Layoffs WTF?

00busaTX

aegri somnia, and proud member of P. E. A.
Donating Member
Registered
Just when you think everything is ok, it turns bad. I came into work this morning and the guy that I work with is not here. His mother died on Sunday and he is getting ready to go to Florida for the funeral so I figure he got a flight out.... wrong. They did layoffs and nailed a group of people that I work with including him.

Thankfully I am still at work surfing the org.

I hate seeing people lose their jobs, especially people that do not deserve it.

Ok, done rant. really, I am done. over

guns.gif

"We believe when you create a machine to do the work of a man, you take something away from the man."
- Star Trek: Insurrection movie

We are physical beings.... we need physical work. Computers are negating that. Companies no longer value human beings. In the past, they HAD TO because there was no other way to get things done. Now, there are other ways... and look what it is doing to us.

"We believe when you create a machine to do the work of a man, you take something away from the man."
- Star Trek:  Insurrection  movie

We are physical beings.... we need physical work.  Computers are negating that.  Companies no longer value human beings.  In the past, they HAD TO because there was no other way to get things done.  Now, there are other ways... and look what it is doing to us.
Understood.....examples, if the computers are down at a store they cannot sell you anything........, if the computer is down at work we cannot process paper work.

People are growing in numbers but becoming less useful.

sorry to hear, at least you're ok. I work as a contractor at a manufacturing plant, the "L" word is always in our minds, especially when it slows down( like now) and they're bringing in more efficient machines.

I live here in "KODAK" town (Rochester, NY). Over the years, Kodak has gone from the largest employer in the area, to the third largest. Lots of hard working, family types of people have lost their jobs. Call it poor managment, poor marketing, cheap overseas labor, whatever. In the end, these folks have had their total lives turned upside down due to job losses that was not of their doing. A really sad situation!

We took a 10 hr cut a week for two months so nobody gets laid off. I work at a car dealership and its been really slow. It is really starting to suck. Hoping spring comes around and people start to spend some money...

I live here in "KODAK" town (Rochester, NY).  Over the years, Kodak has gone from the largest employer in the area, to the third largest.  Lots of hard working, family types of people have lost their jobs.  Call it poor managment, poor marketing, cheap overseas labor, whatever.  In the end, these folks have had their total lives turned upside down due to job losses that was not of their doing.  A really sad situation!
The problem with Kodak is the digital market has replaced film. I worked for them and the place I worked at close in 2004.

I live here in "KODAK" town (Rochester, NY). Over the years, Kodak has gone from the largest employer in the area, to the third largest. Lots of hard working, family types of people have lost their jobs. Call it poor managment, poor marketing, cheap overseas labor, whatever. In the end, these folks have had their total lives turned upside down due to job losses that was not of their doing. A really sad situation!
The problem with Kodak is the digital market has replaced film. I worked for them and the place I worked at close in 2004.
Kodak didn't move quick enough to compete with foreign competition. Though they've pretty much had a monopoly for selling their film products in US stores for decades, they still didn't innovate their product line in time.
banghead.gif

Just ask Detroit's big 3 about this ...

deadhorse.gif

Sorry to hear about the lay-offs. Seems the governments "plan" to "kickstart" the economy isn't working. I know the rebates aren't out yet, but they were trying to build people up so they would go ahead and start spending.

I know there are a HELL of alot worse countries than the US, but our government SUCKS!

Sending our troops to get killed for a country that will never stop killing...hmmm, go figure!

I don't like it but I will support our government though, because that is the American thing to do...AND just to set things straight...I support ALL of our troops and hope that they are able to come home soon to be with thier families!! This statement was not aimed at them!

We took a 10 hr cut a week for two months so nobody gets laid off.  I work at a car dealership and its been really slow.  It is really starting to suck.  Hoping spring comes around and people start to spend some money...
Kind of the same here....our plant is shutting down 1 week out of every month ( we get unemployment ) ....versus laying off an entire crew. Or gov. needs to face it, the country is in another recession.
sad.gif

Man I hate to hear of anyone getting laid off but hopefully things will turn around
for all involved and they find their silver lining.

Been there...tough road coming back, but all for the better in the long run.

We can thank Walwart for a ton of layoff. used to be(when old Sam Walton owned Walmart they carried almost ALL american stuff). You are hard pressed to find anything that is not made in China now.
THAT SUX
Sorry to hear of your layoffs, I think it affects us all.
Oh well, it will be warm soon and we will be able to hop on our bikes and throw our troubles to the wind.(things always seem better after a good ride, don't they)

IMG_6991_2__resized__191_kb.jpg

We can thank Walmart for a ton of layoff. used to be(when old Sam Walton owned Walmart they carried almost ALL American stuff). You are hard pressed to find anything that is not made in China now.
THAT SUX
Sorry to hear of your layoffs, I think it affects us all.
Oh well, it will be warm soon and we will be able to hop on our bikes and throw our troubles to the wind.(things always seem better after a good ride, don't they)

IMG_6991_2__resized__191_kb.jpg

Back