Please advice after BMC race filter disintegrated

dogo1488

Registered
I would appreciate some advice here. I got my 08 a couple of weeks ago. She ran perfect for a couple of week and then the idle started to go low. At a light it would die due to idle go down to 800 or less. At the end it would not even start without throttle and die without it. It has a Bazzaz and I was going go check the mapping yesterday as well as idle set up. I started with the air filter (EMC racing) and this is what I found to

IMG20240221155714.jpg
my surprise

IMG20240221144215.jpg

IMG20240221155448.jpg

IMG20240221155902.jpg

IMG20240221155744.jpg

Like I say before, the PO did a great job putting her together. I have owned close to 40 bikes and I have never seen such a meticulous work putting together a bike. He was the original owner and put only 9k miles in 15 years. He put the filter at the time and for sure it was sitting there without been service.
My only question would be what to do from here. Change spark plugs and then what?. I am mechanically inclined and I do most of the service in my bikes but I always listen to the more experience people.

Other than that I have to tell you that, after owning 2 gen 1 Vmax and now a Gen 2, this bike is a beast and it is the first time I am afraid I will lose my license....
A little more info here:

2008 Bking
Yoshimura TRC Exhaust
Bazzaz Z-Fi TC Traction + Quick Shift + Fuel Unit Reverse Shift
BMC Race Performance air filter
Speedohealer
Low gearing
Knights Design low pegs kit 1’ ½
CLEARWATERlights - Darla D66
LED Headlight 6000lm 50W
National Cycle VStream Sport Touring Windscreen
ATLAS Throttle Lock
Frame Sliders, Fork Sliders, & Swingarm Spools Set Suzuki B-King (all)
R&G Left Engine Case Slider
R&G Right Engine Case Slider
Beowulf Radiator Guard
Oil Cooler Guard
Pazzo Shorty Levers

Also, based on my research here, I think I will go with the OEM filter instead of K&N or MBC even though I have both of the maintenance kits and I have clean them on the other bikes numerous times. I am in South FL so it is always hot and never dusty so no need for a filter with those rubber edges after seen how the end up. I do not understand what a regular maintenance and cleaning of the air filter would have changed other than cleaning the filtering elements. The rubber got gummed and disintegrated....yes the bike was not regularly ridden but just the ridding would have introduced more temperature and I guess premature destruction of the rubber....

What a mess.......

I'm not even sure how to clean that up because I'm certain the back of the intake valves are probably coated in that crap as it's been getting sucked in....

I had to take the Bazzaz off my bike as it left me stranded and I traced it to the unit....Bazzaz is no longer in business so there was nowhere to turn for tech support and my laptop no longer recognized the system even though I had it hooked up several times before.....

What a mess.......

I'm not even sure how to clean that up because I'm certain the back of the intake valves are probably coated in that crap as it's been getting sucked in....

I had to take the Bazzaz off my bike as it left me stranded and I traced it to the unit....Bazzaz is no longer in business so there was nowhere to turn for tech support and my laptop no longer recognized the system even though I had it hooked up several times before.....
Thank for the reply......what a mess for sure...lol, specially when my wife so me washing the filter box in the kitchen sink....lol
I will run a scope camera through the throttle body and suck as much rubber until I find it clear....I am concerned about the oil pump and injectors and how to clean them. The bike was running like a beast and if it was not for the low idle I would not know something was going on
Regarding the Bazzaz and you laptop not recognizing it once installed there is a link in Bazzaz website explaining how make it work. But I guess you do not need it since you removed the system. I know that Bazzaz no longer in business but I will not need more than what I have that is the mapping for the Yoshi and filter or the stock mapping. As long as everything works I will leave it like that. I was not able to find the USB connector to connect my laptop since the surprise in the air filter box took the stand.
Thank for your help

I was thinking a vacuum cleaner would take care of most of that mess in the airbox....

Your injectors wouldn't be affected by the particles but they can always use a good cleaning anyway.

I had my Bazzaz connected to my laptop numerous times and was able to switch maps....now it won't recognize the Bazzaz system at all...

Which sucks because I had my ECU flashed but was running the stock maps because the Bazzaz had my modified maps...now I have to send off my ECU to get a "canned tuned map" installed.....I figure Moore Mafia is the place for this as they have done so many Hayabusas that they probably have a very similar map to what I had.

The good news is-the Bazzaz programmer and harness added a bit of weight and complication to the electrical harness-now that's all gone...

I still have the standalone Translogic QS though...

Holy moly! We used to see stuff like that every spring where rodents had settled in the air box. But dang!

Interesting that the debris are on both sides of the air box.

Holy moly! We used to see stuff like that every spring where rodents had settled in the air box. But dang!

Interesting that the debris are on both sides of the air box.
I actually had the same thought but I guess I moved it around too much before opening in a half....

I was thinking a vacuum cleaner would take care of most of that mess in the airbox....

Your injectors wouldn't be affected by the particles but they can always use a good cleaning anyway.

I had my Bazzaz connected to my laptop numerous times and was able to switch maps....now it won't recognize the Bazzaz system at all...

Which sucks because I had my ECU flashed but was running the stock maps because the Bazzaz had my modified maps...now I have to send off my ECU to get a "canned tuned map" installed.....I figure Moore Mafia is the place for this as they have done so many Hayabusas that they probably have a very similar map to what I had.

The good news is-the Bazzaz programmer and harness added a bit of weight and complication to the electrical harness-now that's all gone...

I still have the standalone Translogic QS though...
Here is the link from Bazzaz to help other members with the drivers and connection if they have the same problem

Advice? See if you can sue somebody.

Don't those filters have a lifetime warranty?
I think I'de at least try to get a free replacement from BMC, and even if you don't use it, sell it on ebay.
If you've looked at air filter prices lately, you know they've gotten expensive.

Don't those filters have a lifetime warranty?
I think I'de at least try to get a free replacement from BMC, and even if you don't use it, sell it on ebay.
If you've looked at air filter prices lately, you know they've gotten expensive.

How long was it in there? Is it BMC’s responsibility or the prior owner?

Back