Picking up new 2023 'busa next week. Any tips?

Right, but it is a heavy bike among sport bikes having aggressive geometry, brakes, and throttle, and such designed to be "unstable."
I don't know about the Gen 3 but the 1 & 2 are designed to be stable, mainly because the goal was achieving top-end speed relatively safely. I actually think people mistake this slow-handling geometry for weight on the Busa. For example, my BMW GS 1250 weighs 550 lbs or so wet and my Busa is around 530 lbs wet with all the mods. But the Busa feels like it's 100 lbs heavier than the BMW pushing it around the garage.

Au contraire please do not ever do a sit-up. There is no motion we as humans make where a sit-up is beneficial. Feel free to speak to a good chiropractor. I am confident they will echo this sentiment.

Sit-ups strengthen the motion forward. It is in fact the opposite strength that holds us up in the crotch rocket position. Excessively strengthening the forward motion via sit-ups would actually add imbalance relative to the back which holds us up.

A sit-up only works the muscles to do...more sit-ups, and no valuable activities. Sit-ups also apply over 700 PSI to vertebrae that are not designed for such.

There are valuable core exercises but not these. As things change I hesitate to make recommendations but I think that the back hyperextension at the gym (lie forward, lift the trunk backwards) is extremely good, and good for holding riders up. Note that one pivots at the hips which are in fact designed for such.
My chiropractor and I disagree...

My chiropractor and I disagree...

And that is why I deliberately included "good" chiropractor. Your chiro is advising against McGill, a biomechanics expert.

"One study found that 56% of all soldiers’ injuries related to the old test were because of sit-ups."

The language is catastrophic, even from the armed services which in many ways has been an utterly backwards bureaucracy.

Just expect me to obnoxiously pipe up each time I see riders recommending sit-ups to each other. That is outright damaging advice.

And that is why I deliberately included "good" chiropractor. Your chiro is advising against McGill, a biomechanics expert.

"One study found that 56% of all soldiers’ injuries related to the old test were because of sit-ups."

The language is catastrophic, even from the armed services which in many ways has been an utterly backwards bureaucracy.

Just expect me to obnoxiously pipe up each time I see riders recommending sit-ups to each other. That is outright damaging advice.
I've probably done a million sit ups over my career as it used to be part of our daily PT regime and fitness testing...

Years ago I converted to crunches, planks, leg raises and other core training exercises....I haven't done an actual sit up in years...

I have zero back issues surprisingly enough although I should be in pain each and every day with all the abuse I put my body through.

You are right in the grand scheme of things it is not heavy. Compared to my ZX10 it is heavy. It's all a matter of perspective. I rented a Street glide once, that bike is almost 800 pounds. Not quite twice as heavy as the busa but yeah. Depends on what you are use to I guess.
I agree in that it all depends what you rode before you hopped on the busa. Sometimes I ride the concours14 on Friday and the busa on Saturday and it feels like I went from an f350 dually to a Tacoma. :rofl: !

OK, so I have been told that doing situps correctly is essential by a pretty accomplished Chiropractor. On top of that I have been using them for 50 years and they work wonders. But if you are so against them (and I trust that you have good reason and backup), how about leg lifts? These work too for lower back pain and are less demanding on the skeletal structure.

BTW: If I'm misleading peeps thanks for piping up!

...I have been told that doing situps correctly is essential...But if you are so against them (and I trust that you have good reason and backup),

Yes, vociferously against. Here are some facets to consider when trying to judge exercises among all of the noise: The body is made of materials that are engineered for a fixed number of reps (joints, ligaments, tendons.) Wearing them out via excessive exercise reps is harmful and counterproductive. The hip flexors, small muscles, are at extreme risk from sit-up repetitions. Secondly, the body wants to be balanced. Think about this: Sit-ups are a one way strength application. Build that strength and the body wants to hunch forward from the excessive stomach strength. So, IF one did 400 sit-ups a day (I did this in school so that I could do 84 sit-ups a minute for the Presidential Physical Fitness testing) then one SHOULD do 400 back hyperextensions to balance that stomach strength in the other direction. Now, one should never do this level of reps and this all illustrates just one more key problem of sit-ups: Lack of balance and symmetry.

One that has not been injured from sit-ups is merely lucky.

...how about leg lifts? These work too for lower back pain and are less demanding on the skeletal structure.

Leg lifts along with an opposing exercise, back hyperextensions, lying forward and lifting the trunk upwards, are highly beneficial. Leg lifts will produce massive, and usable strength, while sit-up strength has zero use. Note in both of these, we are flexing at the hips in a way that we are designed to flex, and not stressing the back. Note also that these should be done in a slow, methodical way, and not at extremely high reps. High reps tends to be an indicator of harm.

One will feel massive benefit in real life from leg lifts. YES!

...how about leg lifts?

Got the variations? Put the legs out front and start to do circles with them. Taxing the muscles for even that little bit of inertia significantly magnifies the effort and thus increases strength even more.

Leg lifts could near the top, and perhaps even #1 on any Top 10 exercise list.

That last sentence is every bikers dream. Also beware of new tires. For the rest, don't worry too much you’ll be just fine.
Enjoy and good luck with it.
Don’t forget to post some pictures.
Will do; I'll be taking my 2017 FZ-09 in on Tuesday to be evaluated for trade. 'course, if I was ungodly wealthy I would certainly keep the Yamaha. I have zero complaints.

I got a strangulated bowel from doing planks; I got it repaired and the surgeon said: "Don't do planks."
Wasn't sure if I was supposed to LIKE a strangulated bowel! I had back problems from an old football injury. The only thing that worked was situps. been a sit-upper for 50 years so I guess I will be an invertebrate soon!

Wasn't sure if I was supposed to LIKE a strangulated bowel! I had back problems from an old football injury. The only thing that worked was situps. been a sit-upper for 50 years so I guess I will be an invertebrate soon!
Turns out that some people are more prone to tearing their ab muscles. Not much one can do about it.

As I first get on each ride I try to remember to remind myself to squeeze the tank with the legs. Sometimes I actually remember. It is a massive workout performing this throughout rides, it truly is. Only at freeway speeds and sitting up high with the wind pressure holding the body back is it easier, but even that is minimal because of how slick this bike is. But otherwise the long reach is highly counterproductive to performance and safety. As soon as the legs grab hold of the tank, unfortunately not all, but a large amount of our trunk weight is removed from the bars. Steering control then works like it is supposed to.

Going down significant hills, man oh man...The first time on a steep hill I slid forward, my weight crushed down on the bars, and there was no moving the bars whatsoever. Keep this in mind. The effect magnifies greatly on a forward hill. Squeeze like your life depends on it because it does.

Remind yourself to be smooth on the controls. Shutdown the instinct to grab a fistful of dollars, wait, I mean brake lever. Jerkiness on the clutch, throttle, and brakes is the killer for a heavy bike, wanting to flip that weight right over to the outside of the turn. For slow maneuvers, u-turns, etc., use a constant slight rear brake to stretch the bike and do not hesitate to slip the clutch to have just the right amount of power through it. You likely know all of this but the effect is magnified on this anvil of a bike. I find that vigilant personal reminders of all of this are the key. I know I can do it but seriously, will I remember every ride with such a sparse number of rides each year?

For any significant stop preload the front brake the smallest bit far in advance. As the brake grabs and that massive whale weight shifts forward, the fork is pre-compressed. Then the bike is balanced and ready for the harder braking and the subsequent full stop to go smoothly. Otherwise the massive shift of weight at the stop can generate unsettling forward motion and the subsequent rebound.
I don't understand some of what you're talking about. This is very good. I'll have to start at the very beginning and absorb some of this handlebar vs. tank squeezing strategy. I need to take some courses, do some track days. never been to one. I've always made it up as I went along, and depended on common sense and the will to survive. Now I wnt to actually learn how these things work. The fact that the 'busa was designed in a wind tunnel really fires up my imagination and curiosity. I'm not sure how much touring stuff I'll want to hang onto the bike if it's going to mess up the carefully-designed aerodynamics.
On the other hand, it's just a hobby.

@chobers
Aside from the electronics available on the Gen 3, my advice would be to keep the RPMs below 5,500 for the first few runs THEN begin experimenting with the throttle's full range.
It's an insanely powerful bike and goes very fast effortlessly (great engineering).

+1 getting in shape. The whole body but esp the core. Probably no argument on this thread that the best way to condition the legs for squeezing the tank is by riding.

But soon, you will owe it to yourself to feel the magic this bike offers in triple digits. (Full Disclosure: my name's John and I am an addict)

@chobers
Aside from the electronics available on the Gen 3, my advice would be to keep the RPMs below 5,500 for the first few runs THEN begin experimenting with the throttle's full range.
It's an insanely powerful bike and goes very fast effortlessly (great engineering).

+1 getting in shape. The whole body but esp the core. Probably no argument on this thread that the best way to condition the legs for squeezing the tank is by riding.

But soon, you will owe it to yourself to feel the magic this bike offers in triple digits. (Full Disclosure: my name's John and I am an addict)
Hi, John! (applause)
The prospect of getting a 'busa has me lifting weights a little, stretching more, and generally loosening up so as to be a better-functioning part of the 'busa system. No other bike ever got me thinking along these lines before. (Of course I was never this old before either.,)

I don't understand some of what you're talking about. This is very good. I'll have to start at the very beginning and absorb some of this handlebar vs. tank squeezing strategy. I need to take some courses, do some track days. never been to one. I've always made it up as I went along, and depended on common sense and the will to survive. Now I wnt to actually learn how these things work.

The handlebars do not want any weight on them. There is weight (downward pressure) and countersteering (forward pressure.) I think of a graph from math or physics class: Our downward weight is the Y-axis and our steering is the X-axis. We want 0 force on the Y-axis, straight down. The reason is that downward pressure diminishes the ability to steer the bike. Weight on the bars freezes them in place. When we then push them to steer, the weight presses against us. The long tank and lying down position naturally puts a lot more weight on the bars. We must fight against this design.

Sit on your bike. Lean forward and put your hands on the handlebars. Close your eyes and feel how much of your weight is pressing down. All of that is bad.

Remove your hands from the bars and sit back up. Squeeze your legs together on the tank. They will hold up your trunk weight. Reach forward and keep watching your hands. Drop them slowly, deliberately onto the bars. just touching the bars. Lift them, then lower them. Say to yourself "light as a feather, light as a feather." That, ideally, is all the weight we should be putting on the bars, ergo none. A light touch. It will allow us to steer like lightning. Do everything possible to remove this weight from the bars.

I'm not sure how much touring stuff I'll want to hang onto the bike if it's going to mess up the carefully-designed aerodynamics.
On the other hand, it's just a hobby.

Ignore that. The aerodynamics were created because removing a couple square inches of frontal surface allows 3 more miles per hour, which otherwise might take a massive 10-15 horsepower. The design is to help reach the highest speeds like 200 mph. Bolt on whatever makes your lifestyle better and do not worry about aerodynamics.

Now I wnt to actually learn how these things work.

Join the California Super Bike School forum. Start by reading every post by Keith Code, Hotfoot, and Dylan code. Read the preeminent sport bike books including "Total Control" by Lee Parks

I ride like a wet noodle, all over the seat, hands on or off the bars, and the bike requires little input, hands or feet to steer...ride it like you stole it.
Set the suspension sag for your weight, relax, and don't overthink it.

And, if anyone has not heard of Jeff Cavalier, check him out.
A physical therapist(used to work for the Mets), so he knows the mechanics of the body.
He'll use different color markers to draw lines on his skin, that represent muscle fibers, and he shows how the muscles move, and the correct And incorrect ways to work them.
Truly valuable information.
I am 46, and started working out at 13, I have my share of old injuries, and his techniques have helped me remove Alot of physical pain from my life, as well as really strengthening some areas that just didn't want to grow.
He has lots of videos, and I have tried alot of his techniques in the last couple of years...and with Great sucess!
If you workout, or want to, I Highly recommend searching for what he says on what exercises you want to do.
There are tons of exercise influencers on social media, and a few good ones, but his credentials and teaching methods really sets him apart from the rest.

Last edited:
Also
Modern muscle research is very interesting.
That muscle tissue is really 'ageless'(for lack of a better term), that it grows the same, at Any age.
Now, men's testosterone levels decrease with age, as well as other things, and it is These things that slow or limit muscle growth, as the muscles are limited in their recovery more with age due to these factors...which supplements Can improve.
Also that muscles are now belived to be endocrine organs(check that out).
But, the point is...it's Never too late to start exercising!

Back