Nightmare

BBB, if you don't mind me asking, how many miles on the chain and was it the factory? If not, what manufacturer and model chain? This has happened to entirely too many busa folks....and the result is always the same. I am currently running the stock chain and sprockets but getting ready to go up two in the rear and replace all sprockets and chain. At 7100 miles, I'm starting to get very uncomfortable with the stock unit. By the way, my dealer says the stock RK chain is rated for 9600 psi, higher than I would have guessed. I can feel your pain.....good luck on the repairs.
I have purchased another stock chain, I have about 16,000 on the bike and the chain has probably 5000 on it.

Glad to hear you and your wife stayed upright!  It could have been bad.

Couple questions to prevent future occurances;
What chain and sprokets did you have??
How often did you clean the chain??
How often did you lube the chain??
How often did you check chain tension??
How long have you had your chain??

Also, if you haven't had the chain long, the chain manufacturer might cover some costs.
This is true I will definatly have to see if they will cover some costs, the chain isn't very old at all I don't think.

I went with a DID ZVM 530 x-ring chain, 10,600, in gold. $140.
I think it has 10,400 tensile strength, but the x-ring chain has a few advantages over the standard o-ring chain. I use the D.I.D. myself and it's great. The D.I.D.'s come pre-stretched from the factory. I've had one on for almost two years now and haven't had to adjust once. Just purchased a new one because I just stretched the Busa 4", and I will probably have to add links from the chain I have on now.

Sorry to hear about misfortune. That really sucks. Like the others have said though, it could have been a lot worse it it caused you to take a spill. I'll definitely be a little more vigilant in my chain maintenance from now on.

I still can't believe it happened, I went out on the busa last night because I just can't stand to let here sit there, keep in mind its 35 degrees, and so my wife says she wants to go also, we leave no big deal its had time to warm up so I get in it and we blast off, Wonder how it gives you that feeling every single time.  We get to town I make my deposit and we head back.  Theres a road on the way home thats a mile and a half straight and I'm in it, no biggy either do it all the time and my wife loves it, hit about 100 something and guess my chain snaps, and that was the first thing that ran through my head.  Thank god that my rear wheel is free because a lock up at that speed doesn't sound fun at all.  So I coast back to the road that turns to my house with the wonderful yet horrible smell of anti-freeze and oh yes oil running through my nose.  Get it home and in the garage and check out the damage.  Chain has gashed my swing arm, and wrapped itself very tight around the front sprocket, which the expanded chain reached out and broke the water pump and then jacked up some stuff on the gears, I would suppose because I can't shift at all or hardly move the shifter. I do have picks and will be sure to post then asap,  there were medal chunks falling out all over the place, I'm about sick as a dog right now, that bike is my baby, I'm sure you know how I feel.  Any clue on how much it will cost, might be easier after you have pics.  Anything like this happened to you all.
First of all bbbsleeper, I can't help but laugh at your screen name. Usually people come up with a screen name that relates to something of significance to them. I just can't help but laugh when I think of you "sleeping at the Better Business Bureau."
laugh.gif

On a more serious note, this is what I'm guessing that you've damaged and will have to replace: Water pump, front sprocket cover, and gear shift cover. I'm not at all sure what a new water pump will cost, but I've had this issue and I know that a new sprocket cover costs about $65, and a new gear shift cover cost about $49. One word of advice, make sure you have the RIGHT TOOLS for the gear shift cover removal and install. Oh yeah, don't forget to order the gasket that goes with the gear shift cover. You can order everything you need You're gonna need a small combination wrench in the size of the bolts that hold the covers on. I can't remember, but I think it may be a 5mm. Trust me, there is one bolt that is just inside the frame that is next-to-impossible to remove. If you don't have the right tool, your first inclination will be that you have to remove the engine from the frame to get to it. The right tool and a little patience on your part will make this job possible. Good luck dude.

Brian

sorry to hear about your bike. I am very happy to hear that noone got hurt. I could have been so much worse.

Yay chainguard. I can't imagine spilling with my wife on the back, sure glad you didn't.

Wow, that had to be an experience you don't want to repeat! I am just glad you and your wife are okay...

You'll get your Busa fixed soon, I'm sure...look at it this way - you just found a winter project!
tounge.gif

Good luck bbb...
smile.gif

Man Sleeper I'm glad you both are allright. When I read the topic I thought for sure it would say "and then I woke up" at the end of the thread.

nightmare is when you crash and you die, bad dream is when you crash and your bike dies and you are OK

Sorry about the bad luck, but like everyone else said, glad you and your wife are ok. Bikes can be replaced, lives can't. You'll get her on the road soon I'm sure.

Sorry to hear about the damage to your bike. Glad to hear that everyone is ok.

BBB, if you don't mind me asking, how many miles on the chain and was it the factory? If not, what manufacturer and model chain? This has happened to entirely too many busa folks....and the result is always the same. I am currently running the stock chain and sprockets but getting ready to go up two in the rear and replace all sprockets and chain. At 7100 miles, I'm starting to get very uncomfortable with the stock unit. By the way, my dealer says the stock RK chain is rated for 9600 psi, higher than I would have guessed. I can feel your pain.....good luck on the repairs.
I have purchased another stock chain, I have about 16,000 on the bike and the chain has probably 5000 on it.
5000 on the chain. How many miles on the sprockets.    
rock.gif

Most importantly, I'm glad that you and the wife are ok!
The bike will be fine with some tlc.

bbbsleeper, sorry to here it... but glad that you and your wife a safe
smile.gif

I also will back the DID ZVM 530 x ring chain. I put it on my busa and haven't had to adjust it once since. I tore the factory chain up by 5,000 miles I stretched it so bad. The DID defaintely takes the abuse. I got the silver color to go with my black and silver bike color to. That gold factory one looked like crap.

I also will back the DID ZVM 530 x ring chain. I put it on my busa and haven't had to adjust it once since. I tore the factory chain up by 5,000 miles I stretched it so bad. The DID defaintely takes the abuse. I got the silver color to go with my black and silver bike color to. That gold factory one looked like crap.
Spoken like a TRUE D.I.D. chain user/customer...
biggrin.gif
But, I personally DO LIKE the gold chain.
cool.gif

Back