News coverage comparison with Vietnam?

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
A tired and disgusted Iowa soldier fired off an e-mail a few days ago, telling family and friends how things are going in Iraq.

A Blackhawk helicopter pilot, Chief Warrant Officer Jim Funk has flown more than 80 combat missions since he arrived there in October.

He described his Boone-based unit's successes after 5,000 hours of flying out of LSA Anaconda, a huge American base north of Baghdad. He talked about the tragedies he and his fellow Iowans have witnessed and his worries of becoming complacent as he goes on mission after mission.

Morale?

"We're treading water," the Ames man told the people closest to him. "We continue to kick butt on missions and take care of each other, even though we know the American public and government DOES NOT stand behind us.

Ohhhh, they all say they support us, but how can you support me (the soldier) if you don't support my mission or my objectives. We watch the news over here. Every time we turn it on we see the American public and Hollywood conducting protests and rallies against our 'illegal occupation' of Iraq."

His greatest frustration? The performance of the people who deliver the news to the American people.

I'll let him say it, in his own words, in the letter, which found its way to me:

"Hello media, do you know you indirectly kill American soldiers every day? You inspire and report the enemy's objective every day. You are the enemy's greatest weapon. The enemy cannot beat us on the battlefield so all he does is try to wreak enough havoc and have you report it every day. With you and the enemy using each other, you continually break the will of the American public and American government.

"We go out daily and bust and kill the enemy, uncover and destroy huge weapons caches and continue to establish infrastructure. So daily we put a whoopin on the enemy, but all the enemy has to do is turn on the TV and get re-inspired. He gets to see his daily roadside bomb, truck bomb, suicide bomber or mortar attack. He doesn't see any accomplishments of the U.S. military (FOX, you're not exempt, you suck also).

"Let's give you an example. A couple of days ago we conducted an air assault. We lifted troops into an area for an operation. The operation went well and our ground troops killed (insurgents) and took several prisoners, freed a few hostages and uncovered a weapons cache containing munitions and chemicals that were going to be used in improvised bombs.

"The next morning I woke up and turned on AFN (Armed Forces Network) and watched the nightly news (NBC). Nothing, none of that reported. But the daily car bomb report was reported, and the file footage was not even from the event. There was a car bomb in the Sadr City area and your news report showed old car bomb footage from another part of town from some other time.

"So we really set the enemy back that night but all the enemy had to do was turn on the news and be reassured that the enemy's agenda (objective) was still going to be fed to the American public.

"We, the soldiers, keep breaking the back of the enemy. You, the media, keep rejuvenating the enemy.

"How hard would it be to contact the PAO (public affairs officer) of the 1st CAV, 36th CAB, 25th ID or the Marines and ask what did you guys accomplish today - good and bad? How about some insurgent blooper videos? Now that would be something to show on the evening news.

"Media, we know you hate the George Bush administration, but report both sides, not just your one-sided agenda. You have got to realize how you are continually motivating every extremist, jihadist and terrorist to continue their resolve to kill American soldiers."

It's a punch in the nose to the news media from Funk, 39, a full-time employee of the Iowa National Guard.

Why did he write it?

"I am just tired of busting my butt over here and coming home every night and turning on the TV (Armed Forces Network) and hearing how we are failing miserably," he told me in an e-mail.

You may agree with what Funk has to say. You may not.

Many in my business certainly won't. But Funk is a soldier, fighting a war, who has earned the right to be heard.

I really don't understand how we can win the battles but lose the war, in Vietnam or Iraq...
sad.gif

Someone close to me (family) that served in both Iraq twice and Afghanistan filled me in years back on just how biased the media is, just how much they sensationalize non-facts for ratings and how they can take an incident completely out of context and make America and Americans serving and fighting in this war looks so horrifically heinous...

It's a very sad fact of life, then (Vietnam) and now...only way to combat that line of spoon-fed thinking is to believe what you will, but never take what you see at face value...there's always way more to the story than you're given...so much of the media isn't about reporting the truth, but sensationalizing the horrors and working to persuade us that we're doing no good because far too many media outlets feel they actually have a political stance in the game, when in fact that's exactly what they shouldn't have...

There are two sides to the war argument...I can only really trust in those that HAVE BEEN THERE and what they've seen/done...I support our troops and hate the thought of our men and women returning from war to people spitting in their face like my father experienced when he got off the plane from his tour in Vietnam...how Americans could EVER disrespect a fellow human being, a fellow American in such a way leaves me with nothing but anger and disappointment...

and yet we all still watch "the news" like it is correct or important.

Take a stand.... TURN OFF THE NEWS!

(WWJD @ May 30 2007,14:45) and yet we all still watch "the news" like it is correct or important.

Take a stand.... TURN OFF THE NEWS!
I watch the news so I don't live in a box, but that doesn't mean I believe all that I hear/see...

If it bleeds it leads.BS....You'll never see the good because it simply doesnt have the pizazz or doesnt excite the average viewer.

(nitrousjunkie @ May 30 2007,14:49) If it bleeds it leads.BS....You'll never see the good because it simply doesnt have the pizazz or doesnt excite the average viewer.
I do honestly believe that many media outlets put their own spin on the topics simply to feed their political views, not only for sensationalism...it would be easier for them to only show the bloody battles, the latest car bombing, but at times they've gone out of their way to incorrectly report facts about an attack in an effort to show how bad America is for even being there...

...far too much political drive behind today's reporting, both in the newspapers and on TV...

This really sucks!

It would be nice to have some private reporting company without an agenda to get news from. How are we the masses ever supposed to hear the truth when we are always fed lies. Why does the news media paint such an anti-American picture anyway? It seems that we should all band together as a nation to get through this instead of finding ways everyday to just make things harder. I guess somewhere in the grand scheme of things, somone is getting their pockets filled to do things the wrong way.

(Jet Li @ May 30 2007,14:57) This really sucks!

It would be nice to have some private reporting company without an agenda to get news from. How are we the masses ever supposed to hear the truth when we are always fed lies. Why does the news media paint such an anti-American picture anyway? It seems that we should all band together as a nation to get through this instead of finding ways everyday to just make things harder. I guess somewhere in the grand scheme of things, somone is getting their pockets filled to do things the wrong way.
IMHO, media outlets are being led by people that have forgotten the point of a news outlet, so they turn their entire network in to a way to push their personal views on the masses...you can watch any of the big 4 and see which ones are far left and which are far right...same goes for the larger newspapers in the nation...

It's a shame that no one seems to care about truth anymore, just semi-truth and sensationism in journalism...

(Rayabusa0818 @ May 30 2007,15:00) I have never understood why the media reports information that seemingly puts our troops in harms way.
...because they don't agree with them being there and they lose sight of the fact that their actions do indeed put our men and women in harm's way
sad.gif

And, I blame Hollywood...since when does anyone ever care about what the Sean Penns and Susan Sarandons of the world think?  How dare characters like Rosie O'Donnel think for a second that their voice is louder than any other American's voice...it's an unfortunate state of our nation when we, as every day Joe's, turn to actors and comedians for political views...or, maybe that's just me...

rant.gif

One of the reasons I like this board is because our motto is "Supporting Our Troops and Their Mission". I don't lose sight of that just because the news media reports half the story most of the time.

Talk to the soldiers if you want to know what's happening on the ground (and the Internet makes it easier to bypass the propaganda.) Let them know that we're grateful for the job they do.

(DAB @ May 30 2007,15:07) Talk to the soldiers if you want to know what's happening on the ground (and the Internet makes it easier to bypass the propaganda.) Let them know that we're grateful for the job they do.
+1000

Only they know what it's like and what's real vs. what's being fed via the media...

(VaBusa @ May 30 2007,12:05) And, I blame Hollywood...since when does anyone ever care about what the Sean Penns and Susan Sarandons of the world think?  How dare characters like Rosie O'Donnel think for a second that their voice is louder than any other American's voice...it's an unfortunate state of our nation when we, as every day Joe's, turn to actors and comedians for political views...or, maybe that's just me...
+1

Being a celebrity doesn't make you an expert in anything.

Irresponsible Media? This totally pi$$e$ me off on a daily basis. Just ask the families of the slain Virginia tech Students who got to watch the tape that little spineless SOB left talking about what he was about to do to their children but the media thought it was news worthy and aired it anyway. Now I am all for free speech but do you think our founding fathers had that particular scenario in mind when they wrote our constitution? I know it is a very fine line between censorship and responsible journalism but they (the media) cross it every day without regard or circumstance. It sickens me that they use this highly powerful political tool to further their own cause at the behest of the very people who are fighting and dying in the middle-east every day that give them the freedom and ability to do so. I had a relative who was in the first Gulf “conflictâ€￾ and came home a very different person than the one we sent there. I fear that the teenagers who are over there now will likely end up the same. Abused by the media, spineless protesters and political hopefuls, forgotten or shunned by society, damaged goods. This is getting to be an epidemic.

To all those who are out there every day doing their “dutyâ€￾ and laying it all on the line and protecting me and mine.

I thank you!

Very good example - the VT murders...it was horrific to see all the media outlets parading the video of the killer, but you could tell behind the scenes that they were all chomping at the bit to be the FIRST one to show who he was, what he had to say...those poor families, having to see him and his twisted hate before he killed so many
sad.gif

I used to want to be in journalism; I love to write...but, it's a form of media I know I couldn't live with, especially if you're at the whim of the big wig at the top saying "no, push the bad stuff!  This is GREAT!  We'll be the first to report all the gory details..."  I'd have to sell my soul to stay in a business like that...

New mission in Iraq,shoot the press
guns.gif

Freedom of the press is horrably abused.How can they call it a feedom to press when lives are at stake?The line needs to be drawn.

Rant activated:
I served in Iraq during the first Desert Storm in 90-91.
This war is much different. Then we had a mission/objective.
Now, we're over there playing crossing guard and buddy maker.
Do we actually think, that we're going to clean up that place?
It's like LA in the 80's...only 100 times worse with a 2000 year history of grudges between tribes.
And the most messed up part of it is that the large majority of schools over there are still teaching 4 year olds to hate us. (similar to the KKK in the south, only X1000)
Believe me, they have a much more refined, intense form of hate than we ever will. Their hate is religious.
I feel a level of embarassment that these Smiley Happy handed politicians are running things because my fellow vets are still over there, but we need to get them home and let them have their civil war. We had one! What? Now we're not going to let other countries have theirs? Let them draw their own lines in the sand. BS...
100,000 Iraqi lives aren't worth one broken finger nail of an American serviceman. That's how I see it.
The military is trained to Kill, destroy, kick ass, win and then GO HOME! Not to play crossing guard for their public library.
This "Winning the Peace" is a fallacy cooked up by Democrats to create something that we cannot accomplish that they can blame Repulicans for, it's a political ploy....a sick, twisted mindset that in order to gain political popularity, our military has to lose lives, that's their angle.
Basically what it all comes down to is that you guys over there now and everybody that are home now and the wounded and killed, did and are doing an outstanding job as always!!! and I love all of you for it, but I detest the Military being used for in a political cock fight.
I could literally go on for days about this, but I gotta ride.
rant.gif

peace out.

(VaBusa @ May 30 2007,11:46) I watch the news so I don't live in a box
hehehe... now see... I PERSONALLY feel that believing that >IS< living inside the box. it's like the big lie: THIS is important because we grow up doing it and accept it as normal.... IE the box. we are what we eat.... mentally...DAILY. but you know how I feel ;)

(Luvanicebum @ May 30 2007,17:16) Rant activated:
This war is much different.  Then we had a mission/objective.
It's like LA in the 80's...only 100 times worse with a 2000 year history of grudges between tribes.  
And the most messed up part of it is that the large majority of schools over there are still teaching 4 year olds to hate us.  (similar to the KKK in the south, only X1000)  
Believe me, they have a much more refined, intense form of hate than we ever will.  Their hate is religious.  
I feel a level of embarassment that these Smiley Happy handed politicians are running things because my fellow vets are still over there, but we need to get them home and let them have their civil war.  We had one!  What?  Now we're not going to let other countries have theirs?  Let them draw their own lines in the sand.  BS...
100,000 Iraqi lives aren't worth one broken finger nail of an American serviceman.  That's how I see it.  
The military is trained to Kill, destroy, kick ass, win and then GO HOME!  Not to play crossing guard for their public library.
This "Winning the Peace"  is a fallacy cooked up by Democrats to create something that we cannot accomplish that they can blame Repulicans for, it's a political ploy....a sick, twisted mindset that in order to gain political popularity, our military has to lose lives, that's their angle.  
Basically what it all comes down to is that you guys over there now and everybody that are home now and the wounded and killed, did and are doing an outstanding job as always!!! and I love all of you for it, but I detest the Military being used for in a political cock fight.
rant.gif

peace out.
Thank you for being there.

(Luvanicebum @ May 30 2007,14:16) Rant activated:
This war is much different.  Then we had a mission/objective.
And the most messed up part of it is that the large majority of schools over there are still teaching 4 year olds to hate us.  (similar to the KKK in the south, only X1000)  
Believe me, they have a much more refined, intense form of hate than we ever will.  Their hate is religious.  
I feel a level of embarassment that these Smiley Happy handed politicians are running things because my fellow vets are still over there, but we need to get them home and let them have their civil war.  We had one!  What?  Now we're not going to let other countries have theirs?  Let them draw their own lines in the sand.  BS...
100,000 Iraqi lives aren't worth one broken finger nail of an American serviceman.  That's how I see it.  
The military is trained to Kill, destroy, kick ass, win and then GO HOME!  Not to play crossing guard for their public library.
This "Winning the Peace"  is a fallacy cooked up by Democrats to create something that we cannot accomplish that they can blame Repulicans for, it's a political ploy....a sick, twisted mindset that in order to gain political popularity, our military has to lose lives, that's their angle.  
rant.gif

peace out.
To get to the meat of what I have to say below, just go to this web site and figure it out

http://electroniciraq.net/cgi-bin/artman/exec/view.cgi/14/660

Also look at the Geneva Convention

http://www.unhchr.ch/html/menu3/b/92.htm

For an in depth explanation as to why I mentioned going to this link, read below

If we pull out now the people who hate us most will take over the country and will be able to grow in power and wealth until they have the ability to strike us hard.

Saddam was a minor threat compared to the threat we will face if Islamic extremist get their own country to build a military from. And if we pulled out of Iraq tomorrow that is what will happen.

We wont face a threat this year or next year, but in about 10 to 20 years once a new Iraq under extremist control had taken over, then they will be powerful enough to strike us hard.

It is better to squash it now than wait for 20 years and have my sons or grandsons have to fight a war we might lose.

We are NOT in Iraq just because we want to be good guys and help them out, we are there for the following reasons

First, Iraq was defying sanctions placed on it by the international community, nothing the IC was doing was forcing Iraq to comply. There was only one course of action left, military action, however only a handful of countries had the balls to do what was needed.

Our going into Iraq was fully justified.

once we did invade Iraq and removed the government from power, then we need to consider the following:

1)  When a country invades another country and removes the government from power, the invading country is obligated to re-establish an infrastructure in that country so that it may maintain itself economically and militarily and has a government in place to handle the needs of the population.

This is why we helped rebuild Japan, why we helped rebuild Germany.

If no one is familiar with international law, then before speaking any further on the subject please read this to become more informed

http://electroniciraq.net/cgi-bin/artman/exec/view.cgi/14/660

By international law we are now REQUIRED to ensure that before we pull out of Iraq that we have ensured the country can take care of itself and that there is an established government in place. It is our obligation to the citizens of Iraq imposed by international law that all countries are held to.

So by international law we are obligated and bound to stay until a government is established, that is why our government has been pressing so hard for them to establish a government so they can take over. EVERYONE wants out, including our politicians, and they are pressing the current Iraqi government to work harder and faster.

All the enemy has to do is stop fighting, let a government get established and we will be out of there. But the enemy doesn’t want us to leave, they want us to stay there because if we leave they wont be able to experiment with different weapons to determine which works best, they wont be able to strike us as easily if we pull out, and the conflict is helping their recruiting process, if we pull out everything will fizzle and their recruiting numbers will dwindle.

So no matter how much the extremists “say†they want us to leave, they don’t. it is in their best interest for us to stay.

So the bottom line is the extremist want us to stay so they have someone to fight

The Iraqi government wants and NEEDS us to stay because they need protection and help

EVERYONE just about in the U.S. government wants to pull out, but we cant due to obligations set forth in international law

AND, if we do pull out and allow the extremist to take over the country, they will build the country into the biggest Islamic extremist country you could imagine that will eventually declare war on the entire world. Remember, these people don’t believe in living harmoniously with other religions, you either convert to Islam or you are to be killed, end of subject.

And if we pull out now and everything happens that I predict would, every country in the world will forever blame the United States for not finishing the job when it could have.

So would anyone like to explain to me how we can just pull out now without there being major consequences for us and the entire world down the road? Not to mention we would be blatantly ignoring and breaking international law which would not set well with the rest of the world governments.

It would be nice if we could just go to another country and bomb it to he11 and leave, but that is not something the governments of this planet have established as acceptable.

The whole thing sucks, but we are committed for numerous reasons as stated

Back