just dont know what to do. need opinions

its a tuff one thats for sure. that 5k included alien head exhaust too though. appreciate the ideas rolling in:bowdown:

Being WAY too rational here... and not knowing your current financial situation... (though your prolly not LOADED, or the bike would be paid for) I would keep er' and get it all nice and paid off... who knows what the economy will do?!?!?!?! just my .02... Rational=boring I know:laugh:

I Miss my Gen-1.........it had Personality............the 08 is Faster and Smoother but the Gen-1 was set up for my Wieght and Riding Style :dunno:

I wish I could have kept them Both :shocked:

Such good opinions all! My suggestion is that if you keep the Gen I, are a good/hard rider (or just loves to have awesome equipment) then spend some of that 5k on suspension, wheels, brakes and other performance enhancing stuff in addition to the top end of the motor. Your bike can be made much lighter and also to handle much better, that will result in an incredibly satisfying motorcycle! Good luck in whatever you end up doing.
Raydog

I Miss my Gen-1.........it had Personality............the 08 is Faster and Smoother but the Gen-1 was set up for my Wieght and Riding Style :dunno:

I wish I could have kept them Both :shocked:

Robert, you have "multiple bikeitis"! Doyle

Avoid Carpenter at all costs. They'll take your money and not stand behind their work. I've seen this first hand. No BS.

If you own the 06 and like it,I would spend the 2g's on the motor.It will be cheaper in the long run.Who know's what is going to happen with the economy and job's.

rational decisions and hayabusa do not go hand in hand...:leseratte:

This pretty well sums up the whole experience. :laugh:

I would not invest any more coin in the Gen 1. Get it paid for, continue to make the payment to your savings account. Wait till you have enough for a hefty down payment or the full amount for a Gen 2 or 3. (yea they will be here someday)
You will never recoup the money invested in the Gen 1. Hmm... I think this is the name of the game.
Give it some time and think it through some more, deep down you want a Gen 2 or you would not be wrestling with the decision. :banghead: Gen 1 owners will tell you to keep the Gen 1, Gen 2 owners will tell you to upgrade to the G2.

One thing I was thinking of was this. I keep my bike in top shape. I take very good care of her as most here do with their own bikes. Does anyone think there would be any issues with the mileage on it? I mean 33k miles headed into the new season and all. I know that the motor is tough but thats a lot of seat time.
I know that it doesnt make a lot of sense to do more motor work on a bike that is that fast anyway. And like already said. were am i gonna do that kinda speed anyway.. all of this is true. but im like Tim Taylor....MORE POWER>>>ARGH ARGH ARGH. lol anyway. I would be more inlined to do the motor work if I could be assured to get closer to the 220 to 230hp levels. I am gonna have to look into this more. Im not very smart when it comes to engine stuff. I couldnt even pass the small engine class in shop in highschool when you take apart a lawn mower engine...lol... I think that if I couldnt get close to that hp then I would just opt out of the idea altogether. I love the idea of turbo but I have read alot of stuff here about it and it sounds way to finicky for someone like me to mess with. besides i dont know that it would be the best for me since i like going down to the dragon several times each year. not sure about ride ability with a turbo in the curves burning up the knee pucks...Anyway I see now more than ever there is much to consider...

Avoid Carpenter at all costs. They'll take your money and not stand behind their work. I've seen this first hand. No BS.

might want to elaborate on this one...many local guys here would say nothign but good things about Carpenter.

He builds race engines....they do eventually break.

in reality, if you plan to dump $5k..the turbo kits win...more power and better investment...better risk potential

if you gernade a big bore...you have nothing.

if you blow a motor with a turbo kit....sell the turbo and buy a used motor. Might be a stock bike once again, but at least you don't lose your entire investment.

I had 5 grand and I stuck in into SUSPENSION upgrades, and left the motor alone!!!!

How wacked is that? :cookoo:

cheers
ken

I had 5 grand and I stuck in into SUSPENSION upgrades, and left the motor alone!!!!

How wacked is that? :cookoo:

cheers
ken

Not whacked at all! That shows a deep understanding/relationship with your bike. I am all for increasing power in any engine....I think it just has to occur concurrently with chassis upgrades. When I ride bone stock Busas, it reminds me how wonderfully the Hayabusa responds to quality upgrades. AND, (for me) think that throwing 20-50 more HP into an otherwise stock bike....is the wrong path. Raydog

One thing I was thinking of was this. I keep my bike in top shape. I take very good care of her as most here do with their own bikes. Does anyone think there would be any issues with the mileage on it? I mean 33k miles headed into the new season and all. I know that the motor is tough but thats a lot of seat time.
I know that it doesnt make a lot of sense to do more motor work on a bike that is that fast anyway. And like already said. were am i gonna do that kinda speed anyway.. all of this is true. but im like Tim Taylor....MORE POWER>>>ARGH ARGH ARGH. lol anyway. I would be more inlined to do the motor work if I could be assured to get closer to the 220 to 230hp levels. I am gonna have to look into this more. Im not very smart when it comes to engine stuff. I couldnt even pass the small engine class in shop in highschool when you take apart a lawn mower engine...lol... I think that if I couldnt get close to that hp then I would just opt out of the idea altogether. I love the idea of turbo but I have read alot of stuff here about it and it sounds way to finicky for someone like me to mess with. besides i dont know that it would be the best for me since i like going down to the dragon several times each year. not sure about ride ability with a turbo in the curves burning up the knee pucks...Anyway I see now more than ever there is much to consider...
Unfortunately ther's alot of mis-information spread around by folks who have never even owned or ridden a turbo bike :banghead: If you get a quality stage 1 kit with good parts, and a good supplied map from a good company, AND LEAVE THE BOOST ALONE (thats the crucial part :laugh: ) the bike will run just like stock forever....except for TONS more power :thumbsup: And a stage one turbo busa will corner and deliver the power just like a stocker........as much or as little as you twist the throttle. Since its a big motor that will have the stock compression, it'll behave just like the stocker till the boost comes on......which will be a smooth, progressive increase. These aint you're granpappies turbo kits anymore ;)
The reason guys have probs with turbo's is because they always want more boost (I guess 250 rwhp isn't enough? :banghead: ), so they end up pushing the motor till it goes boom. If you just want a ridiculously fast streetbike, a stage 1 is very cost effective and reliable. If you want to go stage 2 or 3 and plan on racing, be sure and have LOTS of money set aside......
I ran my last turbo bike for over 12k miles on the street with no probs whatsoever. And I sold it running perfectly :thumbsup: The trick was once I set it up, I LEFT IT ALONE :thumbsup: :beerchug:
One nice thing about a turbo kit is that you could easily take it off and transfer it to a new genII busa no prob :laugh: Either way its much easier to pull a turbo kit and re-use, or sell seperate, than pull motor work ;)

Big Red, I like your description of turbo life! Do you think a turbo conversion would be compatible with sport touring....long mileage type rides?(and I refer to a mild conversion). Also, a turbo would probably require me to get a dedicated track bike...cause it wouldn't lend itself to track use, right? Thanks, Raydog

Big Red, I like your description of turbo life! Do you think a turbo conversion would be compatible with sport touring....long mileage type rides?(and I refer to a mild conversion). Also, a turbo would probably require me to get a dedicated track bike...cause it wouldn't lend itself to track use, right? Thanks, Raydog

Tempting isn't? A sport touring turbo busa.

cheers
ken

Back