Pilot Power report

vman1300

Never Forgotten
If most of you guys have read my tire reports, you know I am very hard on tires. I am 6'2", 340lbs and ride kinda hard in the mountains.....

I put a set of Powers on before the Spring Bash. 1st impression, very good stick with awsome side to side transition. They warm up to temp very fast and are very predictible. They slide but you have some warning....

That said I finished the tire off over the weekend. Total miles, just over 1700 on the rear. Please keep in mind, I ride my Busa hard in the corners.

One of the guys behind me was commenting I am leaving 50 to 100 foot darkie leaving the turns. I know that is one of the main reasons I dont get any miles from any tire. That is just my riding style.

I also trailer my bike to the playground, so to speak. There are very few straight line miles. The power is worn complete from edge to edge.

My overall opinon of the Power still remains, IT IS the best STREET tire on the market. For semi agressive riders or commuters, you cannot go wrong with this tire.

If you push very hard, move up to a set of Race Tires. I actually get better millage out of Michelin H2's. Last set I got right around 2200.

I hope this review help my fellow Busa rider in there quest for the ultimate tire.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Kevin

<!--EDIT|vman1300
Reason for Edit: None given...|1128472153 -->

Lookie here.

034_34_kevin.JPG

You know this post really needs some pics
rock.gif

1700 miles?.....DAM
wow.gif

FWIW: There are quite a few people running the PP's on the track too. Even some of the Advanced guys, but then again, they're used to sliding around.

Sorry georgiabusa...the pics comment was for vman and your pics weren't there yet.

Nice pics though...looks like a fun road
cool.gif

yeah, keepin up with twinkle toes is a chore
laugh.gif
the only place you know you can find him is at the hotel around 7am
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

have you EVER tried the Diablos and if so how do they compare? do you think these tires work well for less aggressive street cruising also? How bout colder weather warm up? i ride all year long down to about 30 degrees. Diablos aren't perfect, but better than others I've tried over winter temps

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1128479143 -->

You know this post really needs some pics
rock.gif

1700 miles?.....DAM
wow.gif

FWIW:  There are quite a few people running the PP's on the track too.  Even some of the Advanced guys, but then again, they're used to sliding around.
I will get some pics of the rear for you tonight. I have the bike on the stand ready for a new set...

have you EVER tried the Diablos and if so how do they compare?  do you think these tires work well for less aggressive street cruising also?  How bout colder weather warm up?   i ride all year long down to about 30 degrees.  Diablos aren't perfect, but better than others I've tried over winter temps
I have never rode on a set of Diablos. However I have used the Metzler M1. There tires use the same rubber compound, with the only difference being tread pattern and the Diablo has 1mm deeper tread depth.

I was very impressed with the M1. Quick warm up and stick very well. I thought I had found a favorite tire until I got an all time low on milleage of 770 out of one of the rears.

I have only used the Powers in relatively hot temps. I dont ride the Busa much unless I am at the Gap or going on a Sunday blast through the Mtns of WNC.

I still believe the Powers are the best balance of miles and grip on the market today.

Do they work for me? Yes they do for a street tire. I can live with 1700 on a rear considering the stick and no time to get totemp they provide.

I won't be buying another set of Diablos. Made my bike too twitchy. Never could get a planted feel in the turns.

I put a set of Powers on my bike the week they came out. Since then I have put 7,500 miles on mine. I hard hard but I don't get to hit twisties much. A lot of my riding is high speed highway rolling. I ride it hard and do a lot of quick launches though and although it doesn't see many twisties it sees a fair share of them and gets leaned pretty good. I only got 6K out of my factory tire. These things still have another thousand or 2 possibly coming out of them. The grip is incredible, the warm up time is the quickest I have seen on any tire, and the longevity is superb for such a high performance tire. I would recommend these tires again and again. I just ordered a new rear for my bike last week to have ready when it needs changed so I am a repeat buyer.

Overall grade: A++++++

BB69

i had a set of pilot power hpx's and loved them. i was told the hpx's had a harder compound in the middle and a softer compound on the sides for twisties. has anybody else tried the hpx's out, and how do they compare to the regular power's? I also heard that there is a pilot power road out. anybody tried that one?

thanks

vic

I have used the HPX's before. Another good offering from Michelin. The biggest difference between the Powers and the Hpx's are the Powers "V" shaped profile.

You will notice an immediate increase in turn in quickness. The HPX's lasted right at 1500 miles and I wore the front and rear out at the same time.

The Powers use the latest rubber compound from Michelin. Non existient warm up time and stick very well.

The Pilot Road would not be a good choice IMO for agressive riding styles, due to the harder tread compound. If you ride alot of highway miles it would be a decent choice. I would be afraid of too much tire spin exiting the corners.

Still as off right now, the power is the best street tire on the market.

Can't wait to get a set of Powers for Loca. Good review Kevin. I hope to get to ride with you someday.
beerchug.gif

Back