I was always wondering

Hmmm.... Nice observations BT!
smile.gif
Best part is, it works if you can train yourself to change your style. I developed the push under style riding Train because I was sort of intimidated by her weight. Didn't start playing with the "hangin' off" technique until I started playin' in the twisties on the 10. Makes a difference in handling... even if you keep your butt pretty much planted dead center and lean your upper body to the inside of the turn. I don't hang off on the street like Bostrom is in that pic. I simply slide my butt off center to the inside 2-3 inches so my outside leg rides against the tank snugly, let the inside knee hang out, but only a few inches, and use my upper body more. Works well for me.
wink.gif

smile.gif
Best part is, it works if you can train yourself to change your style. I developed the push under style riding Train because I was sort of intimidated by her weight. Didn't start playing with the "hangin' off" technique until I started playin' in the twisties on the 10. Makes a difference in handling... even if you keep your butt pretty much planted dead center and lean your upper body to the inside of the turn. I don't hang off on the street like Bostrom is in that pic. I simply slide my butt off center to the inside 2-3 inches so my outside leg rides against the tank snugly, let the inside knee hang out, but only a few inches, and use my upper body more. Works well for me.
wink.gif
BT - How about a few photos of your skills, brother.

smile.gif
wink.gif
BT - How about a few photos of your skills, brother.
Can't quite snap 'em while I'm ridin'... and don't have anyone I ride with that knows how to take action shots with my digicam. Hopefully I'll get up to The Gap as soon as it warms up and maybe killboy.com will get some shots if he's there. I'd post 'em up if I had 'em.

Nice pics...

Hey BT - you going to the Gap with the others this spring?

Really!, I think you've got a career waiting for you in Racing commentary!

<!--EDIT|nitrousjunkie
Reason for Edit: None given...|1107527261 -->

I was thinking the same thing there BT. I've only been on sportbikes for a bit over a year but I picked up one of the performance books because I wanted to learn more. These past couple of months I've been practicing sliding my butt to either side. The book was right about speed. I undercut the corners until I got the hang of increasing the speed. On a recent group ride I almost went into the weeds on a third turn because my confidence still wasn't there. I did keep from impacting a truck grill though
smile.gif

Ride report over here: http://www.schelin.org/touring/20050123/index.html

Excellent pics though, MoTrFinger. I'm building my confidence up so I can hit some track days.

Carl

Nice pics...

Hey BT - you going to the Gap with the others this spring?
I'm scheduled to work the weekend that the busa bash is goin' on. The weather up there in April is to much of a gamble for me to say yes or no right now. If it's nice I may be able to take off at the last minute and come up for a day or two of it. I'll just have to wait and see.
wink.gif

I was thinking the same thing there BT. I've only been on sportbikes for a bit over a year but I picked up one of the performance books because I wanted to learn more. These past couple of months I've been practicing sliding my butt to either side. The book was right about speed. I undercut the corners until I got the hang of increasing the speed. On a recent group ride I almost went into the weeds on a third turn because my confidence still wasn't there. I did keep from impacting a truck grill though
smile.gif

Excellent pics though, MoTrFinger. I'm building my confidence up so I can hit some track days.

Carl
I'd like to hit some track days too. I will before this year is over. Oh, and which book did you get? Just curious.

smile.gif

Carl
I'd like to hit some track days too. I will before this year is over. Oh, and which book did you get? Just curious.
Total Control: High-Performance Street Riding Techniques by Lee Parks.

Lots of good info in my opinion. I've been riding for a long time but started on sportbikes about 18 months ago. Since I'm riding with others, I wanted to be able to keep up so I picked up this book. It has helped and I think I did pretty well in staying with the others (don't want to be a drag on rides
smile.gif
) this past ride.

More practice. Looks like a local ride might turn out to be just a couple of folks so I might hit the road again for more practice.

Carl

smile.gif

And to further illustrate, in your pic your right shoulder appears to be lined up with the right tip of the upper fairing and your arms appear to be squared with the bars. Now look at good ol' Bostrom doin' his thang. This shot from the front shows that his body centerline is approximately inline with the inside edge of the upper fairing. His inside arm is obvously "out" and his outside arm obviously "in" on the bike due to his body position. If he used the "push under" riding style he'd have to lean farther over at the same speed he is carrying, or slow down so less lean was required to make the corner...
yea I see what you mean about the body position my right arm should be tucked in and the left straighter so I can get the center of my chest closer to the right side of the bike in the lean. (right side because its a right hander
smile.gif
) I will say however the pic you chose is not a busa and most racers would not even try to get the busa in the position I can get it
smile.gif

Overall I appreciate your well thought advice I'm sure I will be using it.

smile.gif

smile.gif

Carl
Total Control: High-Performance Street Riding Techniques by Lee Parks.

Lots of good info in my opinion. I've been riding for a long time but started on sportbikes about 18 months ago. Since I'm riding with others, I wanted to be able to keep up so I picked up this book. It has helped and I think I did pretty well in staying with the others (don't want to be a drag on rides
smile.gif
) this past ride.

More practice. Looks like a local ride might turn out to be just a couple of folks so I might hit the road again for more practice.

Carl
I haven't read that one yet. I've read Twist of the Wrist II, Smooth Riding: The Pridmore Way, and Sport Riding Techniques. My favorite by far is Smooth Riding. I want to add Total Control to my collection for those cold and/or rainy days when I can't actually get out and ride.
wink.gif

smile.gif

And to further illustrate, in your pic your right shoulder appears to be lined up with the right tip of the upper fairing and your arms appear to be squared with the bars. Now look at good ol' Bostrom doin' his thang. This shot from the front shows that his body centerline is approximately inline with the inside edge of the upper fairing. His inside arm is obvously "out" and his outside arm obviously "in" on the bike due to his body position. If he used the "push under" riding style he'd have to lean farther over at the same speed he is carrying, or slow down so less lean was required to make the corner...
yea I see what you mean about the body position my right arm should be tucked in and the left straighter so I can get the center of my chest closer to the right side of the bike in the lean. (right side because its a right hander
smile.gif
) I will say however the pic you chose is not a busa and most racers would not even try to get the busa in the position I can get it
smile.gif

Overall I appreciate your well thought advice I'm sure I will be using it.
Hope it helps.
wink.gif
Oh, and you're right. Racers would never try to get a bike over as far as you are... because it apparently isn't the fastest way around a track.
biggrin.gif
It's good for scraping stuff and using all the tire, but not for getting around the track as fast as possible. If scrapin' is your thing, I'm all for it. Personally I want to become more proficient and quicker through the corners.
wink.gif

smile.gif

wink.gif

Any way...Finger, those pics are cool!! Videos are great, and I can't wait to hook up with you on a palomar run! During my one time on the track I was a moving pylon for the real racers. Congrats on getting out there and turning times. Did they get faster as the day went on?

Any way...Finger, those pics are cool!!  Videos are great, and I can't wait to hook up with you on a palomar run!  During my one time on the track I was a moving pylon for the real racers.  Congrats on getting out there and turning times.  Did they get faster as the day went on?
by the days end I was running in teh 1:50s but I'm not sure where that stands?

Excellent leans.Didnt really get the heavy duty BT Logic.Aint that experienced in leaning.But it sure was cool trying to understand what BT meant
tounge.gif

Back