No! Not my Busa too!

OB_Bob

Registered
During a great ride Sunday something happened that spoiled it slightly.
My Busa did something at idle and what seemed to be at low rpm only; idle mostly. It sputtered, cut-out, surged. I really don't know how to describe this. It occurs at idle and is felt through the frame, handle bars, and can be heard throuh the exhaust.The rider with me heard as well. Its like a blip with the ignition and/or injection. I wish i could describe it with one word.
The bike doesn't die. When it happens when the clutch is released at low rpm it does cause a hesitation, so I guess it could be a cut-out.
IS this what some of you experienced with the cut-out posts?? It doesn't sound like it.
Mine only happens occasionally. But, i fear it now will become worse. I will ride today and see if its happens again. Anybody have this problem?

Bob, the cut out is a complete "engine cutout" situation. It does not sputter or stumble it just dies. Somebody posted that cleaning the fuel filter cleared up a problem they had. The fuel filter is in the fuel pump, what does the dealer say about your problem?

Kawabuser--I will check into the fuel filter, and i have not checked with the dealer yet. You would think if its fuel related it would happen at higher rpms when fuel is more in demand.
I wanted to remove the Power Commander before I go trucking into the dealer. I did remove the P commander--no change.The problem is more of a nuisance than anything right now.
I also took it up to 10,500 rpm in 1st 2nd and 3rd.
This thing is a rocketship. Keeping the wheel on the ground in first to prevent power wheelies is getting more difficult the more miles i ride. So, my problem, at this point is not a big one. As long as it only affects the idle every so often. I will be checking in with my dyno man Suzuki mechanic this week. Maybe he can help.

I had a similar problem this weekend, well maybe not the same, but strange anyway. I came back in from a ride and the idle increased to about 1800 rpm and would not come down. I re-adjusted the idle cable to 1100 and then it straighted out. Wierd!! I hope all of us are not going to start having problems on our "first year" bike. Are we de-bugging this thing for suzuki?

hey bob, it might be possible that it's the ecm setting it's self..all ecm's have a twitch in them some where..usally at low rpm's.

no, i get it on brickyard day..i want to tell you something thats going to bug the poop out of you. but after you read it you need to probably blow it off..DID YOU KNOW???...that a loose timing chain can cause the same thing your having problems with..but there is a easy way to check it ..when your bike is running check your timing to see if it's jumping around more than a couple of degree's...if it is then it's time to pull the valve cover off...investigate your chains tension...also go ahead and adjust your valve while your in there...most of the time you can use the shims that are already in there. posible to just swap them around.the shims have thier size stamped on them..if you have one that is loose check one that is tight..maybe you can trade them..don't let the loose chain thing get you all worked up..i just wanted to let you know that it was a posibility....frank

Your the second person to tell me that. Now I feel twice as bad.
I may have to check, and my manual would sure nice to have right now. Yep still on backorder.
Bob

A twitch would be a good description Frank.
It is still happening. I tried with and without the P commander and tried setting the TPS to different positions. Still there. not that bid a deal right now. Happens mainly at idle and doesn't seem to slow me down.
Still waiting for the DYNO run. My dyno guy is back from vacation and a little backed up at work. We kinda do this on our own time, off hours. So next week looks better.
Is your bike ready yet?
Bob

i'm sorry all the way around on this one bob...i really droped the ball on the manual thing..makes me wanta ride a copy up to you NOW!...e-mail me if you still need one..

Bob what settings did you finally end up with? TPS adjustment__% ? DynoJet map changes , I assume you are useing the map for the Micron pipe.

Have you found time to run on a dyno yet?

Frank--If my timing chain tension was lacking, wouldn't this problem be there all the time? It only does it when it feels like it. I went up to Banzai Motorsports with it yesterday and sure as poop it wouldn't do it while i let it idle for 10 minutes for the service tech.
It seems to twitch after a long stretch of riding and then coming to a light. It will do it may be 1-4 times over a few minutes. I will check the timing though. I plugged the power commander to my lap top and the timing didn't move at all. But I will check the normal way next.
Kawabuser--I only made a few mods to the P Commander .003 map, and I have tried TPS settings everywhere from -2%-1% on the power commander display. Its a tough call wihtout a dyno. If I had to choose I would say the most power comes from the setting that leaves the dash in the middle of the C00 code on your display when jumpering the test plug.
But I jut made one DYNO run yesterday, read my post to the Akrapovic Yosh comparison. I will go back to the garage and try all the TPS settings and tune the power commander based on feed back from the dyno. 1 RUN, 1700 mi, 168 RWHP. Hopefully tonight.
Bob

the chain is going to wobble around at lower rpm's. the more r's the motor turns the chain will sort of tighten up.more tension...you might check the rpm's when it's doing that problem.see if there dropping to low. i know on a car ecm, it doesn't start to take over until 500rpm's.the car has to rely on it's self below that...that why i was thinking your problem was related to this....

I've had my busa for 3 months now and clocked 9000km on it. For the last month I started to get the engine cut-out problem. After several visits to the dealer they eventually decided it was over heating, due to some minor leaks in the cooling system abd the radiator cap unable to keep the system under pressure. After they fixed it I didn't get the problem again, although 4 days later the timing chaing cover wrecked the damn thing. 3 weeks, 2 pistons, 6 valves and a new cyclinder head later the bike is back. Only problem now is keeping the front on terra firma !

dazee--what was the cause of your failure??--timing chain tensioner??
What country/location--what did Suzuki say??
Why do they say it won't happen again?
Serial number??
Bob

Sorry for the late response, been enjoying riding the bike in the nice weather.
Please forgive if this is a load of crap, I know nothing about bike engines and Suzuki may have been feeding me a line or something got lost in translation.
Suzuki said the cause of my problem was the timing chain cover broke loose, this in turn managed to foul other parts of the engine and cause the resulting damage to pistons, valves and cylinder head. Certainly when the fault occured it sounded like something big had broken free inside the bike, the engine was still running but I killed it quickly as a precaution. I believe the main damage was done by the recovery guy who kept turning the engine over to hear the problem, this eventually siezed the motor.

This all happened in Japan and all work was carried out by Suzuki engineers. They had alot to say, mainly with my broken Japanese ability I think they were saying they liked the bike ;-) No assurances that it won't happen again, but the bike has been running like a dream ever since.

Frame number is JS1GW71A2X2100767

Thank you for the response and update.
Did this happen while idling?
Anyway, glad to hear your back on the Bus, and enjoying the RIDE!
Bob

Back