No No not Joe Paterno?

McQueary told Paterno.......Then because he did not Physically see the Act..........He Reported it to Superiors.
he doesnt have to see the act. he was in charge of the football program and had a legal obligation HIMSELF to make the proper notifications of suspected child abuse by telephone and written report. HE was the person in charge. HE was the head coach at a MAJOR university.

049 Pa. Code § 42.42. Suspected child abuse—mandated reporting requirements.

he doesnt have to see the act. he was in charge of the football program and had a legal obligation HIMSELF to make the proper notifications of suspected child abuse by telephone and written report. HE was the person in charge. HE was the head coach at a MAJOR university.

049 Pa. Code §*42.42.*Suspected child abuse—mandated reporting requirements.

Absolutely correct! you do not have to witness child abuse to report it, you must report it if it is suspected! No way Joe and the administration didn't know about the repetitive offenses.

While you can fault Paterno for not calling the authorities when those above him swept this under the rug, I do not see that Paterno has done anything criminal. He did what he was supposed to do and those above him failed miserably in their responsibilities. I also feel that McQueary failed miserably. McQueary is the only one who actually witnessed the incident in question and has so far been given a pass. McQueary witnesses the assault as it was happening and not only did nothing to stop it, he did not even tell anyone about it until the next day. Even if Paterno had gone to the authorities, nothing could have happened without McQueary talking to the cops. Paterno telling the cops would be nothing more than hearsay since he did not actually witness anything. I do not understand why so many people are singling out Paterno for such scorn. There are several other people who had far more responsibility to act. This is borne out by the fact that Paterno has not been charged with any crime. In my mind, McQueary is definitely more at fault than Paterno since he actually witnessed the criminal act and never went to the authorities. As the person who actually witnessed the crime, he had a legal responsibility to report it to the authorities, not wait until the next day to tell Paterno. The idea that Penn State is allowing McQueary to continue in his job at the university is an embarrassment, particularly in light of what they have done to Paterno. I also do not understand why McQueary has not been charged in this incident. Is McQueary getting special treatment from the authorities so that he will testify?!?! Penn State needs to fire McQueary now!!!

"Well Said"

Robert

I don't want to read it again but of you read PDF that Warchild linked I believe two people directly witnessed these acts, one was the janitor and the other was a grad student or something? Both saw it and turns around and walked away only to tell someone? No way I could just excuse myself and walk away if I walked into a situation like that. Grown man molesting a boy in the shower and he didn't do anything right then right there? That to me is just as criminal!

I don't want to read it again but of you read PDF that Warchild linked I believe two people directly witnessed these acts, one was the janitor and the other was a grad student or something?

The janitor has since fallen into dementia, and is no longer able to testify.

The 28-year-old Graduate Assistant is another matter altogether.

The PA Code as outlined in the above links indicated that the Graduate Assistant did not follow the law. He should have informed Paterno (which he did), but also inform the real police (which he did not). Dunno if the statue of limitations will preclude his arrest... it might.

Regardless, the Grad Assistant was a huge moral FAIL, without a doubt. He was 6'5" and in prime shape.... he could have taken the sick pedophile down right then and there. And if he had... he might have prevented the agony that Penn State is going through now.

Which is why he is being roasted in the media.... this vid from The Daily Show is as scathing as it is accurate:

Jon Stewart Talks Penn State Scandal, Joe Paterno Firing On 'The Daily Show' (VIDEO)

its federal. Mandatory Reporters of Child Abuse and Neglect: Summary of State Laws

just notifying ur boss does not cut it when you are the head coach at a major university. ur right tho the reporting requirements do vary from state to state as far as who you are required to notify tho. he wasnt some part time teacher tho, he was a major figurehead at that university and probably one of the most influential people at that entire university.

you are correct. problem is he isnt required under the mandatory reporting laws to relay hear say. He didnt see it. it was said to him by a third party. That doesnt obligate him under the mandatory reporting laws to do anything. this doesnt mean i dont think he should have done something. i think morally he should have.

049 Pa. Code §*42.42.*Suspected child abuse—mandated reporting requirements.
he is not required to report hear say. he would have had to see or hear it himself to be required to report. besides he is not the head of the university under your mode of thinking it would have had to been reported to the head honcho and they are required to report it.

I don't want to read it again but of you read PDF that Warchild linked I believe two people directly witnessed these acts, one was the janitor and the other was a grad student or something? Both saw it and turns around and walked away only to tell someone? No way I could just excuse myself and walk away if I walked into a situation like that. Grown man molesting a boy in the shower and he didn't do anything right then right there? That to me is just as criminal!

exactly correct...how could you just walk away and do nothing. they are just as responsible as anyone in this case.

he is not required to report hear say. he would have had to see or hear it himself to be required to report. besides he is not the head of the university under your mode of thinking it would have had to been reported to the head honcho and they are required to report it.
wrong! its not a court of law. its a university with credible information from a credible member of the facilty. hearsay does not apply.

he is the head of the football program where the incident took place. he absolutely is required to report it. "reasonable cause" to suspect on the basis of their professional or other training or experience, that a child coming before them in their professional or official capacity is a victim of child abuse." it took place on his watch in an area he had authority over and was advised of a serious allegation.

hearsay applies to what is admited in a court of law. NOT information passed along to you pertaining to child abuse. apples to oranges. in a non-judicial hearing hearsay is allowed.

wrong! its not a court of law. its a university with credible information from a credible member of the facilty. hearsay does not apply.

he is the head of the football program where the incident took place. he absolutely is required to report it. "reasonable cause" to suspect on the basis of their professional or other training or experience, that a child coming before them in their professional or official capacity is a victim of child abuse." it took place on his watch in an area he had authority over and was advised of a serious allegation.

hearsay applies to what is admited in a court of law. NOT information passed along to you pertaining to child abuse. apples to oranges. in a non-judicial hearing hearsay is allowed.

He ultimately has to decide the legitimacy of the information that was passed to him. So who does he trust? a student aid or a fellow coach he has worked with for how many years? yes he does have the right not to say anything. he has the right to decide the legitamacy of the source. Mandatory reporting is not all inclusive you do still have some decisions to make. he as a mandatory reporter doesnt have to report anything if he doesnt think it happened or he doesnt trust the source.

You have GOT to be fookin' kidding me..... this dirtbag child-raper is out on bail?!

Judge who freed Jerry Sandusky was also a Second Mile volunteer

A $100K unsecured bail... meaning he walks without even putting up the $$$ (it's only enforced if he skips bail).

This pedophile is free out on the streets right now..... :banghead:

Wow.....

They don't think he's a risk of flight? Knowing that he faces LIFE in the Big House when convicted? And knowing what GenPop folks think of child-rapers? :dunno:

You have GOT to be fookin' kidding me..... this dirtbag child-raper is out on bail?!

Judge who freed Jerry Sandusky was also a Second Mile volunteer

A $100K unsecured bail... meaning he walks without even putting up the $$$ (it's only enforced if he skips bail).

This pedophile is free out on the streets right now..... :banghead:

Wow.....

They don't think he's a risk of flight? Knowing that he faces LIFE in the Big House when convicted? And knowing what GenPop folks think of child-rapers? :dunno:

Maybe one of the fathers will rid us of the need for a trial!

Well I didn't post cause I didn't know anything about it. But after a few days of it on the news. Paterno knew about it and did nothing. He should fry with the guy actually doing it.

He ultimately has to decide the legitimacy of the information that was passed to him. So who does he trust? a student aid or a fellow coach he has worked with for how many years? yes he does have the right not to say anything. he has the right to decide the legitamacy of the source. Mandatory reporting is not all inclusive you do still have some decisions to make. he as a mandatory reporter doesnt have to report anything if he doesnt think it happened or he doesnt trust the source.
wrong. when a Penn State football coach alerts his head coach that he'd seen a former defensive coordinator sexually assaulting a boy id say its pretty credible information. in fact, the Police and the university feel the same way so if you think he has the right to say nothing you would be wrong. Mandatory reporting is required period and he had credible information from a credible source.

the whole "I didnt think it happened" attitude as you state is not for him to decide. thats for the police to decide. he had no reason not to trust the source nor does he state that he had any reason not to trust the source so ur argumant is baseless.

and based on the fact that the police found enough credible evidence to get an arrest warrant signed by a judge id again say ur wrong and the Penn State university will end up paying out millions as a result.

if that was ur kid being sexually assaulted in the locker room would you feel it was ok for the head coach to just notify the athletic director and hope he does nothing about it to save the school from embarrassement or would you expect the head coach at a major university to follow up on such a hanis crime that likely resulted in many other children being raped as a result.

criminally I dont think Paterno has anything to worry about at this point but civilly he better put his house in someone elses name cause the civil burden is nothing like the crimnal burden. just ask "OJ".

Sandusky's backyard joins the property of a school?
Like letting the wolf live feet away from the chicken coop!

Cases like this where there is no question of such heinous crimes and who committed them should allow for immediate execution.

BEING IM FROM TENNESSEE I VOLUNTEER :laugh:

I don't have the words. What a sick bastid. I'll be standing in line (Right behind Saiid) to give this PoS a swift kick in his privates, right before they execute him. Like a rabid dog, he's got to be put down. Of course, better yet, he's gonna be SOME inmates prisonbioch and get passed around. Serves him right.

Paterno: If he knew, and yet did nothing about it, he know's that's wrong and he's going down with the ship. Yes, as in the Military, is responsible for what happens on his watch. And should have fully cooperate with the authorities. He didn't need to call the police, he needed to carry the witness who initally reported it to him down to the police station and stand there while HE reported it (otherwise it's just heresay and not admissable in court).

Sometimes in a man's life, he's got one of those real opportunites to either do the RIGHT thing, or turn the other cheek and walk away. Paterno had the chance and unfortunatly failed those boys. I suspect he really wishes he could take that one back.

I still don't understand why everyone is supporting paterno and acting like he was wronged by being fired?

He didn't need to call the police, he needed to carry the witness who initally reported it to him down to the police station
yep. thats what a real man would have done. he, like many other cowards in this world thought if he did the bare minimum it would be enough. he thought wrong.

I don't know if he had a legal obligation to report the aligations, but under his contract with the NCAA, yes he has a contract because he is a head coach, he is obligated to investigate all alligations of misonduct against his players and staff.

Even though he reported it to the AD, he still did not fufill his duties. At a minimun, he should have told the person who witnessed the act to report it to the police if he believes he saw a crime.

Back