interesting discussion from another board

what's in a name that which we call a hog by any other name would smell as sweet

my favorite that gives me a chuckle is the rednecks who piss and moan about toyota being in NA$CAR now. There are 4 vehicles represented in NA$CAR: the Chevy Impala, the Dodge Charger, the Ford Fusion, and the Toyota Camry.

Chevy Impala: Built in Canada
Dodge Charger: Built in Canada
Ford Fusion: Built in Mexico
Toyota Camry: Built in Kentucky

So tell me again, which of these is the foreign car?

Good point.

I work on American cars and trucks every day and I look at the parts I replace and where they are made. GUESS WHAT, I haven't seen one made in the USA in YEARS. Mexico, Indonesia, India, China, Korea,. Get the picture,. I have no problem with Harleys but with the people that think they are completely made in the USA. I don't think so. I'll stick to my Busa and when I can afford the price, I'll buy a Harley To sit BESIDE my Busa. Nah, Probably a Honda.:thumbsup:

my favorite that gives me a chuckle is the rednecks who piss and moan about toyota being in NA$CAR now. There are 4 vehicles represented in NA$CAR: the Chevy Impala, the Dodge Charger, the Ford Fusion, and the Toyota Camry.

Chevy Impala: Built in Canada
Dodge Charger: Built in Canada
Ford Fusion: Built in Mexico
Toyota Camry: Built in Kentucky

So tell me again, which of these is the foreign car?
Did your homework didn't you Dude.:thumbsup:

Well, I bought mine new. I've said many times that if an American company built the bike that I wanted, I'd be the first in line to buy one.

Well the way I see it I will always go with the best product 1st, since some American companies are having there cars built over seas, cause it's cheaper an then shipping it back here an telling you to buy American and visa versa I believe a lot of so called imports are built in factory's right here. :laugh:

I wouldn't trade my Busa for a Buell, an one day I would like to own a Goldwing only cause I have seen my friends problems with their Harleys........:laugh:

Nissan supports over 330,000 US residents. That's a bit more than a few in my eyes. How many jobs does Harley support?

My Titan is 63% all American made. How many other trucks can claim that high of a percentage?

Wait for the vrod and sporster guys start saying how much faster they're american bikes are. All I work around are a bunch of rednecks with harley tattoos. Every time I mention I got a suzuki I get a ton of shid. A lot of people that really ride and enjoy they're bikes could care less though.
On the last job I was on a guy with a roadking said he would "smoke me" any way I wanted to race. Just had to agree.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cause they are faster, Duh:rofl:

I have a fun story to share.

I went out for a ride with my pops earlier this year. We stop to re-fuel and when my dad is coming out from inside, he hears a dad say to his son, "look at that jap crap sitting next to that Harley...a REAL bike."

I see my dad with a smile on his face when he walks back to our bikes and he tells me the story. The funny part is that my dad rides a Yamaha RoadStar:laugh:

I'm not one to really argue over this subject, but this usually gives people a chuckle. Nowadays, I don't think there are too many things that are truly ONLY MADE IN AMERICA.
Thank you Val, I was going to say; people just don't realize how many Japanese parts are on a Harley.:laugh:

Last edited:

I went out for a ride with my pops earlier this year. We stop to re-fuel and when my dad is coming out from inside, he hears a dad say to his son, "look at that jap crap sitting next to that Harley...a REAL bike."

I see my dad with a smile on his face when he walks back to our bikes and he tells me the story. The funny part is that my dad rides a Yamaha RoadStar:laugh:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I get the cold shoulder by the Wanna Be HD riders. You know, the weekend warriors. The hardcore riders I have met while riding both my Busa or FJR have enough respect to return a wave. I had a group in Colorado with 1%er patches on their jackets compliment me and my Busa. I'm not sure if it was the Busa or the fact that I rode it from WA in race leathers that got the most attention. I was more than happy to return the respect.

Nissan supports over 330,000 US residents. That's a bit more than a few in my eyes. How many jobs does Harley support?

My Titan is 63% all American made. How many other trucks can claim that high of a percentage?

I think the Toyota Tundra is in about the same range as that. I think they build the titan in TN, dont they? They build the Tundra here in Indiana, and Nissan builds a TON of vehicles in TN. Honda builds a lot of their cars in Ohio, BMW SUVs and Z4s are built in SC, the mercedes SUV is built in Alabama....

The more you look at things, the more the line blurs. Personally, I KNOW the money goes back to Japan. I get it. But, if the car is assembled/built here, its still a blue collar AMERICAN worker that I am supporting. Thats MY bottom line.

Good thread. Interesting reading. ??? As for the Harley busa thing i don't understand.
Apples to Apples....

Number one selling "Amercan Pony Car" Camero.... is made in Canada..

:rofl::rofl:

A co-worker of mine rode a Yamaha Roadstar for years. When asked why he didn't get a Harley, he always said, "I would never ride one of those over-priced pieces of crap." As time went on, however, he ended up buying an Electra Glide. One day recently I saw him on the road and immediately recognized him. I waved at him and he kept going. I asked him later why he didn't wave back and he said, "I don't wave at POS Jap bikes." He confirmed every suspicion I'd ever had about most Harley riders. They're riding a status symbol and could care less about the brotherhood that comes with the freedom of taking on this planet on 2 wheels.

A co-worker of mine rode a Yamaha Roadstar for years. When asked why he didn't get a Harley, he always said, "I would never ride one of those over-priced pieces of crap." As time went on, however, he ended up buying an Electra Glide. One day recently I saw him on the road and immediately recognized him. I waved at him and he kept going. I asked him later why he didn't wave back and he said, "I don't wave at POS Jap bikes." He confirmed every suspicion I'd ever had about most Harley riders. They're riding a status symbol and could care less about the brotherhood that comes with the freedom of taking on this planet on 2 wheels.
Amazing how a motorcycle can change a person's attitude aint it.

I guess I can' t really talk too much about non-U.S. built vehicles. My Camaro was built in Canada. I' ve always been a Chevy fan, but love American high-performance vehicles. Liked them for their design and their capabilities. Unlike 40 years ago, they aren' t all "Made In The USA." As mentioned, you' ve got Americans in Alabama building Mercedes vehicles. I' ve seen one of the plants from the interestate. High-end, German designed and engineered vehicles, assembled in a factory basically tucked away in the woods.

I base my decisions on the characteristics that appeal to me. Like my Camaro for instance. When I bought it, I probably could have bought a Corvette (which I would have loved equally and do want to own some day), but I spent half the price, did a few mods, haven' t lost to a similarly modified Corvette yet. I like what I got for the price. There really wasn' t a Japanese competitor that offer the performance, V8, T-tops, and heritage that I love, so I could not have gone that route. I got what I wanted, regardless of where various parts may be made.

I would love to own a Harley, save for having to clean it. :laugh: I' ve always loved the look of Harleys, the sound, heritage, I like the fact that they are more "crude and unrefined." That' s what I love about "American" products. They may not be better or worse than a product from any other country, but they are undeniably American-bred! I have some friends that will never buy a Harley, because all their friends who had Harleys "couldn' t ride them, because they were always broke." For reasons similar to my Camaro, for a cruiser I would ONLY buy a Harley, or if financially possible....one of those ridiculously priced custom bikes built by Jesse James or OCC. They' re loud and have that DISTINCT sound that only comes from America. Sure you can change the pipes on a Japanese cruiser, but it' s not the same sound. When it comes to sport bikes, America really can' t compete. Only the Buells are made by an American company, right? ??? Obviously the Busa is the King of this market.

I like my vehicles to be LOUD, FAST, and OBNOXIOUS! :thumbsup: It' s the defining characteristics that you have to look for now a days. There is no way to keep all of your money in the U.S. Also, if you think as one person, your few dollars are gonna save the U.S., you' re out of your mind! :laugh:

I buy what I want... Not what people want me to buy! In the end I am the one who has to pay for it!

Back