LCD Screen

I say pop off the mirrors blast out the 4in.
section of the mirror where your shoulders
would be and mount it inside the housing.
wire it up and Bam best of both worlds. maybe

Here is mine.

DSC05407.JPG

How good is the picture on a bright sunny day? Meaning is the screen sunlight viewable?

Pull up a pic of the bike that belongs to 05BusaLe. My bike is set up just like his. Double mount stem stand, GPS on one side, and camera on the other. I got mine at Wally-World. Yea the picture isn't the greatest in the world, but for $100, you cant beat it.

measure your mirror lense and buy a lcd or tft screen you feel will fit (I don't remember sizes anymore)

cover the glass with masking tape

hit the center of the glass with the sharp end of a ball peen hammer(do both sides)

take these glass templates to a glass and mirror shop. Have them cut similar thickness "one way security mirrored glass" to size and shape of the templates you brought them.

You will need to drill the bottom of the mirror housing at the ball and the base of the mirror and through your faring and bracket to run the wires

I always removed the screens from the housings and siliconed them to the glass *in most cases it will leave a visible line though if you look hard enough. You can lessen the line by painting the area around the screen black.*

glass should pop back into the housings if they are cut properly and you didn't soften the plastic by heating it.

unlike the guys who reuse their stock glass with the backing removed, this method will have a 99% OEM appearance with the screens off.

My buddy thought about putting a small, high quality LCD monitor in one of his mirrors. But he would definately use a blackout panel in place of the surrounding mirror. It might be a good idea if he were to devise some kind of "eye brow" over the Mirror face as well. He is also considering putting a GPS monitor (if he can find one small enough) in the other mirror. I think they would be awesome mods.

I was wondering about rain too?I think in heavy rain with water on your helmet it woudl be hard to see the screen, especially if it has water on it.

Would be really nice if you could have an onboard computer use gps, calculate your speed, the using the video feeds from the rear view cameras, determine if anyone is accelerating past traffic to catch up to you/pass you.

You could have a bike coming up on you and you'd know in advance so you can drop to fourth and put him in his place before he even thought you knew he was coming.

Another benefit would be for example....you're gunning it, 110 on the freeway, the onboard computer would suspect that all cars should be "fading in the distance" but one car's coming up fast...Next thing you see your dashboard flash to get your attention, you look down and it's a LEO coming up behind you attempting to pace your speed....you get the alert well ahead of time and begin to slow down. :D

2 problems with what I am seeing....

the 7" will be shining in his face at night and if the wind hits it wrong at real speeds I bet it will result in damage. Neat for a show bike but bad in reality...and let's not even begin to mention water and rain exposure

Most states require mirrors...mirrors. Directly replacing the mirror glass with a screen negates the term....if stopped, expect a ticket.

Back