Need some help with facts, ZX14

Exactly Rick, so if the bikes are restricted to 186 because of an agreement how can a writer make a claim in a magazine that the ZX 14 is the fastest production bike? The race was over a few years ago... I think I will send him a note and let him know it :)

Because they confuse FASTEST and QUICKEST. Fastest being highest top end and quickest being the one that can get to 186 first.

194mph for 1999 and 2000 then in 2001 the 186 mph limit went into place

#1 Busa cover.jpg

Because they confuse FASTEST and QUICKEST. Fastest being highest top end and quickest being the one that can get to 186 first.

It's still a play on words. If the other bikes tested don't go 186mph (in the article), then maybe they are going off the restricted numbers...

ZX14 186

Busa 184

It doesn't matter that the BUSA gets there quicker, lame...

Last edited:
I just read the end of the article. "the zx14 is what Gadson rides" so.... :rofl: ummm who ever sponsors you always your favorite when you're under contract. :laugh:

btw, I think that was the same issue that listed in the new products section the BST wheel for 240 sized tires at a price of $150.00 :poke:

Last edited:
I propose a new yardstick: Since the limit is 186mph, then the fastest bike in the world should be the one that reaches that speed fastest right ???

I propose a new yardstick: Since the limit is 186mph, then the fastest bike in the world should be the one that reaches that speed fastest right ???

No, because that would be quickness.

Cap is correct the "fastest" race ended with the restriction. Now the term is just used to sell magazines. Almost every one of those articles are the same all they do is put in a different bike. Cut and Paste Journalism at its finest.

I just read the end of the article. "the zx14 is what Gadson rides" so.... :rofl: ummm who ever sponsors you always your favorite when you're under contract. :laugh:

btw, I think that was the same issue that listed in the new products section the BST wheel for 240 sized tires at a price of $150.00 :poke:

Ain't that the truth !! How about Jason Briton from "Super Bikes", the first season he said Gsx-r was the best bike there was, next year (or year after) he was sponsored by Kawasaki, now that's the best ?

whether the busa is faster or not its a better made bike and still takes best in class looks any day. the zx-14 looks like :moon:

I believe the top speed attained by any magazine was 194 by CycleWorld - far above that of any ZX14 tests I've read since the bike was released in 2006. As for getting there (186) quicker, I don't even know if that's the case with the bike. It seems the bulging front end of the zx really starts hampering it's aero qualities at the higher speeds so I'd have to ask for a heads up run between the 2 bikes at the Mile or Maxton where they can reach their top governed speeds. Pose that challenge to the editor....take a 2010 zx14 and a 2009 Busa to either venue and do a heads up run to see who gets there the quickest. :whistle:
Well that has been done .. Brocks 2006 ZX14 ran just over 200 at Maxton .. Brocks 08 Busa set up the same way 201 at Maxton .. It was done two years apart but the out come is pretty telling ..
As far as drag racing you just need to look at AMA supersport class .. The ZX14 is hair faster than the Busa with the same mods and pro riders.. That is pretty telling also .. The two bikes are so damn close it comes down to the rider ..The ZX14 seems to ET a hair better while the Busa does MPH just a bit higher than the ZX14 ..

Last edited:
Well that has been done .. Brocks 2006 ZX14 ran just over 200 at Maxton .. Brocks 08 Busa set up the same way 201 at Maxton .. It was done two years apart but the out come is pretty telling ..
As far as drag racing you just need to look at AMA supersport class .. The ZX14 is hair faster than the Busa with the same mods and pro riders.. That is pretty telling also .. The two bikes are so damn close it comes down to the rider ..The ZX14 seems to ET a hair better while the Busa does MPH just a bit higher than the ZX14 ..

Not to get all technical but it took Chad at 130lbs. to go 200mph on the 14. Brock himself went 201 on the BUSA at almost 200lbs which NEVER happened on the 14... ;)

The 14 may be a hair quicker but SS rules are NOT stock motorcycles. The higher MPH tells the story and the aero wins the top speed wars... :beerchug:

Not to get all technical but it took Chad at 130lbs. to go 200mph on the 14. Brock himself went 201 on the BUSA at almost 200lbs which NEVER happened on the 14... ;)

The 14 may be a hair quicker but SS rules are NOT stock motorcycles. The higher MPH tells the story and the aero wins the top speed wars... :beerchug:
Well be fair to Brock it was his first time racing top speed and he did well to go 196 and change on his zx14 for the very first time LSR , with more seat time brock would have gone faster.. Yes Chad went 200.99 on Brocks zx14 and Lee Shierts went 202.57 on Brocks Busa ...Both Lee and Chad are pros and you can see the MPH is very close Between the two bikes and riders.. Like i said , it comes down to the rider because the bikes are so close ..

As far as SS bikes they can mill the head and set cam timing but can't touch the ports in anyway ..The engine must use all factory parts ..Ceramic wheel bearing and trans bearing are legal .. After market rear shock is ok ..The bikes are lowered to 2 inch ground clearance .. No sidewinder pipes .. Any aftermarket street pipe is ok along with an P/C and tune ..The Busa and ZX14 must weight 680 pound with rider ( most SS guys have to add 15 to 25 pounds to make weight ) The rules are very very tight ..:beerchug:

Back