Stealership nightmare ii

BusaWhipped

Donating Member
Registered
For those of you who missed part 1, I took the Busa to the dealership for a new chain. Multiple phone calls, multiple visits, and 2 1/2 weeks later I got my bike back.

I just got done cleaning the chain for the first time, and the fugger has a clip on master link. I have a Charity ride tomorrow that I'm committed to, and I have to ride the whole thing worried whether or not the chain will stay together. I 'm shooting the video for their DVD, so I can't just skip it to get a new master link. This really SUX.

I guess the "tech" at the dealership can't read. This is directly out of the service manual

chin_warning.jpg

That sucks! Just don't crack the throttle open real hard and you should be alright. Just keep the camera rolling.

sad.gif
Like I've said you gotta find a shop you trust... I tend to belive that there are alot of good dealerships out there, but Damn... I mean damn. A clip is just really dumb, anyone at the shop should know better...

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155950831 -->

I've used a clip type connector for a couple weeks waiting on a new chain. You'll be OK. Get it replaced with the correct connecting link after the ride and don't sweat it. You'll be fine. I went 165 with it on. No worries. They don't just fall off.

IF installed correctly you'll be fine! I've been running one now for at least four months and a trip to Arkansas and back.....
But, shame on the dealer for installing this. Were they out of rivet style clips and asked if it was ok? If they just did this without you knowing not good.. They should install the factory spec without charge or warranty the clip and chain they installed without.

<!--EDIT|ks-waterbug
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155953277 -->

IF installed correctly you'll be fine! I've been running one now for at least four months and a trip to Arkansas and back.....
But, shame on the dealer for installing this. Were they out of rivet style clips and asked if it was ok? If they just did this without you knowing not good..
I didn't know it had a clip-on until I cleaned it today. They didn't say a word.

many chains come with clip masters.
the manual is only worded like that because the oem one was a rivet master. but that oem was also a lesser quality chain that strrreeettcchhed...
since you didn't mention (that I recall) what brand you bought, that may just be what was in the package.
Unless you are johny throttle or putting 175HP to the ground...I wouldn't think twice about it. Just remember to inspect the link to make sure it hasn't moved.
You can always place a dap of JB weld on the plate to secure the the clip. Just be sure to only put it on the plate and not the pins, as they need to move.

or just get it replaced when you have the time...whichever.

<!--EDIT|BusaCruise
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155956759 -->

many chains come with clip masters.
the manual is only worded like that because the oem one was a rivet master.  but that oem was also a lesser quality chain that strrreeettcchhed...
since you didn't mention (that I recall) what brand you bought, that may just be what was in the package.
I unless you are johny throttle or putting 175HP to the ground...I wouldn't think twice about it.  Just remember to inspect the link to make sure it hasn't moved.
You can always place a dap of JB weld on the plate to secure the the clip.  Just be sure to only put it on the plate and not the pins, as they need to move.

or just get it replaced when you have the time...whichever.
+1

ive had a clipon master on my bike for 3 yrs and drag race it, top end it and everything in between. never had any problems. i recently bought an ekZZZ which only comes with the rivit type. i modified it to fit with a clipon type and havent had any problems.

its alot easier for cleaning also. you can take it off the bike without removing the tire.

You will be fine with a clip style link. I have installed several onto bikes. I do always recommend the rivet style though.

I requested that the chain be replaced with a OEM chain. I got 19,000 miles out of the original. It looks like I didn't get that. Thanks for the responses. I will be having a riveted link installed. But at least I'm not so worried about riding her in the mean time.

Just like to add, because I do not think anybody mentioned it.....

It is important the clip is on correctly........... by this I mean, it is directional........

You may already be aware of this just thought I'd mention it....
smile.gif

OK.  I've been busy editing the video from the ride.  I'm supposed to show the first edit to the Charity leader tonight.  Just a quick update.  I sent an email to the dealership with my dissatisfaction with the job they did.  OK, maybe it wasn't that polite.  It definately wasn't politically correct.  Anyway, here is their response:

With all due respect, you do not have a clip on masterlink.
You have a pressed on link (special tool required for installation, pressed on process) with a safety clip.  This type of connecting means and the chain you purchased is engineered for maximum performance for your Hayabusa.

Regards,

CVPS - Service Dept.[/QUOTE]

Not even enough guts to put their name to it. I guess they don't want to be hend responsible for misinforming the customer. I haven't sent this photo to them yet. Before I call them an outright liar, I'd like a second opinion (or third, fourth, fifth, ...) I just took this photo 10 min ago. Looks like a plain old clip link to me.

100_1385.jpg

Still not RIVET type link. STILL A FREAKING "Clip" Style and not up to snuff. I know what they are thinking and I know WHY they are dragging their feet. Chains are expensive.

Look in your Owners manual and service manual, I am pretty sure it specifies RIVET type master.

Why not simply pop clip off, remove master link and stop in to see them - asking they check their rivetinmg tool - as it appears somwhat flawed ... you could then use said link to in some way enforce your frustration and lack of satisfaction ... should be able to pick up a service manager by the nostrils with that link spacing ;-)

they're blowing smoke up your butt .... don't take it.

I would have called my the local Suzuki Rep by now.....if you are THAT disatisfied with it.

choice is yours....there's nothing really 'wrong' with what they did, unless you made the specification clear.

On the upside...they got the clip oriented correctly.
tounge.gif

They might have skimmed $20 off the top, but lost a customer. Bad biz but typical.

Back