Picking up new 2023 'busa next week. Any tips?

chobers

Donating Member
Registered
I haven't seen it yet; all I know about it is that it's grey and has about zero miles on it. The price is exactly $20,000 out-the-door. I haven't ever sat on one; I just hope I can ride it around for a while until I get some bar risers on it before I start herniating disks.

I will eventually set it up for touring, but first I'll get some crash bars on it and so-forth. I know I will be dropping the sumbitch; it's ordained.

I bought mine sight unseen, and I never rode any Hayabusa before. I felt so weird and disoriented coming from an '06 ZX-10R, but I got used to it after a while.

My tip would be to pay attention to the kickstand. It's easy to forget to put it down after riding. I almost always forget, and that never happened before with any other bike.

Another thing is to ensure it's resting on the stop fully. It can look like that from the sitting position and not doing it. Ask me how I know.

Also, the bike is really heavy, so before 15 MPH it's a boat. It would be a good thing to not risk riding it between cars until one gets used to the weight and length. Once up to speed, it's so flickable and tossable like a different bike.

Another tip is to bead in the brakes as soon as possible. Mine had no braking power initially out of the store, so I just went fast and braked hard, and repeated that many times to mate the brake pads to the rotors.

Now it brakes so hard, sometimes the ABS kicks in like nothing.

This is a terrific post; thanks so much for taking the time to write it. I had to look up brake-bedding techniques because I've never done it; now I can get it done on my way home from the dealer!

I have a KLR650 which has no power but weighs around 500 lbs with all the armor-plating I've added. I've also owned a 2006 BMW K1200R which weighed around 450 lbs, and had 170 hp.

I think I'll be okay with the 'busa because there is so much info out there about how unusual a machine it is. I don't think I'll take anything about it for granted.

Does this thing have a center stand? I've always put one on every bike I've ever had for some reason.

Finally, I'm in Maine. I would have to go out of my way to find two cars two ride between. Literally.

This is a terrific post; thanks so much for taking the time to write it. I had to look up brake-bedding techniques because I've never done it; now I can get it done on my way home from the dealer!

I have a KLR650 which has no power but weighs around 500 lbs with all the armor-plating I've added. I've also owned a 2006 BMW K1200R which weighed around 450 lbs, and had 170 hp.

I think I'll be okay with the 'busa because there is so much info out there about how unusual a machine it is. I don't think I'll take anything about it for granted.

Does this thing have a center stand? I've always put one on every bike I've ever had for some reason.

Finally, I'm in Maine. I would have to go out of my way to find two cars two ride between. Literally.
That last sentence is every bikers dream. Also beware of new tires. For the rest, don't worry too much you’ll be just fine.
Enjoy and good luck with it.
Don’t forget to post some pictures.

Always fun to get a new toy to play with...

There is no center stand, a pair of paddock stands are needed for cleaning and maintenance....

There are many threads and posts here regarding the side stand mod-where it's trimmed slightly to allow it to swing forward slightly so the bike doesn't roll off it. I still park mine in gear and roll it forward to take the slack out of the transmission when II out it on the side stand out of habit...

There are also lots of threads and posts here about all the usual mods being done....it's always good to pick and choose what works for you.

And most importantly, we sure do like pictures of good looking bikes....

I just hope I can ride it around for a while until I get some bar risers on it before I start herniating disks.

As I first get on each ride I try to remember to remind myself to squeeze the tank with the legs. Sometimes I actually remember. It is a massive workout performing this throughout rides, it truly is. Only at freeway speeds and sitting up high with the wind pressure holding the body back is it easier, but even that is minimal because of how slick this bike is. But otherwise the long reach is highly counterproductive to performance and safety. As soon as the legs grab hold of the tank, unfortunately not all, but a large amount of our trunk weight is removed from the bars. Steering control then works like it is supposed to.

Going down significant hills, man oh man...The first time on a steep hill I slid forward, my weight crushed down on the bars, and there was no moving the bars whatsoever. Keep this in mind. The effect magnifies greatly on a forward hill. Squeeze like your life depends on it because it does.

Remind yourself to be smooth on the controls. Shutdown the instinct to grab a fistful of dollars, wait, I mean brake lever. Jerkiness on the clutch, throttle, and brakes is the killer for a heavy bike, wanting to flip that weight right over to the outside of the turn. For slow maneuvers, u-turns, etc., use a constant slight rear brake to stretch the bike and do not hesitate to slip the clutch to have just the right amount of power through it. You likely know all of this but the effect is magnified on this anvil of a bike. I find that vigilant personal reminders of all of this are the key. I know I can do it but seriously, will I remember every ride with such a sparse number of rides each year?

For any significant stop preload the front brake the smallest bit far in advance. As the brake grabs and that massive whale weight shifts forward, the fork is pre-compressed. Then the bike is balanced and ready for the harder braking and the subsequent full stop to go smoothly. Otherwise the massive shift of weight at the stop can generate unsettling forward motion and the subsequent rebound.

I have a Gen 2 but I'm sure this applies: If you have been riding a quick, light sport bike then you can get away with being sloppy about handling. The key to managing the weight of the Busa is counter-steering. I use it all the time whether I'm going fast or parking lot slow and it makes the bike do exactly what you want it to.

Also, situps really help with riding this bike. The speed, power, and relative lack of wind protection mean your abs are doing a lot of work. But holding on for dear life is dangerous because it makes fine control inputs difficult. I wedge my butt against the hump when riding fast, and I insist on the firmness of rearsets over the floppy OEM pegs.

The Busa is not a "heavy bike". Hop on an HD roadster or my former Bismark (BMW K1600), or a Rocket 3! Larger, more powerful bikes require better riding habits because they are capable of some superhero moves. That's why in many countries you have to graduate up to a license to ride them.

The biggest thing to remember on any bike is it's much easer to get into trouble than it is to get out of it. Take your time and practice. I used to stop by the school parking lot on every ride to practice low-speed stuff and hard stops.

I haven't seen it yet; all I know about it is that it's grey and has about zero miles on it. The price is exactly $20,000 out-the-door. I haven't ever sat on one; I just hope I can ride it around for a while until I get some bar risers on it before I start herniating disks.

I will eventually set it up for touring, but first I'll get some crash bars on it and so-forth. I know I will be dropping the sumbitch; it's ordained.
Good luck to you. If you have never rode a motorcycle before and this is your first.. my advice is to show it some respect. If not, it'll remind you.

Lessons learned from today that I’ll pass along… get sliders.
Dropped mine coming off the rear stand today after washing it. Minor scratches but I’m so pissed at myself. Slider’s definitely would’ve helped. The rain that started and me being at the tail section when she started to lean didn’t help either. Feels bad.

Crash protection is a great idea. If you are touring on it I would suggest installing a USB charger. I installed a two port on mine, just got back from a 3k+ mile trip out to Tennesse from Colorado and being able to charge $h1t while I'm riding is priceless even if it's just your phone it's worth it. As @SPECIALFORCESOFGOD pointed out the busa is heavy compared to other liter class sport bikes but you really only feel it in parking lots and very slow speed situations. Once she gets rolling it feels great like my ZX10 with softer suspension. I also installed a taller windscreen, for road trips the wind protection sucks for anyone near 6ft tall in my opinion. Get yourself a phone mount as well. I'm a quad lock guy, love them, have one on each of my street bikes.

Last edited:
You are right in the grand scheme of things it is not heavy. Compared to my ZX10 it is heavy. It's all a matter of perspective. I rented a Street glide once, that bike is almost 800 pounds. Not quite twice as heavy as the busa but yeah. Depends on what you are use to I guess.
My older brother got off his BMW RT and sat on my bike and immediately mentioned how light it was....

So 100% on the perspective ideology....

Now if I was going any long distance, his Beemer would be the way to go....that thing is torquey and smooth...too smooth....

Tires was mentioned, but not enough. The stock tires from the factory are crap at best. They require a good break in. 500 to 1000 miles of multiple heat and cool cycles before they get grippy. DO NOT push it in the corners until you have done this. If you have never had this kind of power between your legs, respect it and take your time getting to know the girl before you demand her top performance. If you dont you will need spare britches and maybe some stitches. Remember there are only 2 types of riders, Those who have been down, and those who will go down.

If you're planning to put on a centerstand, there's no place for it. You now own the world's heaviest chain-driven motorcycle and need a plan to get her butt in the air every 600 miles. I went for the fully adjustable Pit Bull rear stand with dual swingarms. Now that I know about the Yoshimura tail tidy I might have chosen differently. Anyway, so far so good getting her up there by myself.

If you're an older rider, that's good, apply your wisdom and respect this beast. I'm on a Gen3 at 64, had a Gen1 at 45. Don't think I would have survived a 'Busa when the testosterone levels were high.

Oh yeah ... it might not start when the engine is hot, it sounds like the battery is dead. Don't freak out like I did, it's just the software. Open the throttle a tiny bit and try again.

Also, situps really help with riding this bike.

Au contraire please do not ever do a sit-up. There is no motion we as humans make where a sit-up is beneficial. Feel free to speak to a good chiropractor. I am confident they will echo this sentiment.

Sit-ups strengthen the motion forward. It is in fact the opposite strength that holds us up in the crotch rocket position. Excessively strengthening the forward motion via sit-ups would actually add imbalance relative to the back which holds us up.

A sit-up only works the muscles to do...more sit-ups, and no valuable activities. Sit-ups also apply over 700 PSI to vertebrae that are not designed for such.

There are valuable core exercises but not these. As things change I hesitate to make recommendations but I think that the back hyperextension at the gym (lie forward, lift the trunk backwards) is extremely good, and good for holding riders up. Note that one pivots at the hips which are in fact designed for such.

Au contraire please do not ever do a sit-up. There is no motion we as humans make where a sit-up is beneficial. Feel free to speak to a good chiropractor. I am confident they will echo this sentiment.

Sit-ups strengthen the motion forward. It is in fact the opposite strength that holds us up in the crotch rocket position. Excessively strengthening the forward motion via sit-ups would actually add imbalance relative to the back which holds us up.

A sit-up only works the muscles to do...more sit-ups, and no valuable activities. Sit-ups also apply over 700 PSI to vertebrae that are not designed for such.

There are valuable core exercises but not these. As things change I hesitate to make recommendations but I think that the back hyperextension at the gym (lie forward, lift the trunk backwards) is extremely good, and good for holding riders up. Note that one pivots at the hips which are in fact designed for such.
This is why I lay on the couch....I don't want to over-exert anything....LOL!

Back