Impaled upon the horns of a dilemma

O

outtahand

Help me out here people. Tell me what you think.

I threw out my knee over the weekend, so I'm looking at a minimum of a few months recovery time, even if I don't need surgery.

Problem is, I had my heart set on buying my first bike maybe in the next week or so.

How much would practicing on my new bike keep a knee joint from healing up?
When I drop it, and we all know I will sooner or later, will having a bum knee keep me from getting it back upright?

I know, I'm hard headed. But see, after a bad ankle break at the age of 17 the docs told my mother I might not walk again, and I not only walked, I danced.

Luv to hear your thoughts, and thanks.

Lisa, I think you should follow your Dr's orders :laugh:

but really how bad is the knee?

and you may never drop the bike... just make sure you are able to safely hold the bike up.. if it strains your knee to hold the bike up, sure do not want to do more damage or prolong the healing process.... heck you will miss Spring Bash if that happens..

Guess it depends on if your knee is bad from twisting or bending. If you can hold weight on it you should be fine riding. And yes, I did go to college long enough to be a doctor... :laugh:

Lisa, I think you should follow your Dr's orders :laugh:

but really how bad is the knee?

and you may never drop the bike... just make sure you are able to safely hold the bike up.. if it strains your knee to hold the bike up, sure do not want to do more damage or prolong the healing process.... heck you will miss Spring Bash if that happens..

Let's just say knees aren't supposed to bend that way, and I hollered in pain for at least a whole minute.

She ordered x-rays and mri, and told me to stay off of it.
If I'm riding, I'm off of it, right?

Honestly, I don't know anything about this kind of injury, but the joint now bends in extra ways, so as long as I have it in a brace, I'm feeling ok. So what's the dif if I'm riding? :dunno:

My left ankle has been in about the same condition for a lotta years now.
I got all kinds of admonitions back then, things turned out much better than expected. So, honestly, I don't know what to think. I'd love to hear what experiences people have had with their knees. Hmm... sounds a little kinky.

Guess it depends on if your knee is bad from twisting or bending. If you can hold weight on it you should be fine riding. And yes, I did go to college long enough to be a doctor... :laugh:

It twisted pretty thoroughly. But otherwise not much pain unless things go out of alignment. It has started swelling, but no bruising or bleeding visible after 4 days.

Are you an MD? or just extremely well educated?

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy it, mod it while your down and have a great bike ready when your healed...

It twisted pretty thoroughly. But otherwise not much pain unless things go out of alignment. It has started swelling, but no bruising or bleeding visible after 4 days.

Are you an MD? or just extremely well educated?

Not an MD, just had a really good time! Hope the knee gets better in a hurry. :thumbsup:

You'll have to wait for the MRI results before considering any serious rehab efforts. Until then, wear the brace and keep weight off of it and try not to keep it bent for any long period of time. After my crash some years back, I had three knee ops and a skin graft from my thigh due to losing so much 'material' over and around the knee cap. I got a recumbent excercise bike for my living room and that, after many miles, along with many months of hydro and physical therapy (they're all sadists BTW) I still have use of my knee. Its never going to be perfect and it hurts from time to time and I do wear a brace on occasion still. A short ride with the proper gear for knee protection shouldn't cause any more trauma.

so you going to tell us what you were really doing when you twisted your knee? :whistle:

Buy it, mod it while your down and have a great bike ready when your healed...

+1 What he said...

I had knee surgery on 08/14.. I can barely walk now, first week was really bad.

I could ride right but I don`t want to make things worse.

Instead I`m seating in my garage modifying the hell out of my bikes... :banghead:

You'll have to wait for the MRI results before considering any serious rehab efforts. Until then, wear the brace and keep weight off of it and try not to keep it bent for any long period of time. After my crash some years back, I had three knee ops and a skin graft from my thigh due to losing so much 'material' over and around the knee cap. I got a recumbent excercise bike for my living room and that, after many miles, along with many months of hydro and physical therapy (they're all sadists BTW) I still have use of my knee. Its never going to be perfect and it hurts from time to time and I do wear a brace on occasion still. A short ride with the proper gear for knee protection shouldn't cause any more trauma.

Thanks for the input. It's amazing how important the knee is, isn't it?

+1 What he said...

I had knee surgery on 08/14.. I can barely walk now, first week was really bad.

I could ride right but I don`t want to make things worse.

Instead I`m seating in my garage modifying the hell out of my bikes... :banghead:

Was it arthroscopy?

so you going to tell us what you were really doing when you twisted your knee? :whistle:

I was tripping.
No, seriously. I'm sure it would have made an hysterical video.
But I tripped and fell.

Now the wave at high tide that hit square on the side of that knee back in July might have had a bit to do with it.

Was it arthroscopy?

Yes, 3 tiny holes. I twisted my knee skiing last winter. It was not to bad and bothered me once in a while... then it became very painful just to keep my knee bended for 30 minutes. I could walk 5-10 miles without any pain but I can`t ride... since I`m going nutz if I`m not riding for a few days.. I decided to get it fixed.

Yes, 3 tiny holes. I twisted my knee skiing last winter. It was not to bad and bothered me once in a while... then it became very painful just to keep my knee bended for 30 minutes. I could walk 5-10 miles without any pain but I can`t ride... since I`m going nutz if I`m not riding for a few days.. I decided to get it fixed.

Hmm... sounds like you worked up a bit of inflammation since last winter
Ouch!

Just curious... what kind of protection were you wearing when you crashed?

Sucks to hear bout your injury.

what kind of injury will depend on how fast you'll recover. Was it a patellar dislocation, cruciate ligament (anterior or posterior...btw-these take longest to heal b/c there is no vascularization or any arterial blood supply through ligaments) or medial collateral ligs, bursa inflammation, hyperextension of the knee?

2nd...the terrible part is the typical ergonomic riding postures associated with riding a sportbike. the pegs or even the rearset position are usually set higher so that your knees are going to natually hug the gastank. that's how, and should be, holding on to your motorcycle in order to prevent forearm pump and low back strain/fatigue. Your legs will work closely with your core to help balance and stabilize the bike, and even steer the bike thru turns or thru traffic. This position alone can aggravate even healthy knees for prolonged periods of time. An injured knee is only going to experience pain during knee flexion. Then going from flexion to extension when coming to a stop may further exacerbate the signs and symptoms even more. Pain should be your indicator. If there is too much, it means your body is telling you that it cannot handle it.

see a Dr ASAP and get their opinion on the matter. I also recommend seeing a 2nd Dr for a 2nd opinion as well, such as an Orthopedic Surgeon or D.O. (Dr of Osteopathy). Keep us informed.

Back