Picking up new 2023 'busa next week. Any tips?

...ride it like you stole it.
Set the suspension sag for your weight, relax, and don't overthink it.
Understanding the bike's suspension is critical.
Personally, I like a stiff bike but it's fully adjustable and suspension settings have a huge impact on feel and response.
TONS of YT vids out there on the black art of bike suspension. A worthwhile rabbit hole if you've got the time

Understanding the bike's suspension is critical.
Personally, I like a stiff bike but it's fully adjustable and suspension settings have a huge impact on feel and response.
TONS of YT vids out there on the black art of bike suspension. A worthwhile rabbit hole if you've got the time

+1
Stiffer suspension rails corners much better.

The handlebars do not want any weight on them. There is weight (downward pressure) and countersteering (forward pressure.) I think of a graph from math or physics class: Our downward weight is the Y-axis and our steering is the X-axis. We want 0 force on the Y-axis, straight down. The reason is that downward pressure diminishes the ability to steer the bike. Weight on the bars freezes them in place. When we then push them to steer, the weight presses against us. The long tank and lying down position naturally puts a lot more weight on the bars. We must fight against this design.

Sit on your bike. Lean forward and put your hands on the handlebars. Close your eyes and feel how much of your weight is pressing down. All of that is bad.

Remove your hands from the bars and sit back up. Squeeze your legs together on the tank. They will hold up your trunk weight. Reach forward and keep watching your hands. Drop them slowly, deliberately onto the bars. just touching the bars. Lift them, then lower them. Say to yourself "light as a feather, light as a feather." That, ideally, is all the weight we should be putting on the bars, ergo none. A light touch. It will allow us to steer like lightning. Do everything possible to remove this weight from the bars.

Ignore that. The aerodynamics were created because removing a couple square inches of frontal surface allows 3 more miles per hour, which otherwise might take a massive 10-15 horsepower. The design is to help reach the highest speeds like 200 mph. Bolt on whatever makes your lifestyle better and do not worry about aerodynamics.

Join the California Super Bike School forum. Start by reading every post by Keith Code, Hotfoot, and Dylan code. Read the preeminent sport bike books including "Total Control" by Lee Parks
Done. Thanks.

While you're test sitting on it, it's a good time to adjust your levers(if you have not already), clutch and brake, left and right and up and down, so your fingers just fall on to the levers, vs lifting your fingers up and on to the levers.
That takes a little longer to do, and at 60mph, you travel 88 feet per second...so levers in the best position for You can make all the difference in reaction time, as far as being able to apply them as quickly as possible.

Crash protection is a great idea. If you are touring on it I would suggest installing a USB charger. I installed a two port on mine, just got back from a 3k+ mile trip out to Tennesse from Colorado and being able to charge $h1t while I'm riding is priceless even if it's just your phone it's worth it. As @SPECIALFORCESOFGOD pointed out the busa is heavy compared to other liter class sport bikes but you really only feel it in parking lots and very slow speed situations. Once she gets rolling it feels great like my ZX10 with softer suspension. I also installed a taller windscreen, for road trips the wind protection sucks for anyone near 6ft tall in my opinion. Get yourself a phone mount as well. I'm a quad lock guy, love them, have one on each of my street bikes.
Now that you mentioned me, I'm lowkey salty at you for not finishing the Gixxer's wrap job. The bike is not mine yet it's paining me that you haven't taken the time to make it look brand new. Like...I wanna see it fully orange, and it has been subconsciously bugging me for months, ha-ha! OK, I feel better now. Fffffff!

This is a terrific post; thanks so much for taking the time to write it. I had to look up brake-bedding techniques because I've never done it; now I can get it done on my way home from the dealer!

I have a KLR650 which has no power but weighs around 500 lbs with all the armor-plating I've added. I've also owned a 2006 BMW K1200R which weighed around 450 lbs, and had 170 hp.

I think I'll be okay with the 'busa because there is so much info out there about how unusual a machine it is. I don't think I'll take anything about it for granted.

Does this thing have a center stand? I've always put one on every bike I've ever had for some reason.

Finally, I'm in Maine. I would have to go out of my way to find two cars two ride between. Literally.
My pleasure, brother. Glad my post was helpful to you. :) Since you already own a tall, heavy bike, you're set.

The 'Busa is so low and has so much thrust, it'll spend very little time in the "heavy" zone given you're in that area in Maine.

I wish I was in that situation of not having to maneuver between cars, but here in Puerto Rico it's a necessity.

So much that, even though it's against the law, it's culturally accepted...even by the municipal and state police. Some bike-riding cops even lane-split, and I'll trail them, ha-ha.

Now that you mentioned me, I'm lowkey salty at you for not finishing the Gixxer's wrap job. The bike is not mine yet it's paining me that you haven't taken the time to make it look brand new. Like...I wanna see it fully orange, and it has been subconsciously bugging me for months, ha-ha! OK, I feel better now. Fffffff!
Busted.....Ok, Ok...I will make it a higher priority!!! I do want to see it all orange!! After completing the road trip to NM without even a hiccup the gixxer deserves it's all orange wrap completed!

Back