Police caught on cam

Wow! Some police officers as stated SOME police officers let the badge go to there head. I can see 2 sides to this. I am not a criminal and was raised with values. I have had my share of run ins with the law mostly from traffic stops when I was younger. I learned being respectful most times you will get respect. I try to start off respectful and if I feel as the officer is letting the badge get to his head or maybe he has some short man syndrome I dont know I then use my rights for me. This means shut up and only provide identification.
Part of the video at 3:43 where the cop comes storming in on a female and just over powers her with abuse.. UN CALLED for, if I was this young ladies brother I would seek justice in my own ways against this officer.
No need to use this type of force on a woman when your a man even more so when she is in a holding cell and has been searched for weapons.
I can see the side of law enforcement dealing with idiot thugs with no respect. Freeze means freeze! If you decide to ignore then yes, you need an azz whooping! No way I could ever be an officer and deal with idiots on a regular bases, it must take patience and if you dont have patience or self control then you wind up on a video like this.

Just take it easy on the guy flying by doing 150 on the white busa, ok? :beerchug:
Be safe out there...
Bikes flying by, RADAR indicating triple digits, I don't even tap the brake. They'll get killed by a deer around here :laugh: Besides everyone knows a white Busa won't run 150 :poke:

If someone in cuffs headbutts or kicks you, you are well within your rights to subdue the individual, keep yourself safe.
You're right about the cut videos, but in some of them I don't care what happened before the camera came on, there is no excuse for what took place. That being said I understand about the adrenaline dump, it explains it but doesn't excuse it. Some officers believe that "contempt of cop" is a crime, it's not. Respect is earned and simply because you have a badge and a gun doesn't mean anyone has to respect you. Some officers think that if they say do something, everyone automatically should. Not true. A scenario which happened to me a couple weeks ago: Marked state police unit parked in a driveway on the southbound side of the road. I'm traveling north. 2 lane street, middle of town, about 2 PM on a Saturday. I'm not speeding, swerving, on the phone etc, and I'm wearing my seatbelt. I'm driving a GMC Yukon. Before I'm even past him, I see his car begin to nose out. He follows me for a couple of blocks and flips the lights on. I pull over into a businesses driveway, put the truck in park and wait. He comes to the drivers side and I roll the window down. He says he pulled me over for an expired sticker. Unless he has x-ray vision, that's impossible. Then he asks where I'm going. I'm 41 years old and this man is not my father. What business is it of his where I'm going? I told him that was irrelevant and he didn't like that answer. He asks for my license and insurance which I furnish and walks back to his car. 15 minutes later he comes back with my paperwork, has me sign what he wrote me for the expired tag and I left. He was pissed cuz I didn't answer his question. We both knew he lied about why he pulled me over. I don't know what his real reason was, but it certainly wasn't something on the rear of my truck. He was gonna pull me regardless. He kept me there way longer than needed because I didn't answer his question. Had he said a crime had been committed in that area and I fit the description I would have had no issue whatsoever saying where I had been, but I am not required to satisfy his curiosity. It's none of his damn business where I'm going.
There are many good cops in my area, some of them are good friends of mine. He just ain't one of either group.

I believe from my interaction with you on here that you are a good guy, and I would bet that crosses over to your career also. Thank you for what you do, I'm sure your area is better for your being there.

Obviously I can't tell you why he pulled you. But if I read your post right, it's possible he spotted the tag and was waiting to catch you on the road. I spot stuff all the time, and if I can't deal with it then, I remember it for later. Mr. Brown, you don;t have to tell him, but wouldn't it have been easier. You could have told him anything. Anyway, he probably ran you every way he could. 5 minutes is a fast stop for me, and sometimes dispatchers are tied up and traffic stops are low priority.

Bunch of long posts here! Whew!

Do3 do me a favor tonight and go beat up some unsuspecting undeserving person.
Make sure and video tape it for us as well. :laugh:

I would probably get sued, but a young man did walk away tonight leaving me with his backpack and jeans used in a recent burglary. Warrants written. At 52 I didn't feel the need to run after him :laugh:

http://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc3234/m1/1/high_res_d/thesis.pdf

Critical issues in police discipline: case studies - Lewis G. Bender - Google Books

Avoiding the Us vs. Them Mentality - PoliceLink[/QUOTE

You stated "The truth is that most cops have a superiority complex and treat the general public like dirt" Would you please point out specifically where that's stated in any of the studies you spent half the day digging up. Because frankly the first one I read was an examination of US Police misconduct and how it's handled. The author even praises the work of US officers. I believe he's bench marking US police to set up a better way to handle misconduct in Turkey. But anyway I've been up for 20 hours now and so I don't have to read the other two papers, just simply point to something that backs up your opinion.

Also officers are typically trained to be professional. You are given step by step by step directions on doing everything. The problem is that the public in general views this as someone being a butt whole. It took me several years but I've finally found a balance between being professional and doing my job, and appearing friendly to the public. It's hard guys, most jobs don't require you to put your life at risk all the time. But it's our chosen profession right.

I thought this thread would generate a lot of interest.:popcorn:

Since 2001, I had two speeding tickets, both in my SUV. The first one in CA, the LEO was a true gentleman. The second one in OK, the LEO was extremely rude, agressive, but I behaved and all went well. Stopped in TX once for a warning in a rental car, she was OK. Stopped on my dirt bike once in NC for a warning, he was on the edge of getting nasty, I made an effort to be friendly and in the end we were both having a fun conversation.

I rode with the NC Busa bunch once and we were flying low, stopped in Creedmoor for a break and a LEO pulled in. Someone complained about our riding. He asked us nicely to behave and ended up having fun with us. Put cuffs on Loomis for picture fun, all smiles and he left.

Long story short, as a kid I was taught that if you mix yourself with the rot, the pigs will feed on you. I would like to think that the vid is showing a very small percentage of bad behavior, while there are an enormous amount of good police work, which is totally ignored. Unfortunately, we see this in all walks of life.

http://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc3234/m1/1/high_res_d/thesis.pdf

Critical issues in police discipline: case studies - Lewis G. Bender - Google Books

Avoiding the Us vs. Them Mentality - PoliceLink[/QUOTE

You stated "The truth is that most cops have a superiority complex and treat the general public like dirt" Would you please point out specifically where that's stated in any of the studies you spent half the day digging up. Because frankly the first one I read was an examination of US Police misconduct and how it's handled. The author even praises the work of US officers. I believe he's bench marking US police to set up a better way to handle misconduct in Turkey. But anyway I've been up for 20 hours now and so I don't have to read the other two papers, just simply point to something that backs up your opinion.

Also officers are typically trained to be professional. You are given step by step by step directions on doing everything. The problem is that the public in general views this as someone being a butt whole. It took me several years but I've finally found a balance between being professional and doing my job, and appearing friendly to the public. It's hard guys, most jobs don't require you to put your life at risk all the time. But it's our chosen profession right.

Actually none of the links are a report on what I stated, but they all do recognize the us-against-them mentality that is prevelent in law enforcement. The us-against-them mentality often leads LEOs to believe that every person they encounter is a criminal or potential criminal. Is that mentality bad? Sometimes it leads to excellent police work, other times it leads to what we see in the video.

A few months ago I interviewed for a non-CO position at our jail. One of the first things the Cheif asked me about was how was I going to deal with being treated like a prisoner. In his words the even though the CO know that the support staff are not guest, they treat everyone not in uniform like they are. Simular job but same mentality.

I have seen more wrong doing by the police on people than one person should.
Cop doing doughnuts on the park grass. A girl told him he would not do that in a white neighborhood. A black cop slapped her so hard you could hear the slap from 50 ft away.
Cops would take black guys to the local graveyard and beat the **** out of them and roll the beaten person into a fresh dug grave.
Cops would beat your ass and take you miles from town and leave you there.
Pull their guns on you and laugh.
Pull their guns on you and hit you in the head, laugh and leave.
Pull a person over, search the car(making sure to destroy the interior) then leave.
Beat people with bully clubs and laugh.
My uncle bought a Caddy in the early 60`s. Somebody stole his hubcaps. He called the police. They beat his ass for being black and owning a Caddy.

I could go on and on.

Cop doing doughnuts on the park grass. A girl told him he would not do that in a white neighborhood. A black cop slapped her so hard you could hear the slap from 50 ft away.
Cops would take black guys to the local graveyard and beat the **** out of them and roll the beaten person into a fresh dug grave.
Pull a person over, search the car(making sure to destroy the interior) then leave.
My uncle bought a Caddy in the early 60`s. Somebody stole his hubcaps. He called the police. They beat his ass for being black and owning a Caddy.

I could go on and on.

Any of this recent history? Sorry it sounds like stuff from the 60's. A lot has happened since then.

I could go on and on.

America has changed a lot since 1960.

"Cops would beat your ass and take you miles from town and leave you there.
Beat people with bully clubs and laugh."

Well these I have seen first hand in New Jersey and in the Bronx. And that is not in the 60's. All recent. And they all get away with it. In the poor neighbor hood's is a daily thing. I was a good kid. Never robbed, hand a fight, stayed out late, did not "hang" with the wrong crowd. But NYPD and JCPD and Newark police can care less about people. I will never go back to either state.

A few years ago me and a friend went 4Wheeling in his truck. I parked my car at the end of the paved street as it was 2 wheel drive. When we got back my truck was trashed. We went to the closest gas station and waited for the police. Took about an hour for them to get there.

When the patrol car got there I started walking towards him. The cop jumped out of the car, grabbed his weapon (didn't pull it all the way out), pointed at me with his free hand and started barking orders at me. He had me take out my wallet/ID like I was some sort of cortortionist, then had me back up and take a seat on the curb with my legs crossed and fingers interlocked behind my head.

While he was running my ID, I was thinking that something had happened in the gas station and I in the wrong place at the wrong time. A few minutes later he called me over to the car and gave me my ID and told me I could get my wallet from the hood of the car. The next thing he said was, where is this vandalized car? Still in a state of shock I told him and he replied, that's not our jurisdiction you need to call the Sherrif's Department. As he was attempting to drive off, I asked him why he was at the gas station, He told me because I called for assistance. When I asked him if he treated everyone who called for assistance that way, he said have a nice day, smilled and drove off.

Of course the complaint I filed never led to anything being done.:banghead:

Sounds like whomever sent him the call got the message scrambled and he was expecting something different than reported.

Could be, that's why I didn't get upset until after the ordeal was over. I still think I should have recieved an apology or at least an explanation.

My friend said he was going to get out of the truck but he was afraid both of us would get shot.:laugh:

Not all cops are bad. Sadly the bad ones always get filmed and limelighted. There are bad people who do wrong in EVERY profession, cops are no different. It just so happens these bad people can do much more damage than mess up your coffee at a coffee shop.

"Can't we just all get along?" I laughed years ago when a Los Angeles arrestee said that in front of a camera, looking back, it was a simple and very wise statement. There is no profession that has only perfect people in it. There are professions that require very high standards of conduct and at the same time the "professionals" are spat, pi$$ed upon, biten, punched and otherwise emersed in life threatening situations. No one on the org would support police misconduct, moreover, I say remove and punish the brutal wrongdoers, BUT, until you work a 10 hour shift in a big inner city environment, you cannot make statements that begin with "all cops are power hungry...." or "they hate minorities....etc.". There are police officers out there that, 24/7, make the streets a lot safer for us because they chase very evil people into abandoned buildings for a living. All that seems to go unmentioned so often. There are such terrible acts nightly in populated regions of our Country that the papers wont even print it. I can have strong feelings about SEAL Team 6 but I'll never know what it's like to fly low into a foreign country to remove evil....I just know that I stand in support of the mission and hope training and oversight removes the weak links in that system. As a Sergeant for a large law enforcement body, I know I (and other supervisors too) worked hard to remove working officers that didn't do their job in an honorable and legal manner. Part of our taxes go to sustain the law enforcement teams in our Country and I'm proud to pay them.

Could be, that's why I didn't get upset until after the ordeal was over. I still think I should have recieved an apology or at least an explanation.

My friend said he was going to get out of the truck but he was afraid both of us would get shot.:laugh:

Sounds like you have a bad attitude. Maybe you need a beating with a billy club? :poke: :laugh:

Back