Lost My 17 Year Old Daughter Off the Back...

OHHH...so that's what it's called. Whew, for a moment there I thought I was back in church...thanks for the heads up...

It's alright JW...he's entitled...matter of fact?..i'm sittin here chuckling thinking that he and my wife should get together..they could have a real hayday on my azz...but..it still wouldn't achieve anything..leastways nuttin positive...and i held off for a week even posting about this justa get my freaking head straight enough ta make some sorta sense of this senseless thing hat just happened to my daughter and i...the whole family actually..as when one of us is hurt?..it affects us all...and here's some more thoughts and points i'd like to bring to light so this doesn't happen to anyone else who may choose to have a stupid moment like i..and here's what i come up with..

Of course it was all me..and thats true...i'm the dad..the ONE thats unquestionably responsible for all that happens within my family...good or bad...and here's some points of what led up to this disaster..

1. If you'll notice in that top 1st pic w/ rachel?..i always usta make my girls "Stick Their Hands In My Pockets" when riding w/ dad...this way?..

a. It secures them to me and the bike far better than just hanging onto the grab rail and..

more importantly?..

b. I CAN FEEL if they start slipping BEFORE they actually do..

but alas?..as my daughters aged?..the two oldest have decided it's "Not Cool" hanging onto pops and looks way cooler if they hang onto the grab rail..though they'd never admit that to me..but?..over time?..under the guise of trying to be "understanding"..and figuring the more cool and comfy my daughters feel the more they'll be wanting to ride with dad?...i let'em..just hang onto the grab rail..which i've NEVER liked or been comfy with..hands in dads pockets was a biggy and i let it slide..breaking my own safety standards there..and?...

of course the "No jacket cause it's too hot" issue was a major boneheaded move for me to allow to happen...had she been wearing a jacket?..9/10ths of her injurys would've been covered..she came off at 25-30max...like peddling a bicycle fast speeds..it was the rough texture of the shellrock surfaced road that left the jaw dropping level of abrasions that happened to her..and?..

if fact?..dragonbusa is right in the way that yes...i/we (me and marissa) always show off when we ride..it's how i like to ride and marissa likes to ride (where i just cruise w/ her sisters cause they get scared) marissa conversly loves to lean...once i scolded her for trying to lean further than her dad and when i asked her why she insists on doing so?..she responded with..i know when i make you lean further that you hafta go faster...well...this time?...i think my conservitive riding (cause neither of us were wearing jackets) threw her off her game..and she got lax...and didn't do the one job she had..HOLD THE FUDGE ON!...and i figured she musta let go to waive to someone cause i never felt her leave the bike...literally..but..we both agreed..we ain't playing the blame game with this one..we both screwed up...me moreso than her cause..well?..i'm the dad..and i let my safety standards slip...therefore?...my fault. (that would be a period)

and it hurts man...lie i said..hadta wait a week before i could even post about it...leaving shortly to take her back to the ER this afternoon..her one hand is swelling and they got the Xrays..needta get'er checked out..for safetys sake.

L8R, Bill. :cool:

Sorry to here about that dude when my son started riding with me that was a fear of mine. Even with my soon to be wife ion the back I cant tell if they are there unless the hold on to me. Hope she rev=covers fast & well.

Those that think you are stupid I wonder if they would ever admit to anything or can they not take the abuse like they dish.

don't be too hard on yourself, if your 17 year old daughter wants to hang out with her dad you must be doing something right.

Having met you and ridden with you, I'm sure you're being harder on yourself than any of the people on here could ever be. I've made mistakes and had lapses in judgement when it comes to riding, so no judgement from me. Hopefully she'll have a speedy recovery.

Bill , Sorry to hear about your Daughter !
Prayers to you both. Don't beat yourself up to bad , Things happen . Just try to learn from them and all will be well!
Hang in there!

prayers are with you and your daughter brother, no judgment no chastising just my prayers, accidents happen!!!!

AMEN to this! As a father and husband, my heart goes out to you, Bill. Brings to mind this quote: “Let him who is without sin cast the first stone."

So sorry to hear this man!
One of my biggest fears while carrying a passenger. Have been through this before. Hang on, or you don't ride. That "cool and disconnected" thing is fine on a Hardly with a big sissy bar, but not on a sportbike.
Hindsight is always 20/20. We can always see what we SHOULD have done, thought of, wore, but not always so clear before hand. 17 years old, been riding since her single digit years, and let herself get shook off the back.. sometimes even as a parent, the time comes to split the blame. Hope she (and you) heal well, with no permanent scars.
As for the posters among us who are obviously "without sin", well.. I'll just bite my typing fingers and go on.

Im not going to say anything, You know you messed up and we know it wont happen again, You didnt have to post this up but you did, It makes us all a little more aware of what COULD happen.

Hope she heals quickly,

Let us all remember we as humans are born sinners and the only perfect man to ever walk the earth died for those sins. Sins of the past and sins of the future.
If your not working tomorrow Bill I'll cruise up as it seems you could use a friend and a few beers to help bring the level down a bit .

I'm sorry to hear about this Bill. :(

Prayers out to you and your daughter, may she recover quickly.

Dang Jinx so very sorry to hear! Best wishes for a full recovery for your daughter and good thoughts to you both!!

We all make bad decisions from time to time and some pay a heavy price for those decisions. Whether it be riding with out gear, a run into triple digits, popping a wheelie or dragging knees and other parts all on public roads are not the best of choices and can come with a price. Whether all here will admit to it or not we have all at one time or another made dumb decisions. Take care of yours and learn from your mistakes and forget all else!!!

Praying for a fast recovery. 17, she's about old enough to start out slow on her own scoot eh? Stuff always seems to happen on the ONE time that we don't do what we normally do. Don't let the smack talkers think you're bad or anything, everyone has a lapse every now and then. no one's perfect.

Hey bro, You know where you went wrong. I am sorry this happened. My daughter is eight and she ask to go riding all the time. I don't take her cause I have no gear for her. It amazes me how people soon forget about the mistakes they made and have the nerve to criticize others. Before you remove the thorn from your brothers eye, remove the plank from your eye.
Us sane people here support you Jinkster. I pray for a fast recovery for her and you. Don't allow this to effect the quality time you have to spend with your other two girls riding with you bro.:bowdown:

Back