Impaled upon the horns of a dilemma

Dunno about the bending part, you'll just have to try and see what the pain level says (but no taking pain meds and just going on!). With an injured knee and a new bike, especially if it's a heavy one like a Busa, watch out when you stop. Don't let it get started going over in the bad leg direction or your looking at a dropped bike and a possible re-injury. Which knee did you injure? Right won't be as bad of a deal as the left, left leg is the one you typically use to hold the bike at stop lights and such and even shifting can take it's toll after a while. Right leg just rides along and runs the back brake for a parking brake and you can use it to hold that side of the bike on level stops (or not), to move it if it's getting stiff or hurting.
Just some more stuff to consider, be careful, heal soon.:thumbsup:

Buy it, mod it while your down and have a great bike ready when your healed...

+1 That's what I was thinking...plus, having the bike there is a great motivator to get well soon!! :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear about your knee though :( I hope it heals quickly

Hmmm - not that I have any experience with knee injuries - LOL But getting riding again has been one of my big motivators.

What did you do?

Hmmm - not that I have any experience with knee injuries - LOL But getting riding again has been one of my big motivators.

What did you do?

Sort of twisted it like a straw, then bent it backwards
Yeah, ouch.

Sort of twisted it like a straw, then bent it backwards
Yeah, ouch.

I tore my ACL, MCL, and fractured my tibia - playing soccer on Mother's Day.

I've only been back riding for about a month...

Had one surgery already to repair a torn meniscus. Surgery to reconstruct the ACL will probably be later this year. I'm off crutches now, but somtimes still need the brace to walk comfortably; especially distances...

Last edited:
A partial update - I have the MRI report, it appears I have a torn inner 1/3 of the medial meniscus, a mostly or completely torn ACL, mild patellar tendonosis, and grade 2/3 chondrosis of the lower inside patella. I know it's Latin, but it's mostly Greek to me.

So I get to see the doc tomorrow, and I'd like to be informed and prepared. If anyone has had a similar injury and has experience to share, of if you have random thoughts to share, I'd love to hear any and all input. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike purchased delayed until March, at least. With my recent move before Thanksgiving the knee got pretty inflamed and painful. That has only recently subsided, and I've been nursing the knee since then to help that happen..

Last edited by a moderator:
take or retake the MSF Basic Rider Course it will give you an idea of the stress your knee will have to deal with. If you can do the course and buy a reasonably sized bike you will probably be fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hmmm... I was wondering more specifically about talking to the doc about the possible surgery or PT... the concept of riding is somewhat irrelevant until after surgery/course of PT.

The knee has problems sounds like the worst of which is the torn ACL. I got my doc appt moved up to tomorrow, so I want to be fully prepared, Rich already gave me a number of really good suggestions. Just trying to do my homework before seeing the doc. :thumbsup:

What's a rope a dope? sounds somewhat uncomfortable... :laugh:

Rope-a-dope, you fooled me, pulled a fast one, etc. If you have good brace take it easy, but I would do as the doc suggested just to be safe. And...........if you do get on a bike, wear the brace just in case. Rather be safe than sorry. We dont need you hurt any worse.

Back