Possible track bike

moloko

Banned
98 600 GSXR. Fairings have some rash in spots and some small cracks (can't see in photo) 50k miles. Runs and Drives... second gear pops out around 6k rpm.

Says he has extra plastics, swingarm, forks, subframe from a later year GSXR.

I could pick it up for 1200 bucks.. on an interest free payment program of a couple hundred bucks a week even!

Second gear thing has me worried. Is it a complete PITA to fix or replace? Expensive?

What do you guys think?

62951283.jpg

If you're mechanically inclined it's not a big deal to fix, but I don't know how much parts would cost. If you just want a cheap toy, sure, it's not a bad bike. If you think you want a track bike for constant use, it sounds like a money pit. Not bad for the money, but a 12 year old 600 with 50k has been used and abused at some point. It's gonna need a little of this, and one of those, and eventually all those cheap parts get expensive. It would make a better stuntbike or just something to put gas in and ride.
If you want a serious track bike, newer better condition bikes are out there for a little more money, and you'll save more in the long run. You could probably fix 2nd gear, sell it and make a SMALL profit.

If you're mechanically inclined it's not a big deal to fix, but I don't know how much parts would cost. If you just want a cheap toy, sure, it's not a bad bike. If you think you want a track bike for constant use, it sounds like a money pit. Not bad for the money, but a 12 year old 600 with 50k has been used and abused at some point. It's gonna need a little of this, and one of those, and eventually all those cheap parts get expensive. It would make a better stuntbike or just something to put gas in and ride.
If you want a serious track bike, newer better condition bikes are out there for a little more money, and you'll save more in the long run. You could probably fix 2nd gear, sell it and make a SMALL profit.

+1???

I am somewhat mechanically inclined. If there is a book that tells you how to do it, then I can do it.

Track days are once a month... so It's not a 'constant' thing.

Yes I would have every intention of abusing the crap out of it.. and I want something I don't care if I drop or crash it. Learning wheelies, and wringing it's neck on track days next season.

It would just be a toy.

I'm thinking cheap is good. After I build my skill set up a bit more I could look into something 'nicer' I just really don't want to crash my 'busa finding out where my limits are.

I dunno, still thinking about it. Might be able to find something better for not much more money over the winter.

I am somewhat mechanically inclined. If there is a book that tells you how to do it, then I can do it.

Track days are once a month... so It's not a 'constant' thing.

Yes I would have every intention of abusing the crap out of it.. and I want something I don't care if I drop or crash it. Learning wheelies, and wringing it's neck on track days next season.

It would just be a toy.

I'm thinking cheap is good. After I build my skill set up a bit more I could look into something 'nicer' I just really don't want to crash my 'busa finding out where my limits are.

I dunno, still thinking about it. Might be able to find something better for not much more money over the winter.

You can buy a service manual that will show you how to fix it. Just expect to put some money into that bike. There comes a point when you can ride, track, wheelie on one bike, you can do the same on any. But just keep in mind that it's totally different from the Busa in many ways, so be cautious trying something new on the bigger heavier Busa that you do on a 600. Don't get me wrong, they'll both do the same thing, you just need to be careful between the 2 if you're just learning.

I think you can find better options out there. Pay a little more, have much fewer problems imo. You don't want mechanical problems happening while your riding hard. Lots of good track bikes out there for cheap.

Back