My Yamaha car...

yamahor

DEAD MAN WALKING
Donating Member
Registered
So, I got an idea... I'm looking at getting a low mileage engine from an automatic trans SHO for my manual trans SHO... the difference? going from a 3.0 to a 3.2... The gains? I'd be going from a realistic 180-ish at the wheels to a realistic 300-ish at the wheels when I'm done
biggrin.gif
. Why swap when I'm trying to save money to go to college? Well, I want to make this car reliable... The 3.0 in there, I have no clue on it's history... I'm getting insurance money from my wreck on the busa, plus I got a TON of SHO parts I'm selling to pay for this, and so I'm gonna get another SHO engine, refresh it, and swap it over. I've done my research, and I won't be losing much gas mileage... still stay around 30mpg on the highway (LOVE IT) and I'll gain at least 100 HP. I'm looking at some cams, although I probably won't do them (about $500 for 15-25 hp, depending on stage), some headers ($450), and a 60k maintainance kit ($400)... So, to get 280-300 hp VERY reliably (basicly a new engine) at the wheels on a Taurus (
biggrin.gif
), and still pull 20-ish mpg city, 30-ish mpg highway... I'm looking at about $1000-1500 with the help I'll have enlisted to do it... $150 to swap an engine, and do it reliably (Dude has 8 SHO's... Has engine swaps down to a science)? I can deal with that...

I hope with any luck selling these parts I have pays for most of it... If I got the money from these parts I have, I'll do the cams, if I don't have a reasonable amount, I won't...
cool.gif

biggrin.gif

(Rylinkus @ May 22 2007,13:21) How are you going to get 300ish whp?
Well, with the Headers and more displacement. Also, the 3.0 I have in there now is worn out, not very well maintained, and probably on the way to bad rod bearings with my luck. I said 180 at the wheel realistically cause thats the lower number for the SHO engines in mines condition. Once the engine swap is in, the 3.2 makes more power as is, plus the headers, and I've seen them dyno at 280 WHP. Plus, I got a few tricks I've learned I'm gonna do, and some things already done, that should bump it up more...

(BusaWhipped @ May 22 2007,13:38) Should you be putting your insurance money on a new Hayabusa?
Gonna get another busa later. I got an old Virago to ride for now. Gonna work on college and getting a reliable, fun car going.

What year is the SHO? You have to think about the rear can it handle the power? How bout the front end (Ball joints, Bushings, Sway bar links, Steering) all this stuff is just as old as the motor and just as well taken care of!
You might be better off just buying a newer low milage car then dumping good money after bad!
Remember when you upgrade the power you should also upgrade the brakes!

(05BusaLe @ May 22 2007,15:10) What year is the SHO? You have to think about the rear can it handle the power? How bout the front end (Ball joints, Bushings, Sway bar links, Steering) all this stuff is just as old as the motor and just as well taken care of!
You might be better off just buying a newer low milage car then dumping good money after bad!
Remember when you upgrade the power you should also upgrade the brakes!
Good point... I'll look over those... Never thought of that.

(Vic_E55_2001 @ May 22 2007,15:23) Ben, sell just sell it.
Nah... it's reliable and fun as is. The main reason this thought came into my head is that I want to make it as reliable as possible. The fun would only cost a bit more. Plus, with the 3.2 out of the car geting everything done to it at that point, I wouldn't have to wait with the car down to do it. I'd have the car down for about a day instead of about 2-3 for doing rod bearings and everything else. On top of doing that, I'd get some extra ponies for the trade of a engine I have in my garage...

(yamahor @ May 22 2007,11:51)
Well, with the Headers and more displacement. Also, the 3.0 I have in there now is worn out, not very well maintained, and probably on the way to bad rod bearings with my luck. I said 180 at the wheel realistically cause thats the lower number for the SHO engines in mines condition. Once the engine swap is in, the 3.2 makes more power as is, plus the headers, and I've seen them dyno at 280 WHP. Plus, I got a few tricks I've learned I'm gonna do, and some things already done, that should bump it up more...
I guess it's the tricks that I'm wondering about. The 3.0 SHO engine and 3.2 both make the same hp 220. The 3.2 has a slight increase in TQ. (15 ft/lbs I think) To see 280 whp, I'd imagine you'd need roughly 310 crank hp. And you're not going to get that from the typical I/H/E type setup. I just don't think you can realistically expect those type of gains from what you have listed.

(Rylinkus @ May 25 2007,14:09)
(yamahor @ May 22 2007,11:51)
I guess it's the tricks that I'm wondering about. The 3.0 SHO engine and 3.2 both make the same hp 220. The 3.2 has a slight increase in TQ. (15 ft/lbs I think) To see 280 whp, I'd imagine you'd need roughly 310 crank hp. And you're not going to get that from the typical I/H/E type setup. I just don't think you can realistically expect those type of gains from what you have listed.
It's basivly the 3.2 small block. Heads and EVERYTHING else (more or less) is swapped from the 3.0 to the 3.2... THe cams are more aggressive in the 3.0. The 280 WHP is coming from a dyno chart someone has who dynoed his SHO with: a 3.2 swap, headers, and a high flow Y-pipe. My plan was to do all that, but the headers are too much at this point for me... But I need a Y=pipe anyway, so might as well go High Po...

As for my 300WHP prediction... That was with the swap, headers, Ypipe, Big Bore Butterflies (worth around 8 hp), 73mm Mass Air (worth about 11), and my already gasket matched intake (not sure hp value...)...

(HAYA!Busa @ May 25 2007,14:24) Bah fook the SHO buy a 300ZX TT... no mods needed, just straight 300 ponies
super.gif
300ZX = More money than I want to spend (and I can't fit in it...

SHO = Fun, 4 door sleeper car that's paid off

Ben,
I don't care what you do to the SHO -- how it rides -- how many horses you can get -- its a fuggin taurus!!!!!
Boy and you think you don't get laid now
Then again if you cruise the nursing homes -- hmmmmmm
You arent in the peoples republic of california -- drop a 350 into an s-10 with a big lumpy cam. Sure -- no gas mileage-- but even 5 diffrent colors that thing would be coooool

Back