Lessons Learned?

I know that I am new to all of this and just want to say thanks to all the people who done the planning and execution! Great Job guys and gals!
bowdown.gif
I do have two things in that list and one biggie!
#4 Mods. A Gel Seat and Cruise control! The butt and hand hurts.
guns.gif

The Biggie!
#7 Place to Stay. The Phillips is great but everyone cannot stay there. The traveling to and from the center of all activities, especially at night when drinking Hooch, is not good. Also when plans change there is no way to let everyone that is not there know what is going on, just like with the shoot! The Bash is getting too big for the Phillips!
Other than that it was great and has to be some of the best people in the motorcycling community!
beerchug.gif

Thanks to all!

Just to add something to the list...

I would like a discussion about Safety Goals for the group.  Lets make it a Goal to have an uneventful BASH.  ZERO get offs... That's the goal.  We need to seriously talk about it and live it.  If we keep having these shots on goal, one of these days the ball is going to the back of the net (analogy from my soccer days.  In other words its just a matter of time until you have a serious serious casualty.

I was a shot on goal (Spring Bash 2007), I ran out of talent and throw my bike in the ditch, I wasn't hurt, but it wasn't fun either.

I don't want to see anyone get hurt at these events, we can all have fun and do it safely.  But we have to talk about it, we have to internalize it, we have to live it.

Ok, I will get off my soapbox now...
Very wise suggestion Ted
thumb_up.gif

I also suggest breaking the groups up into much smaller groups. Say something like 5-6 bikes. Space the groups out about 15-30 minutes apart if we plan to do the same routes, match the skill level and riding style up. Yes, it's a little bit of work, but it's worth not hurting anyone.

And if you are a truely novice ride, please let us know. I am by far no expert but I know a little bit that I would be happy to pass on to survive. Heck, I will even give you a personal tour, but we have to know who you are. So please help us, help you and we will be that much better in the long run...

No jokes this time around...

HONESTLY, I say we have the maintenance on the Busas done on a certain day, or only between this time and that...I watched Shawn and Omar work on bike after bike after bike (including mine) and I really wished they'd had more down time to talk with everyone, to ride, to just hang out...I don't even know that they ever ate anything
winkold.gif

So, next year, maintenance that can be done pre-Bash should be. I was guilty of not doing this myself, but vman offered up his shop to get my new tire mounted and I took him up on it mainly to avoid overtaxing our guys at Phillips. Things like syncing the throttlebodies will likely go on because it's something most don't know how to do or don't have equipment for, and it saves us all a ton of money having it done by our own. With maintenance like that, we could feasibly have an assembly line, and I'll help get the bikes prepped for maintenance, hand 'em over and then button them back up once they're done. I think it would go more quickly and if we're going to utilize the expertise at the Bash, we need to remember that these guys probably want to go ride and hang out with others too...they love helping out and gladly do so, I know that. I would just like to see these guys get more down time like the rest of us are instead of hovering over bikes the entire time.

I want to work toward not taking up their time quite as much next year. Huge thanks for all of their hard work. It is very much appreciated.
bowdown.gif

No jokes this time around...

HONESTLY, I say we have the maintenance on the Busas done on a certain day, or only between this time and that...I watched Shawn and Omar work on bike after bike after bike (including mine) and I really wished they'd had more down time to talk with everyone, to ride, to just hang out...I don't even know that they ever ate anything
winkold.gif

So, next year, maintenance that can be done pre-Bash should be.  I was guilty of not doing this myself, but vman offered up his shop to get my new tire mounted and I took him up on it mainly to avoid overtaxing our guys at Phillips.  Things like syncing the throttlebodies will likely go on because it's something most don't know how to do or don't have equipment for, and it saves us all a ton of money having it done by our own.  With maintenance like that, we could feasibly have an assembly line, and I'll help get the bikes prepped for maintenance, hand 'em over and then button them back up once they're done.  I think it would go more quickly and if we're going to utilize the expertise at the Bash, we need to remember that these guys probably want to go ride and hang out with others too...they love helping out and gladly do so, I know that.  I would just like to see these guys get more down time like the rest of us are instead of hovering over bikes the entire time.

I want to work toward not taking up their time quite as much next year.  Huge thanks for all of their hard work.  It is very much appreciated.  
bowdown.gif
I agree... I think all maintenance that could be done pre BASH should be done pre BASH. Even if it's a few dollars changing tires, it's better than spending vacation/riding time getting the choirs down.

I try to bring spare parts and stuff with me, just in case someone has a problem. It's different doing a repair do to mechanical failure or a get off.

But somethings are not too feasbile like the carb sync.

1. What did you bring that you really didn't need?nothin come rain gear but didnt need it very much
2. What didn't you bring that you really wish you would have?more cashola
3. What maintenance would you have done before coming out?checked my box mod
4. Any mods (comfort/performance) did you wish you had done?valve,forks
5. How could the Photo Shoot have been better?an organized ride with everyone to the crot and have somone get all of us in onepic
6. How could the raffles have been better?if i won the hid's
7. Where would you stay for the next bash and why?phillips same room same bat channel
8. The Dragon, Cherohola, Blood Mt, etc. Which is the better ride? Skill level? you know skill level is determined by the person i hate corners and everyone seen me do ok
9. Souveniers? Any that you wish you would have snagged?a bash shirt and maybe one from the dragon i dint buy any
10. Riding to and from; pros/cons?it is amazing and until you try it you have no idea
11. Open or closed trailer?depends what you got if you have a chalk closed is fine if you dont open
12. Shirts, hats, pins, etc - what makes the bst mementos shirts beanies anything can mementos as long as their is a story behind it hell i have a rock i brought home

ok the meeting people is not hard all you have to do is swallow that lump in your throat and say hi it is easy for me as everyone seen yes jules hooch does help hahaha

the pits i think maybe that it could be split there are alot of us that know how to do alot of this stuff like the general things oil changes brakes so if you can do that while someone else is doing yours it cuts the time in half

like the pre ride stuff chain loose bolts stuff like that close to everyone brought that stuff with them and you know all you have to do is speak up i know i offered my chain lube to alot of people they said no i brought some but that is what this is about HELPING

another thing maybe a list of what stock parts that people brought so your not racking your brain to figure it out.
extra straps....rags tools

1.  What did you bring that you really didn't need?nothin come rain gear but didnt need it very much
2.  What didn't you bring that you really wish you would have?more cashola
3.  What maintenance would you have done before coming out?checked my box mod
4.  Any mods (comfort/performance) did you wish you had done?valve,forks
5.  How could the Photo Shoot have been better?an organized ride with everyone to the crot and have somone get all of us in onepic
6.  How could the raffles have been better?if i won the hid's
7.  Where would you stay for the next bash and why?phillips same room same bat channel
8.  The Dragon, Cherohola, Blood Mt, etc.  Which is the better ride? Skill level? you know skill level is determined by the person i hate corners and everyone seen me do ok
9.  Souveniers?  Any that you wish you would have snagged?a bash shirt and maybe one from the dragon i dint buy any
10. Riding to and from; pros/cons?it is amazing and until you try it you have no idea
11. Open or closed trailer?depends what you got if you have a chalk closed is fine if you dont  open
12. Shirts, hats, pins, etc - what makes the bst mementos shirts beanies anything can mementos as long as their is a story behind it hell i have a rock i brought home

ok the meeting people is not hard all you have to do is swallow that lump in your throat and say hi  it is easy for me as everyone seen yes jules hooch does help hahaha

the pits  i think maybe  that  it could be split there are alot of us that know how to do alot of this stuff  like the general things oil changes brakes  so if  you can do that while someone else is doing yours it cuts the time in half

like the pre ride stuff chain loose bolts stuff like that  close to everyone brought that stuff with them  and you know all you have to do is speak up  i know i offered my chain lube to alot of people they said no i brought some but that is what this is about HELPING

another thing maybe a list of what stock parts that people brought so your not racking your brain to figure it out.
extra straps....rags tools
Chris,
This brings up a great point; a couple of years ago, I floated the idea of some standing inventory; last year we had a collection box for parts. Maybe it is time to bring it up again.

Windscreens, mirrors, inners, wheels, bar ends, turn signal lenses, rear sets, pegs... all fairly common items needed when someone has an accident. Maybe we should try to build up a few of these items to pre-stage at the different meet and greets.

Identify a person who is responsible and can help with repairs; then we send them the stuff to dole out as required.

yeah i think it would be a great idea alot easier first come first serve alot easier then they can be helpng on that side and not hounding the wrenchers for everything it would cut down time spent

Okay,
For consideration:
1.  What did you bring that you really didn't need?
2.  What didn't you bring that you really wish you would have?
3.  What maintenance would you have done before coming out?
4.  Any mods (comfort/performance) did you wish you had done?
5.  How could the Photo Shoot have been better?
6.  How could the raffles have been better?
7.  Where would you stay for the next bash and why?
8.  The Dragon, Cherohola, Blood Mt, etc.  Which is the better ride? Skill level?
9.  Souveniers?  Any that you wish you would have snagged?
10. Riding to and from; pros/cons?
11. Open or closed trailer?
12. Shirts, hats, pins, etc - what makes the bst mementos?

These are just a few general questions for the members, new and old so that we might all be a little better prepared for the next time out.  What do you all think?  Please feel free to add to the questions if there is something that I missed.

MCM
1.) Brought just enough.
2.) Nothing. I really don't have a whole lot.
3.) I pretty much covered everything. You saw that pics on the OMFG thread!
Actually, changing out my chain. Ted was supposed to bring his tool so I could get it done at the bash, but he had a mishap with his truck and had to leave his tool which was okay with me. I'm glad he made it to the bash!
4.) I wish I would've done my seat a long time ago. I slip around a lot on my seat and after seeing everyones Tobins, I'm getting mine done. The risers were an excellent choice though. It made the long ride through the skyway comfortable.
5.) BACK UP PLAN! We didn't waste time figuring out where to have it because it was raining at the dam so that was a good idea to have it at the high school. The photo shoot was good. Organizing into colors is a good idea.
6. Any raffle where members donate is awesome. All of the selections, big and small, were great memorabilia for an awesome time. I was excited to win something! My MAC tool kit! Keeping the excitement up with raffling off t-shirts and hats then raffling the big stuff at the end: HID kit and stands, should stay the same.
7. I want to stay with the group where the party's at. It makes for easier mingling and getting to know people better and just in case of intoxication, I don't want to have to walk in an unfamiliar place at night; even though I had my big bad body guard with me.
8. The Cherohala was good for a first time curve rider. I'm new to curve riding, especially with a huge, heavy bike. I've only been around some of the only curves in Florida once and that was last year. The skyway prepared me for the Dragon. I didn't make it to Blood MT. this time but I would say ride the Skyway first.
9.) I got my .oRg pin and sweatshirt, got my dragon stickers and tshirt so that was all I needed! I would say don't leave without one or the other.
10.) If I were to ride, I would make sure I looked ahead for weather. Driving was the best option. Going through ATL wasn't too, too bad.
11.) We had an open trailer but I would like aclosed trailer. You can fit more in there like gear, helmets so that the car isn't packed!
12.) Sweatshirt! I wear it proudly!

+1 with what Michelle said also. I think there needs to be a "Tech Day" organized along with the rides to give the mechanics more down time. Plus, the riders can be more focused on making it a learning experience with their bikes when they're helping to work on them.

+1 with what Ted said. I decided even before Rocky and I got there that I was going to be in the very back of the group for the Hooters Run or any other group ride I wanted to go on. I think dividing the rides into smaller groups, possibly even by skill/ experience level is a good idea. I was doing about 30 and below through the first part of the skyway and I know I don't want to be the person to slow anyone down that wants to haul through the turns that has more experience. It makes me nervous when someone's riding my ass because they want to go faster and I don't want to feel left behind either. I think it makes for a better riding experience.

The biggest lesson I learned was that I should always pack as if I might have to ride the bike to or from the destination from home!

Aww, it's okay, I could have ridden back with John and Mike if I'd really wanted to. It was a good adventure, and now I can say I rode mine ya know?! It really wasn't THAT bad.

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
5.) BACK UP PLAN! We didn't waste time figuring out where to have it because it was raining at the dam so that was a good idea to have it at the high school. The photo shoot was good. Organizing into colors is a good idea.[/quote]
+1

Ted about skills and group sizes... also very good idea.. I would tend to have you lead a group myself, you stay well within your skills and like a number of other riders I have followed, inspire confidence by allowing people to follow a solid line without having to commit outside their skills..

WhiteLE on drinks.. We had thought about that (providing) but they take up so much room that with the hundreds of pounds of food we brought already, it was pretty impractical to try and supply ice/coolers/variety.. I do think we could see about water however...

I would like to hear about the food and variety... I can get a total on what we used but we did go through around 30lbs of marinated chicken, another 30lbs of marinated beef, 30 lbs of marinated sirloin steak, 15 or so pounds of kielbasa, 3 gallons of stew, 40 or so pounds of salads , Braut burgers I do not know but I would not be surprised if that was not 15 - 25 pounds as well..

Anything others might think we should have more or less of?

Me? more TP...... a few will not get this yet, but I can assure you that story will break in the next day or 2 about the "TP Crew"

I want to know where the beef tips went!?!! Those were so good!

Next time maybe we cna all pitch in for food before hand and someone with a Sams Club or Costco (I have one) membership can get the meat discounted.

flamethrowingsmiley.gif
AM -->
Grandevil @ Apr. 29 2008 said:
1393427[/ATTACH] AM]
I want to know where the beef tips went!?!! Those were so good!

Next time maybe we cna all pitch in for food before hand and someone with a Sams Club or Costco (I have one) membership can get the meat discounted.
Remember to only pack what you can fit in your backpack!!!!
boxing.gif

flamethrowingsmiley.gif

Okay,
For consideration:
1. What did you bring that you really didn't need?CLOTHING OVER PACKED
2. What didn't you bring that you really wish you would have?RAIN GEAR
3. What maintenance would you have done before coming out?ALL DONE PRE-BASH
4. Any mods (comfort/performance) did you wish you had done?DID HID UPGRADE AT BASH SATURDAY NIGHT THANKS GIXXERHP.
5. How could the Photo Shoot have been better?GOOD PLANNING ON THE SCHOOL
6. How could the raffles have been better?I WON THE TIRES WOO WOO!!!
7. Where would you stay for the next bash and why?PHILLIPS
8. The Dragon, Cherohola, Blood Mt, etc. Which is the better ride? Skill level? DRAGON 6-7 MIN ON SKILL LEVEL, CHEROHOLA 4-5 SKILL LEVEL AT SLOWER SPPEDS
9. Souveniers? Any that you wish you would have snagged?SHIRTS
10. Riding to and from; pros/cons?N/A
11. Open or closed trailer?CLOSED
12. Shirts, hats, pins, etc - what makes the bst mementos?GOT A PIN
Additional questions:
a) What is a good number of riders for a group? Separate out by Skyway, Dragon, Thunder Mountain, etc.GROUPS OF 8 TO 10 WITH A 7 TO 8 BIKE LINKS BETWEEN
b) How do we 'measure' the skill of a rider so we can group properly?TYPE OF RIDING AND YEARS RIDING
c) Would you donate to the org for the services provided for free?YES (throttle syncing, tires, etc)? My answer: Yes, there should be a small donation to the org.
d) How can we get the members to mingle with each other? Especially the first timers who do not know everyone?OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND SPEAK EVERYONE IS PRETTY OUT GOING AND WILL TALK BACK TO YOU.(I DIDNT SEE ANYONE BITING.)
e) Food was abundant, but beverages (even just water or sodas) seemed hard to come by. I suppose I could have just hopped on the Busa and got some and I'm just complaining.... I ATE VERY WELL THANKS FOR EVERYBODY INVOLVED FOR THE FOOD, AND, I BUMMED A DRINK FOR MC MUSTANG, THANKS SHAWN.

WhiteLE on drinks.. We had thought about that (providing) but they take up so much room that with the hundreds of pounds of food we brought already, it was pretty impractical to try and supply ice/coolers/variety.. I do think we could see about water however...
Randy - I'm not suggesting the org buy drinks - I think that is too much to ask!
winkold.gif

However maybe a central place for drink storage. I'm sure we could procure some drinks (even in a dry county) and put them in a cooler to share. Thanks to the person who offered water/gatorade around the fire pit. It hit the spot!

We did make a run to Andrews for a nightcap. Had to be creative, but was able to bring some suds back
thumb_up.gif

IMG_0921_800x600.JPG

Back