lowering links

gunsavy

Registered
I want to lower my bike in the rear i already bought the links. but recently read post of people having problems cornering or bottoming out, also the links dont appear to have alot of material in between the 3 holes and they are also made of aluminum I bought them of ebay from dtmoto are the stock ones made of steel or aluminum

I have the Roaring Toyz lowering links no problems or doubts about thier strength. If you into conering don't lower it. The less you lower it the happier you may be cornering wise. I'm 5 ft tall I had no choice but to slam it. But it still takes a pretty big dip or a pretty big angle for mine to bottom out. I only lowered the front 1 inch an have never hit my front fender.

I have never had a problem either. I'm 5'6" tall. I had my '00 dropped 1" front/ 2" rear with aluminum links, no link strength issue, and didn't scrape plastic once. With that bike, I tried cornering as hard as my abilities would allow. I will probably do the same with suspension when I buy a 08 or 09.

Well, the only thing that botoms out on mine is the belly wing, every now and then, and mine is slamed, as far as the corning, mine handles the same, but more comfy for me, and most are made of allum, but usually High Grade, so set it for what works for YOU, you can allways go back up.

norris 009.jpg

I used links I got from ebay for a couple months and I ground the right fairing and the kickstand. I was mad about the fairing and took them off. That was 2 years ago now I m dragging things again and I m learning to hang off the bike to keep from draging and keep up with my liter bike riding friends. If you love the turns leave them off I would raise my bike in the rear an inch but I am to short.

Stockers are aluminum, and stronger than you may think.

The three hole variety is normally equally tough.

If you go to maximum drop, you will change the suspension geometry, as well as the ride height. That change in suspension geometry will be noticeable, as the ride will be a little on the less than desirable side, from a performance standpoint (entrance and exit on corners, etc.).

I installed a set of Soupy's adjustable lowering links on my wife's '08. Not only are they adjustable to minute increments, but the construction seems indestructible. The drop of one inch resulted in a nice look, and more secure footing at a stop. I feel very confident that the links will NOT go out of adjustment until if and when I decide to change the height.

Stockers are aluminum, and stronger than you may think.

The three hole variety is normally equally tough.

If you go to maximum drop, you will change the suspension geometry, as well as the ride height. That change in suspension geometry will be noticeable, as the ride will be a little on the less than desirable side, from a performance standpoint (entrance and exit on corners, etc.).

I installed a set of Soupy's adjustable lowering links on my wife's '08. Not only are they adjustable to minute increments, but the construction seems indestructible. The drop of one inch resulted in a nice look, and more secure footing at a stop. I feel very confident that the links will NOT go out of adjustment until if and when I decide to change the height.

Soupy's are the sh*t!

i lowered 1.5" front and rear and i bottomed the belly out today. and under hard braking the front fender hits the under side of the opper cowel. i am 5'10 160 with the front fork as tight as i can get it and the rear cinched up to correct sag. i do need to change the fork springs for sure but not sure this would solve the rubbing. i also drag my toe more often and i am by far no leaner. its something that i am going to have to get used to i think just like when i lowered my car. But it looks sick as hell.

Mine is lowered with Soupy's both front and back. Only bottomed out(belly pan) once. Coming off a curb to slow out front of my house. I don't ride hard into turns. Guess mostly there aren't many hard turns here in fl. Lot's of sand on turns here also from time to time.

Only picture I've seen was a guy's 1k links breaking not to long ago. They broke while he was in a turn. Basically bottomed out his ars end the thought of this possibly happening to me made me invest a little more $$ for soupy's. They certainly cheaper then hospital/bike repairs from a wreck.

With Ebay being such a marketplace for stuff, you basically have to use your own judgment on the quality of what you buy.

Certain items is ok to save a few $$,but on items that can effect your health and/or bike repairs try not to skimp the $$. Just my :2cents:

i bought stainless ones from ebay which have a higher tensile strength than aluminum. i paid $27 for mine and see to be working good so far

Dont worry about the links. My bike was dropped 2 inches when I bought her. I raised it back up because at the time, we rode 2-up most of the time. Being lowered and having a passenger rubbed a hole in my inner. :banghead: Raised it back to stock and have been happy since. However, I did scrape my header on the driveway leaving the house when it was low. Just be careful and you will be fine. The was the day I brought her home.

bike 005.jpg

Back