Low power at 15psi. With dyno graph

Hey guys!

So I finally have finished my build. We strapped it to the Dyno and it was just an absolute dog.
Here is the build
Gen 2 engine from a 2008 BK 5k miles
Holley HP Ecu
Aeromotive A1000 fuel system with 1:1 fpr
E-85 fuel
MPS fuel rail
82lb injectors
JE 8.7:1 Forged pistons
Base spacer
Comp CTCTR5858 Air Cooled Turbo. T3 .63 housing with polished Compressor Housing (E-Cover)
Tial blow off valve and wastegate
3” straight pipe exhaust
Upgraded ape valve springs
I took the head in to have it milled and 5 angle valve seats.

We did a few pulls and at 4psi, it was making 125hp.
We have turned it up to 15psi and are getting 207hp. Something does not seem right at all here. Does anyone have any ideas? Do you think I put the camshaft chain on off a bit? Is there any adjustment to the timing to accommodate for the base spacer?
Any idea of where to start looking would be greatly appreciated.
30722FE5-A9EE-4DA4-8246-9491B43F7659.jpeg

Well poop, the VERY reputable companies on this forum were the ones who suggested the JE 9:1 pistons. I was told I needed the base spacer to run these pistons.
Do you guys think that removing that base spacer would yield over 100whp improvement? For the Gen 2 engine, it appears the JE pistons are either going to be 9:1 or higher than factory compression.

Should I turn the boost up? It still has stock rods. That makes me nervous.

Hey guys!

So I finally have finished my build. We strapped it to the Dyno and it was just an absolute dog.
Here is the build
Gen 2 engine from a 2008 BK 5k miles
Holley HP Ecu
Aeromotive A1000 fuel system with 1:1 fpr
E-85 fuel
MPS fuel rail
82lb injectors
JE 8.7:1 Forged pistons
Base spacer
Comp CTCTR5858 Air Cooled Turbo. T3 .63 housing with polished Compressor Housing (E-Cover)
Tial blow off valve and wastegate
3” straight pipe exhaust
Upgraded ape valve springs
I took the head in to have it milled and 5 angle valve seats.

We did a few pulls and at 4psi, it was making 125hp.
We have turned it up to 15psi and are getting 207hp. Something does not seem right at all here. Does anyone have any ideas? Do you think I put the camshaft chain on off a bit? Is there any adjustment to the timing to accommodate for the base spacer?
Any idea of where to start looking would be greatly appreciated.
View attachment 1645926
Cams were not degreed?

From what you have listed I would have to say the base spacer has to go. If you running turbo pistons on a gen 2 you don’t need the spacer. If it was a gen 1 you need the spacer for turbo pistons. If you assembled the motor you should of notice how far down that piston sat in the hole at tdc. Pull the spacer and check pvc and make sure nothing is going to touch since you shaved the head down. Also have the fuel injectors cleaned since those could be gummed up or something. I never would of turned the boost up. If it doesn’t make over 200 on 4psi or close to it you got something wrong. That’s for sure.

Well…. I am going to find out either wag. Tuner just called me and something went in the cylinder. Ground electrode melted off and now I have a dead cylinder.

Guess it gives me a reason to replace the connecting rods and throw a lot more boost at it.

It appears the JE pistons are the only boost pistons for the Gen2 people run. I only see the 9:1 option. Does anyone else run something different with a forged Gen2?

Well…. I am going to find out either wag. Tuner just called me and something went in the cylinder. Ground electrode melted off and now I have a dead cylinder.

Guess it gives me a reason to replace the connecting rods and throw a lot more boost at it.

It appears the JE pistons are the only boost pistons for the Gen2 people run. I only see the 9:1 option. Does anyone else run something different with a forged Gen2?
Hi. I have a Gen 1 stroked 2mm with a marine crank. I have JE 10 to 1 turbo pistons custom made as I lowered the top ring .080th I also have Cerrillo custom rods made for 20mm pistons pins and 13500 RPM and 1000 HP. They can make anything you need.

Ya something wrong there. Im making 267 on stock pistons no spacer plate at roughly 5 to 7 psi boost. I am also tuned on e85. which i dont suggest unless you plan on buy 5 gallon cans of fuel all the time.
There is nothing wrong with pump e85. If you are really pushing limits I'd say ya go with race e85 but for anything under like 450 wheel regular ol pump e85 is plenty. It's so so so hard to hurt a piston on e85 even if it swings from e60-e85 the tune shouldn't be to far off unless you are on the ragged edge of your AFR as it is.

Adjustable sprockets are not required or necessary. But you can get more power by adjusting your cams more aggressively. You should be seeing way more power than you are now with stock set cams and the boost you are pushing. They are not the problem.

Back