Medical Update.....

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
I posted up last week that I had gone and had an MRI done last week and today I went in to get the results. The orthopedic doctor that I see called me into a viewing room and he had the whole wall covered with xrays and the MRI results... He showed me a bunch of things that frankly I didn't understand and he new it. Finally he pulled a marker out and drew two lines on the pic of my neck... He told me in laymans terms that I have two buldging discs and that there isnt any need for concern right now. He told me what we already new and that my neck muscles were spasming and pulling my c spine into a straight line instead of a nice curve. He took his glasses off and then pointed to an area in my C5 vertebrae and asked me if I could see that dark spot, I said yes.. He told me that that was a tear in the protective area covering my spinal column and that for all physical reasons I should be a quadrapalegic or dead. He said that when I hit the truck I had enough energy to do that they I was a prayer away from death. He said that since the accident that the area had scarred over and that was the dark spot.... He told me that if it was not for the thickness of my body and my muscle mass in my neck that there was no doubt that I would have died.... I'm a pretty tough guy, mentally and physically, I've seen a lot but when he looked at me and told me these things I thought of my two boys and my wife of 18 years..... I cried right there, then the Doc got teary eyed and he started to cry. I asked him what he was crying for and he said that God put him on this earth to help people....... I went home told my wife what had happenned and got a little teary again.... At the end of the day the Doc says that my neck is OK now but I am very succeptable to arthritis and the disc bulging more over time.... Surgery is not necessary right now.

I start pyhsical therapy this week for several weeks and the doc said that I need to build up those neck muscles to protect my neck more from lifting and movement...

I have to be the most blessed man on this earth.....

Hug your kids, kiss your wife, wear your gear and get in shape is my new montra.......

Cap

Well, not completely good news, but not too bad there Doug. Take it easy and work on those neck muscles. Know it had to be humbling to hear those things come from the doctor, but at least it was just that not demoralizing or depressing because it was worse. Make sure to do all the things you stated and we're here to help you in whatever way we can.

Damn Capt that is humbling
SHOCKED.gif

Good to hear you're going to be OK, close call and I am sure its put a new light on your life.

Things could have been much different, stay strong bro
muscle.gif

Wow Doug. I don't quite know what to say right now other than I'm thankful you survived that accident. I think I can relate on some level though. Everytime I look at the helmet I had on when I went down, I have the feeling if I had not had it on I would not be here today. Thank God your OK and still with us. Any discussion regarding risk associated with continued riding?

Dayum Doug. Kind of grabs you by the juevos. Glad you are a big squishy guy.

Hope everything continues to improve.

Shape up...Gear up.

Glad it wasn't any worse for you cAp. I guess news like that, can, well, will make you think.
God was watching out for you man!! Give him thanks!!
thumb_up.gif

I've been trying to think of something to say but all that comes to my mind when I read your story is WOW.

Thank you Lord for letting us keep our Captain!

Well sounds like it was a good thing you were a fat muscle head ?
laugh.gif

funny the gifts you get in life without even knowing it...

Good luck with the therapy! I am sure you are going to really enjoy it ... (ok maybe not)
beerchug.gif

There is no down-side to the emotionally moving news you received today, Cap. None.

You have been given insight into what had been happening anyway, and it reminded you at your core, of your humanity and great fortune to be with the people you are with in these the days of your life.

Some of us are in what we call "Bonus Rounds". I am included in that number. Each day is a gift, every friend is a treasure.

Congratulations on what I consider to be SPECTACULAR news.

We are indeed lucky, lucky people.

Your fan,

Scar

from what you found out about could have been you have a beautiful outlook on life.
God has a plan.
beerchug.gif

Dayuuum Doug. Kinda puts things into a new light now, huh? It does for me. Wish you the very best, Brother.

DD

Doug,
I have close to the same injury. Herniated disks between C5/C6 and C6/C7. I also did not have to have surgery. My orthopedic surgeon told me one of the best physical rehab exercises was swimming. Mine happened in June of 2000. I have put over 20k miles on a Busa since then, no problems.

Don

I've been trying to think of something to say but all that comes to my mind when I read your story is WOW.

Thank you Lord for letting us keep our Captain!
+1, spooky how close you came... devine intervention to keep the board up & running!proof that even God himself loves Hayabusa.org and what it stands for. hopefully the long term effects will be minimal.
please.gif

CAP , I am really glad you came out of everything somewhat ok, We are all praying for you to be able to make a full recovery from this. Everybody on this site that has had the privelage to meet you and your wife know what kind of man you are, I personally am glad I had the oppurtunity to meet you and your wife, Without you none of this would be possible. Keep your head up and keep on keep'n on! You and your family are always in my prayers, God Bless and I hope to see you at the MNG in Arkansas!
beerchug.gif

We lose so many great people to early in their lives while others who are less deserving seems to scrape by.

I'm so glad the lord above got it right this time.
beerchug.gif

Wow Doug. I don't quite know what to say right now other than I'm thankful you survived that accident. I think I can relate on some level though. Everytime I look at the helmet I had on when I went down, I have the feeling if I had not had it on I would not be here today. Thank God your OK and still with us. Any discussion regarding risk associated with continued riding?
Hal I asked that very question.... What if any are my new limitations... He said none, live life and get strong. I asked about racing this year he said "hope you win". He said that the damage was there and nothing was going to affect it worse.

You guys make no mistake I absolutely Thank God for just another blessing in my life. This is fantastic news, I can do any therapy I need to. It's a heck of a way to get my attention but I need to lose some weight anyway. Everytime I think about it I think of what I almost missed and the pain my wife and kids almost suffered. I hate even thinking about it....

This my friends is a good thing, what I have now I will deal with.....

cap

Back