Noisey upper end gen 2

Bankrupt

Registered
Hi all. I’ve recently done a gen 2 swap onto my gen 1 frame. When the gen 2 ran, I can’t remember how it sound. But now that I have it in my frame, it seems like I have noise coming from top end of the engine. I’ve change to a DME 1.5inch oil pan, and put on a side winder with block off plates. I removed the oil restrictor behind the filter. It makes me really nervous because I spun 2 rod bearings on the last engine and don’t want it to happen again. I cleaned the picked up tube on the pan. I can’t figure out if it’s normal or not. It runs fine but sounds like I can hear the valves.. thanks in advanced. The new engine has 14k and has been bone stock the whole time.

If you can take a video of it so we can hear the sound...normally the valves are pretty stout when it comes to needing adjusting but one never knows..

Generally these engines are a bit noisy it just depends on what kind of noise it's making...

Double check everything to make sure nothing is touching the engine or exhaust, and make sure all the connections are tight (engine mounts, oil/water radiator mounts, etc....).

If you can take a video of it so we can hear the sound...normally the valves are pretty stout when it comes to needing adjusting but one never knows..

Generally these engines are a bit noisy it just depends on what kind of noise it's making...

Double check everything to make sure nothing is touching the engine or exhaust, and make sure all the connections are tight (engine mounts, oil/water radiator mounts, etc....).
I will double check it all and take a video

Yeah it’s idle is normal id say, only concern with hearing the noise is I have a sidewinder so let’s see how it goes
Did you buy the sidewinder exhaust new? If not sometimes the exhaust flange gaskets are pooched and will allow a little bit of blow by-which is noisy...

Nah I’ve used it on my old set up. Only thing I’ve touched on the valve cover were the block off plates and I assume those pieces inside stay

Sounds like exhaust to me....but it's really hard to tell..if the exhaust gaskets were reused, they could be allowing blow-by

Take a long screw driver and use it like a stethoscope...moving the tip around to different places on the valve cover...this way you can kind of pinpoint the noise...

Do you know the history of the engine?

Sounds like exhaust to me....but it's really hard to tell..if the exhaust gaskets were reused, they could be allowing blow-by

Take a long screw driver and use it like a stethoscope...moving the tip around to different places on the valve cover...this way you can kind of pinpoint the noise...

Do you know the history of the engine?
I don’t know it 100 percent. From what I’m told it never had the exhaust changed , no ecu flash. Nothing. Just stock driven for 14k and probably hasn’t seen a ton of limiter or high rpm. But what worries me is the fact I blew up the last one and I’m getting skeptical of the pick up tube on it. I just wish I had oil pressure gauge then I’d feel better. I have a low pro oil pan, but I might just be hearing stuff. I’ll try what you said with the screw driver and see if I can pin point it.

I don’t know it 100 percent. From what I’m told it never had the exhaust changed , no ecu flash. Nothing. Just stock driven for 14k and probably hasn’t seen a ton of limiter or high rpm. But what worries me is the fact I blew up the last one and I’m getting skeptical of the pick up tube on it. I just wish I had oil pressure gauge then I’d feel better. I have a low pro oil pan, but I might just be hearing stuff. I’ll try what you said with the screw driver and see if I can pin point it.
Check the exhaust headers too...there could be a bit of blow by....

And remember the fairings are designed to muffle a lot of noise as well...that's why the stock ones have all that foam on them....

Check the exhaust headers too...there could be a bit of blow by....

And remember the fairings are designed to muffle a lot of noise as well...that's why the stock ones have all that foam on them....
I’m hoping that’s what it is, I have all these plastics off so I’m thinking it’s normal valve train noise. Just paranoid

I’m hoping that’s what it is, I have all these plastics off so I’m thinking it’s normal valve train noise. Just paranoid
I don't blame you at all....

Just to be safe, check all the things I mentioned and if you are really worried about that pick up, get that sorted out so you can sleep at night....:lol:

I don't blame you at all....

Just to be safe, check all the things I mentioned and if you are really worried about that pick up, get that sorted out so you can sleep at night....:lol:
Yeah so no exhaust leaks nothing rattling, definitely sounds like it’s coming from the top end. Only kind of vibration I can feel is when I feel the throttle cable mounting point. I’m going to pull the pan and just double check it all.. it runs fine but I can hear it noticeably

Yeah so no exhaust leaks nothing rattling, definitely sounds like it’s coming from the top end. Only kind of vibration I can feel is when I feel the throttle cable mounting point. I’m going to pull the pan and just double check it all.. it runs fine but I can hear it noticeably
It's one of those things that's hard to diagnose over the internet honestly....

These things are noisy and the sound is amplified by the shape of the frame and position of the engine...

Hi all. I’ve recently done a gen 2 swap onto my gen 1 frame. When the gen 2 ran, I can’t remember how it sound. But now that I have it in my frame, it seems like I have noise coming from top end of the engine. I’ve change to a DME 1.5inch oil pan, and put on a side winder with block off plates. I removed the oil restrictor behind the filter. It makes me really nervous because I spun 2 rod bearings on the last engine and don’t want it to happen again. I cleaned the picked up tube on the pan. I can’t figure out if it’s normal or not. It runs fine but sounds like I can hear the valves.. thanks in advanced. The new engine has 14k and has been bone stock the whole time.
So just to be clear, NO oil cooler correct?

So just to be clear, NO oil cooler correct?
Oil cooler deleted, block off plates added. I’m running a sidewinder that’s why. But the noise is 100 percent coming from inside the valve cover. I’ve come to just accept that since I have no plastics, no noise is muffled. She runs smooth and the oil pressure light hasn’t come on. I think I was just paranoid since I just did an entire transplant.

Back