Need some help with facts, ZX14

Your not helping, I just want to know if my facts are correct.. If so then someone needs to send an email to that writer and let him know the race was over a few years ago...

Like I said ... who cares... :poke:

The peasants always attack the King..

Last edited:
I believe the top speed attained by any magazine was 194 by CycleWorld - far above that of any ZX14 tests I've read since the bike was released in 2006. As for getting there (186) quicker, I don't even know if that's the case with the bike. It seems the bulging front end of the zx really starts hampering it's aero qualities at the higher speeds so I'd have to ask for a heads up run between the 2 bikes at the Mile or Maxton where they can reach their top governed speeds. Pose that challenge to the editor....take a 2010 zx14 and a 2009 Busa to either venue and do a heads up run to see who gets there the quickest. :whistle:

you are correct the reason the zx14 is the fastest may be because jason britton and ricky gadson both write for 2WT are are sponsered by kawi hmmm?????? guess its a coincidence

All history aside, the BUSA was the king for a long time, but it is no more.

If you put speed, comfort, touring, twisties, reliability and 2up together, it is still the king, but single out any one of those characteristics and there is something better.

All history aside, the BUSA was the king for a long time, but it is no more.

If you put speed, comfort, touring, twisties, reliability and 2up together, it is still the king, but single out any one of those characteristics and there is something better.

Of course there is a better bike in each of those areas but name one bike that has it all like the busa? You can ride it on the track, quarter mile, tour on it, ride it in the city, 2up it does it all.

I always keep my July, 2008 copy of Cycle world close by for comfort!

'08 ZX-14
1/4 mile: 9.97 @ 146.19 MPH
hp = 163.7
torque = 103.7 ft-lbs
top speed = 187 MPH
dry wt = 537 lbs.
0 - 180 MPH =19.77 sec

'08 Hayabusa
1/4 mile: 9.90 @ 147.94 MPH
hp = 173.4
torque = 103.9 ft-lbs
top speed = 186 MPH
dry wt = 552 lbs.
0 - 180 MPH = 18.25 sec

This might help...
The Suzuki Hayabusa (or GSX1300R) is a sport bike motorcycle made by Suzuki since 1999. It immediately won acclaim as the world's fastest production motorcycle, with a top speed of 188–194 miles per hour (303–312 km/h).

Hayabusa 隼 is Japanese for Peregrine Falcon, a bird that often serves as a metaphor for speed due to its vertical hunting dive, or stoop, speed of 180 to 240 miles per hour (290 to 390 km/h), the fastest of any bird.[6][7] In particular, the choice of name was made due to the fact that the peregrine falcon preys on blackbirds, which reflected the intent of the original Hayabusa to unseat the Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird as the world's fastest production motorcycle.[8][9][10] Eventually, the Hayabusa managed to surpass the Super Blackbird by at least a full 10 miles per hour (16 km/h).[4][11]

In 2000, fears of a European regulatory backlash or import ban[12][13][14] led to an informal agreement between the Japanese and European manufacturers to govern the top speed of their motorcycles at an arbitrary limit.[15]

The media-reported value for the speed agreement in miles per hour was consistently 186 mph, while in kilometers per hour it varied from 299 to 303 km/h, which is typical given unit conversion rounding errors. This figure may also be affected by a number of external factors,[16] as can the numbers for horsepower and torque.[17]

The conditions under which this limitation was adopted led to the 1999–2000[2][3] Hayabusa's title to remain, at least technically, unassailable, since no subsequent model could go faster without being tampered with.[18] Thus, after the much anticipated[19][20][21] Kawasaki Ninja ZX-12R of 2000 fell 4 mph (6 km/h) short of claiming the title, the Hayabusa secured its place as the fastest standard production bike of the 20th century.[22][23][24] This gives the unrestricted 1999–2000[2][3] models even more cachet with collectors.[25]

Besides its speed, the Hayabusa has been lauded by many reviewers for its all-around performance, in that it does not drastically compromise other qualities like handling, comfort, reliability, noise, fuel economy or price in pursuit of a single function.[5][26][27] Jay Koblenz of Motorcycle Consumer News commented, "If you think the ability of a motorcycle to approach 190 mph or reach the quarter-mile in under 10 seconds is at best frivolous and at worst offensive, this still remains a motorcycle worthy of just consideration. The Hayabusa is Speed in all its glory. But Speed is not all the Hayabusa is."[26]

This might help...
The Suzuki Hayabusa (or GSX1300R) is a sport bike motorcycle made by Suzuki since 1999. It immediately won acclaim as the world's fastest production motorcycle, with a top speed of 188–194 miles per hour (303–312 km/h).

Hayabusa 隼 is Japanese for Peregrine Falcon, a bird that often serves as a metaphor for speed due to its vertical hunting dive, or stoop, speed of 180 to 240 miles per hour (290 to 390 km/h), the fastest of any bird.[6][7] In particular, the choice of name was made due to the fact that the peregrine falcon preys on blackbirds, which reflected the intent of the original Hayabusa to unseat the Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird as the world's fastest production motorcycle.[8][9][10] Eventually, the Hayabusa managed to surpass the Super Blackbird by at least a full 10 miles per hour (16 km/h).[4][11]

In 2000, fears of a European regulatory backlash or import ban[12][13][14] led to an informal agreement between the Japanese and European manufacturers to govern the top speed of their motorcycles at an arbitrary limit.[15]

The media-reported value for the speed agreement in miles per hour was consistently 186 mph, while in kilometers per hour it varied from 299 to 303 km/h, which is typical given unit conversion rounding errors. This figure may also be affected by a number of external factors,[16] as can the numbers for horsepower and torque.[17]

The conditions under which this limitation was adopted led to the 1999–2000[2][3] Hayabusa's title to remain, at least technically, unassailable, since no subsequent model could go faster without being tampered with.[18] Thus, after the much anticipated[19][20][21] Kawasaki Ninja ZX-12R of 2000 fell 4 mph (6 km/h) short of claiming the title, the Hayabusa secured its place as the fastest standard production bike of the 20th century.[22][23][24] This gives the unrestricted 1999–2000[2][3] models even more cachet with collectors.[25]

Besides its speed, the Hayabusa has been lauded by many reviewers for its all-around performance, in that it does not drastically compromise other qualities like handling, comfort, reliability, noise, fuel economy or price in pursuit of a single function.[5][26][27] Jay Koblenz of Motorcycle Consumer News commented, "If you think the ability of a motorcycle to approach 190 mph or reach the quarter-mile in under 10 seconds is at best frivolous and at worst offensive, this still remains a motorcycle worthy of just consideration. The Hayabusa is Speed in all its glory. But Speed is not all the Hayabusa is."[26]

:thumbsup:

you are correct the reason the zx14 is the fastest may be because jason britton and ricky gadson both write for 2WT are are sponsered by kawi hmmm?????? guess its a coincidence

BINGO!!!

That is why the ZX14 is being labeled as the speed king in that mag when it clearly is NOT.... :banghead:

All the bike rags to to write more of this type article. Why? What do you think is going to happen over the next year or 2 after the new BMWs release? I bet we see leaps from the big 4 with their liter bikes. Not only do we need more competition from the ZX14 but would be nice for others to jump into this arena. We need upgrades more than every 10 years!!

I believe the top speed attained by any magazine was 194 by CycleWorld - far above that of any ZX14 tests I've read since the bike was released in 2006.

all the mags had different top speeds (189/192/194), but heres the cover from the Cycle World...

194.jpg

here's the actual cover story (if it helps with your research...makes for some good reading anyway). I took a pic of the entire page, and then a close-up of the text.

194 001.jpg

194 002.jpg

194 003.jpg

194 006.jpg

194 007.jpg

194 008.jpg

194 009.jpg

194 010.jpg

194 011.jpg

194 012.jpg

194 013.jpg

194 016.jpg

194 017.jpg

Exactly Rick, so if the bikes are restricted to 186 because of an agreement how can a writer make a claim in a magazine that the ZX 14 is the fastest production bike? The race was over a few years ago... I think I will send him a note and let him know it :)
the writer probably owns a 14 and wanted to stroke his ego a little bit???

Where does the Turbo busa come into play. Weren't there some factory Turbo Hayabusas or were they all after market? (honest question)

Back