Oil......

How many of you put the recommend 3.5 quarts in your busa when changing oil and filter OR just put the whole 4 Quarts in?

I put the whole 4 quarts in..... Just curious what others do.... I just got done changing my oil and filter..

I don't put the full 4 qts. in. I ride a good bit and just used my leftovers yesterday. I filled it close to the full line. Checked it again after cranking it because I replaced the filter and the filter takes a little oil.

3.5 qts fills to the bottom line of the sight glass.
3.75 qts fills to the top line of the site glass.
4 qts fills the sight glass completely.

I also always used 3.75 qts, but that's just me. It's anyones guess or arguement as to which is correct.
I didn't want too much, or too little, as obviously neither is good. Exactly how much is too much or too little I cannot say.
I've always filled any bike engine with a sight glass to the middle or 3/4 mark.

I actually run mine kinda low. I only change the filter every other oil change ( I change my oil every 1500 miles or after every drag strip visit). When I change the filter its 3.5 and when I don't I put in 3. 30,000 miles, several hundred passes down the 1/4 mile and (knock on abs plastic) no problems yet.

After replacing the filter, I fill it with about 2.75-3L of oil, start it, let it run for a minute, then shut down and leave it for 5 minutes.
Check the oil, and add until the oil is in between the high and low marks.

UK Gen 2 bike state 3100ml on the casing which is 3.27 US Quarts...so unless you have the means to suck every last drop out of the bike i'd add 3 Quarts and then top up after a short run up and settling period.

After replacing the filter, I fill it with about 2.75-3L of oil, start it, let it run for a minute, then shut down and leave it for 5 minutes.
Check the oil, and add until the oil is in between the high and low marks.

I've heard of a handful of riders who do the same as you, but I'm not too sure why it's done that way. My bike calls for 4.2 liters of oil with a filter change, so I just pour in that much and call it good. That amount shows up just at the full mark on the sight glass each time. Is there a reason for adding the oil in increments like you and some others do?

I've heard of a handful of riders who do the same as you, but I'm not too sure why it's done that way. My bike calls for 4.2 liters of oil with a filter change, so I just pour in that much and call it good. That amount shows up just at the full mark on the sight glass each time. Is there a reason for adding the oil in increments like you and some others do?

I don't want to overfill it.
Between the two sight glass marks is perfect for me.

Back