My new 2.5" lowering link

megawatt

Registered
Since work is keeping me away from starting my turbo install I figure I would ask one of the mechanics if he can make me a set of steel lowering links. I have a set of aluminum 0-2-4" lowering links that work well, but I can't get over the thin wall between the holes. Heavy bike and riding two up on aluminum links just never really was confident inspiring.

I left him the link and marked the overall length needed to get the 2.5" of lowering. This is what I found in my mailbox today. Holy they are the same thickness as the aluminum but weight about ten times more and made of some scrap steel we have here at the plant. These babies will not flex and I can't think of why they will not work.

Comments??

link.jpg

With the turbo I will have dump pipes so I am gaining some 2" of extra ground clearance where the exhaust headers use to run under the engine. I figure on trying to see what 2.5" of lowering looks like. The price was right, so why not?

Thats what I suggest to anyone with the skill...have seen a bunch of broken aluminum links. Nice work all!

A non adjustable aluminum link is plenty strong :thumbsup:

Yup but steel is stronger.

I used these links for many trips, riding two up, and drag racing, they work just fine. When I bought them I waited until I found 7075 T6 aluminum, instead of the 6000 series aluminum links.

Being extended I can't use stock height, and 4" was too low to even use the kickstand. Three inches may of been just fine but still a problem with the kickstand so I figure on trying the 2.5" drop.

So let's get building Joe. I'll be back from Cal on Sunday night......what'cha' doing with the old exhaust ????......

So let's get building Joe. I'll be back from Cal on Sunday night......what'cha' doing with the old exhaust ????......

The alien head with removable silencer plug should come off later today. I will be putting it in the classifide section soon after. ($700ish)

Back