New BMWs on the way

Justyntym....the marketing coup is the fact that Busa sales did not follow the norm of spiking early in the life of the model and then dropping off substantially. That is why most car/bike makers run on a 4 or 5 year cycle of introducing new/upgraded models, because sales drop off and no one wants the old version. This was not the case with the Hayabusa, sales actually rose through the years which is very, very rare. It's great that you like going to demo days and riding other peoples bikes. Some like to do that and others don't. Comparing the Concours "domination" of its market segment with that of the Busas is just plain wrong. Your subline about being a pessimist is right on the money. Well said.

heres hoping for less weight and more cc's. :whistle:

Here's hoping for some decent BNGs even. The white/gold is at least different, and doesn't look all that bad to me (some replacement chrome/gold stuff would be :drool:), but the black/red reminds me of a '65 Galaxie 500 4 door. :puke:.
And the sad fact is, we're still paying 2011 prices for 2008 bikes. I got a stonkin good deal on my '07 that made it close to a '99 price, so I came out smelling like a Rose even there.
But, in all reality, Hayabusas are niche market bikes. They're not going to get the R&D $$ that the ever changing, highly demanded, liter and 600 bikes will. If people don't buy Busas as they are, I figure 'Zuk will eventually just drop the model period.
Next month (September) should tell the tale on whether Suzuki is going to be a major player in the sport bike market.. or not.

Here's hoping for some decent BNGs even. The white/gold is at least different, and doesn't look all that bad to me (some replacement chrome/gold stuff would be :drool:), but the black/red reminds me of a '65 Galaxie 500 4 door. :puke:.
And the sad fact is, we're still paying 2011 prices for 2008 bikes. I got a stonkin good deal on my '07 that made it close to a '99 price, so I came out smelling like a Rose even there.
But, in all reality, Hayabusas are niche market bikes. They're not going to get the R&D $$ that the ever changing, highly demanded, liter and 600 bikes will. If people don't buy Busas as they are, I figure 'Zuk will eventually just drop the model period.
Next month (September) should tell the tale on whether Suzuki is going to be a major player in the sport bike market.. or not.
I agree HillBilly :laugh: I think the busa had its day in the top speed sun, but times and rules have changed, and its roles as Suzuki's flagship is no longer needed. It, like the 14, are niche bikes, and I don't think its profitable enough for the companies to invest in keeping them cutting edge like the liters or 600's, or they would. After 9 years all suzuki gave us was a very slighty warmed over busa, instead of a complete redesign which the liters and 600's get every 2 years. That pretty much tells the whole story :whistle:

I'd love to see the RC211V engine available to us in a sport touring bike. That or the 1680 cc's of the VMax in a sport touring bike. Almost (actually did) buy the VMax first, but just couldn't give up the sport performance and extra range.

Although, I also have to say, for the sport touring I do, other than pure bragging rights, the 'Busa has more than enough power to rip up the highways and the twisties. Maybe a little more in suspension and weight reduction, and far more attention to ELECTRONICS!!

I agree HillBilly :laugh: I think the busa had its day in the top speed sun, but times and rules have changed, and its roles as Suzuki's flagship is no longer needed. It, like the 14, are niche bikes, and I don't think its profitable enough for the companies to invest in keeping them cutting edge like the liters or 600's, or they would. After 9 years all suzuki gave us was a very slighty warmed over busa, instead of a complete redesign which the liters and 600's get every 2 years. That pretty much tells the whole story :whistle:

Uh, not exactly...

From Wikipedia...

Typically, a new sportbike model sells well in its first year, and then sees its
numbers decline every year as it grows older. The Hayabusa reversed this
pattern, selling in greater numbers every year from the 1999 launch through
the 2008 revision. From its debut in 1999 to June 2007 over 100,000
Hayabusas were sold worldwide.[28] In the United States in each of the
years 2005 and 2006, over 10,000 units were sold.

The hayabusa was and IS not only their flagship but their cash cow, they made
a TON of money with no R&D. AND, like my Concours example...with all that
money coming in, they certainly could have updated the brakes or whatever,
regardless of sales. The story it tells is Suzuki is cheap and short sighted,
hence a partial theme of this whole thread. It's not only just the busa,
but apparently all models and potential new models and/or updates as well.

Niche bike...that's pretty big NICHE, the worlds 2nd most customized bike
next to hardly fergisons.

As far as the day in Sun being over...OMG...it certainly doesn't HAVE TO BE
quit making excuses. 1400+cc over 200 hp to the rear with traction control,
do you think that would put the busa back into the "sun"? ???

do you think that would put the busa back into the "sun"? ???

I doubt it. Where is this "super busa" supposed to get recognition. The original busa made it's name by being a 200mph rocket ship. Todays rules prevent that from happening again. In order to be the hottest thing on two wheels you have to be the best at something. IMO redesign it to be the ultimate open class sport bike, not an evolutionary step between sport bike and sport tourer.

Uh, not exactly...

From Wikipedia...

Typically, a new sportbike model sells well in its first year, and then sees its
numbers decline every year as it grows older. The Hayabusa reversed this
pattern, selling in greater numbers every year from the 1999 launch through
the 2008 revision. From its debut in 1999 to June 2007 over 100,000
Hayabusas were sold worldwide.[28] In the United States in each of the
years 2005 and 2006, over 10,000 units were sold.

Thanks for repeating what I just pointed out to you 3 posts earlier.:poke::laugh:

blah, blah, blah, soo what if BMW is coming out with a faster bike.
The busa looks better, I am happy with my busa.

Thanks for repeating what I just pointed out to you 3 posts earlier.:poke::laugh:

I offered proof and actual figures.
:tongue4: :laugh:

I never disputed that fact, my point was not to use success for an excuse not
to continue to improve (like the concours). Had they done that, they probably
would have squeezed the 14 out of existance.

Remember when Suzuki showed the Stratosphere concept with the I-6 engine in it, popular opinion was that Suzuki was secretly showing us the Gen3 Hayabusa engine.

It's a shame that that bike (or engine) never reached production.

Originally Posted by Justyntym
do you think that would put the busa back into the "sun"?
I doubt it. Where is this "super busa" supposed to get recognition. The original busa made it's name by being a 200mph rocket ship. Todays rules prevent that from happening again. In order to be the hottest thing on two wheels you have to be the best at something. IMO redesign it to be the ultimate open class sport bike, not an evolutionary step between sport bike and sport tourer.
I have to agree with fastblackblur, Suzuki themselves didn't even treat the 2nd gen busa like it really had a place of its own......they didn't send it out with enough power to dominate the dragstrip and streets, it can't "legally" claim high speed honors anymore (which the 14 and BMW have over it derestricted anyways unofficially) its not comfy enough for a sport tourer, but too heavy to hang with the liters.......so what exactly is Suzuki trying to do with it? Unless they decide where it belongs (which I think should be the biggest baddest a** hyper muscle bike on the planet) then I think its market share is going to start dropping as more and more liter bikes start kicking its a**. If Suzuki doesn't give it a MAJOR hp boost soon, I think the busa as we know it will soon be gone, probably morphing into a true sports tourer :laugh:

Their ad fails to mention that it lost out to the Aprilia for sportbike of the year in Motorcyclist mag. Just an oversight on their part I'm sure.....

Hey, how come we don't have 50 threads about the Aprilia on our forum anyway?:whistle:

The Aprilia isn't quite as rude as the BMW, and costs a bit more too.

I've got to see a RSVR Factory in action at the track and let me tell you, it is a thing of beuty.

16 July/Sully track day on Vimeo

starting at about 3:40 into the video you can see that thing run away from my 03 GSXR 1000 like I do from SV650's....amazing

The Aprilia isn't quite as rude as the BMW, and costs a bit more too.

I've got to see a RSVR Factory in action at the track and let me tell you, it is a thing of beuty.

16 July/Sully track day on Vimeo

starting at about 3:40 into the video you can see that thing run away from my 03 GSXR 1000 like I do from SV650's....amazing

Plus it's a tiny little thing, and most Hayabusa owners are, shall we say, too "big boned" for a 3/4 scale superbike. :laugh:

Plus it's a tiny little thing, and most Hayabusa owners are, shall we say, too "big boned" for a 3/4 scale superbike. :laugh:

Man, are you being PC about some of us :whistle:

Although, I would love to see some of us on an APRILIA :laugh: , talk about seeing an Elephant on a bicycle :rofl:

I'd like to see the Busa move to a sport touring bike model, or at least offer it in that style. Even my BKing is not as comfy as it should be for long hauls. The problem is that the bikes all have way too little distance between the seat and the pegs for us BIG BONED riders. I would love to have 3 more inches so my legs don't cramp up as much on a long haul. That and a decent windhsield would pretty much be all I need. Well, and some decent saddlebags that can take 140 mph without any problems. Very easy fixes for a busa motored bike made for touring. Oh and I'd go to a shift assist or 5 speed trans. The six speeds of the Busa/BKing are overkill and too much. I skip shift all the time in normal street driving. Gears 4,5 and 6 are just too close together. 5 gears would take care of that on this big motor!

Their ad fails to mention that it lost out to the Aprilia for sportbike of the year in Motorcyclist mag. Just an oversight on their part I'm sure.....

Hey, how come we don't have 50 threads about the Aprilia on our forum anyway?:whistle:

Didn't the s1000r win the overall best bike of the year in that article... I don't think they wanted it to have top honors and the sportbike category.

I'd like to see the Busa move to a sport touring bike model, or at least offer it in that style. Even my BKing is not as comfy as it should be for long hauls. The problem is that the bikes all have way too little distance between the seat and the pegs for us BIG BONED riders. I would love to have 3 more inches so my legs don't cramp up as much on a long haul. That and a decent windhsield would pretty much be all I need. Well, and some decent saddlebags that can take 140 mph without any problems. Very easy fixes for a busa motored bike made for touring. Oh and I'd go to a shift assist or 5 speed trans. The six speeds of the Busa/BKing are overkill and too much. I skip shift all the time in normal street driving. Gears 4,5 and 6 are just too close together. 5 gears would take care of that on this big motor!

Dude you don't want a busa, you want a Connie or an FJ

That's because it won MOTORCYCLE of the year.

Normally they spread it out a tad, can't recall a single motorcycle
winning in more than one catagory (I could be wrong though :whistle:)

Besides, the Aprilia isn't posting 193 hp and kicking our tail @ the strip,
that's why there are no Aprilia threads.

Back