for that long who i suspected runs from cops. No one who runs from cops would let them get close enough long enough to read their plate...

But, you make a decent point as this crossed my mind before rationalizing above.

He wanted a read on your plate (to see if you had any want/warrants/history) before pulling you over - to make sure you wern't gonna pull a gun on him - after all, the last guy RAN and might SHOOT if cornered the way he had you...

All you can do is stop, do your best to convince him it's not you (be polite and respectful) and let him do his job.

I know some people who would say that, but what does that have to do with the comment you made about hp, speed and being pulled over?

I didn't get that, I thought his point was "don't buy a vehicle that can exceed the speed limit if you don't want to get pulled over. Regardless, just because a bike or any vehicle ran, that doesn't make it right for them to pull over every thing that looks familiar.

With 1 said vehicle discription....yeah it does dude. Sorry, it's a felony.

With 1 said vehicle discription....yeah it does dude. Sorry, it's a felony.

Yeah, if it was the same area within an hour of the felony. One month later doesn't cut it.

This is an assumption, but I will bet you have never “fit the descriptionâ€￾.:beerchug:

He wanted a read on your plate (to see if you had any want/warrants/history) before pulling you over - to make sure you wern't gonna pull a gun on him - after all, the last guy RAN and might SHOOT if cornered the way he had you...

All you can do is stop, do your best to convince him it's not you (be polite and respectful) and let him do his job.

Agreed... And I did as you suggested. :)

Another bike cop showed up and positively identified my bike
2011-05-27200752081.jpg

I am going t have ot call BS on this, the Busa is too fast to be positively identified.

He probably said, it was soooo fast, it had to be a Busa.:bowdown::bowdown:

I know some people who would say that, but what does that have to do with the comment you made about hp, speed and being pulled over?QUOTE]

never meet anyone that bought a camry with the same passion they bought a hayabusa with.

My point is, there is a certain perception one gathers (call it profiling) when you ride our bike. Look how many polls/threads there are about going 150pmh or "I hate when people want to race" I really dont know how to make it any clearer. IF you dont want to be profiled the dont fit the profile. If you think that is not fair then stand up and defend your right to a fast bike, wearing a turban, owning a pit bull, living in a trailer. Whoever you are, you have a profile like it or not.

If they do not have a "legitimate" reason...it's called probable cause...then it is harrassment.
Posted via Mobile Device

Actually your mistaken,
"probable cause" is what is needed to make an arrest.... and a trip to jail,

"reasonable suspicion" (what your calling a "legitimate reason") is all that is needed to make an investigatory field stop (Terry stop) (temporary detaining someone just long enough to dispell an officers concern that they may be a suspect in a crime.

that being said, I believe those officers should have given Kevin a courteous explanation of why he was being stopped after the second officer figured out he was not a suspect. turning it over to an "investigator" sounds like BS. They stopped a bike that looked like a suspects bike, thats ok. once they believed Kevin was not involved, its time for an apology for wasting Kevins time.

Just my opinion.

Yeah, if it was the same area within an hour of the felony. One month later doesn't cut it.

This is an assumption, but I will bet you have never “fit the descriptionâ€￾.:beerchug:

This is also an assumption, but i think you have?

Question is how long before he pulled you over did the incident occur? If it was more than an hour (ish) then yes he would need more probable cause than the follow up to pull you over. Looks like he is writing a ticket? In the case of a felony some latitude has to be afforded. It sounds like your only out a little bit of time. You can certainly file a complaint with the department if the incident occurred the day before or a significant amount of time prior to you being pulled over if he had no other reason.

This is true, if it had just occurred, then its OK.

If it was later than that, not ok.

I know some people who would say that, but what does that have to do with the comment you made about hp, speed and being pulled over?QUOTE]

never meet anyone that bought a camry with the same passion they bought a hayabusa with.

My point is, there is a certain perception one gathers (call it profiling) when you ride our bike. Look how many polls/threads there are about going 150pmh or "I hate when people want to race" I really dont know how to make it any clearer. IF you dont want to be profiled the dont fit the profile. If you think that is not fair then stand up and defend your right to a fast bike, wearing a turban, owning a pit bull, living in a trailer. Whoever you are, you have a profile like it or not.

Hey !!!

I resemble that remark !!! :laugh:

is it too late for me to get in on some cop bashing? It is so much fun :laugh:

Vebusa, we are on the same page here. I have not bashed the cop for doing his job, but I did mention the fact that I was treated very disrespectfully after being pulled over on my way to work just like any other law obiding citizen except for the fact I was on a bike.

I am an ex-correctional offer and understand "doing my job", believe me. The purpose of me posting this was not to start a police bashing session, but as my original post states "an FYI" to people riding in Austin. Perhaps the person that they are looking for is a member on this thread... :whistle:

My comments weren't aimed at you at all :) I see the thread spiraling downward as they usually do if any discussion of police/being pulled over comes up. I just wanted to warn those that seem to continually bring threads down like this, they won't be allowed. We hate to see a simple discussion turn to nothing but hatred for someone doing their job...

Thanks for the clarification though; we're good :thumbsup:

For doing their job? Seriously?

Who said they were doing their job?

2 years ago the ex-wife had an incident in the front yard with a CHP, and she went to jail. She can be mouthy. On the police report was his name. I will call him BoneHead.

The ex and neighbors would tell me that a CHP would drive down our street and stop in front of our home. I would leave the bike in the front next to my truck with the lic plate facing the street. I thought nothing of it.

A couple months later I got pulled over by a CHP. He said he pulled me over because I pulled in front of him as he was accellerating and almost ran me over. I looked at his name. It was Officer BoneHead. BS, OK. BoneHead is a liar. I passed BoneHead while he was 2 lanes to my right, stuck behind a pack of big rigs in both lanes. Officer BoneHead could not have changed lanes if he wanted to.

I was 1/4 mile ahead of him when I saw him in my mirror, and he was coming fast. Red lights, I pulled over and the BS began from Officer BoneHead. He lied to my face, but I knew what he was trying to do. BoneHead wanted to get an emotion out of me. I said very little, and gave BoneHead my lic and proff of ins as he got to my side. BoneHead asked where I was headed? Work. Where do you work? At the job.

BoneHead asked if he was going to have to give me a ticket? I said I hope not. BoneHead was trying to get my goat, I kept my cool. BoneHead wrote down some of my info on a note pad, gave me my lic/ins back and told me to be careful, that is a powerful bike. I said "not powerful enough".

I went on my way. BoneHead, that lying piece of trash went his way.

I have respect for the men and women LEO`s.

But when they get out of line, all respect goes out the window.

Ok.. just don't want to read 4 pages through, so if it's been said already.. SORRY.

I am NOT cop friendly as they usually aren't towards me. And I give them no reason really to be either. That said and done, if I were pulled over for something that happened the night before or something, I'd have some understanding of it, but didn't I read you say it was LAST month that they ran? My first question would be "So out of all the DMV records I've got the only registered orange and black busa in town? Oh, it's the only one stretched? Oh.. ok.. my bad.." Which would have brought me to my next question.... "If I ran last time, why didn't I run today? Just curious?"

I would have taken their info (if it's not on the warning or whatever). If I never heard from them again, sure, I'd leave it alone, but if it becomes a problem, you best have your documentation. If not, it will be twisted up to make you out to be the bad guy. Trust from experience.

LEOs like any other profession are made up of people. Not all of them good. Karma is a beast and always catches up one way or another.

Back