I had the WORST job interview ever today

mikeyusf

Registered
Jesus, this is why I started my own business to avoid this bullsh*t, why in the world I even considered working for someone else is beyond me.

time to rant-

HEre is the deal, I'm a real estate investor, and I went into the local AmeriQuest Office because a couple of my tenants are interested in buying the properties they currently rent. I went into AmeriQuest to see if I could get them qualified. After speaking with the manager and top sales rep for about an hour, I got a strong impression that they were interested in hiring me as a loan officer with the possibility of moving into a managerment position pretty soon. Expected starting salary is about 200K, moving up to about 600K+ when you run your own branch.

To make a long story longer, I have gone through 7 interviews, from human resources, district managers, and everything seemed to be going great. The district manager decided to have me interview with a different and higher volume branch.

After a couple more interviews, my final interview was with the "top sales associate" of this branch.

I've never been so offended in an interview in my life. This guy begins the interview with this-

"So you consider yourself a competitive person huh?"

"Sure"

"What kind of grades did you get in college?"

"Some A's, mostly B's, a few C's. I worked through college and wasnt able to dedicate my entire time to studying. But I'm very proud of my degree and what I accomplished"

"Already making excuses for poor performance huh? What kind of competitive person accepts B's and C's?

"Excuse me?"

That was 5 minutes into this interview. about 55 left to go.

Three weeks of phone calls, 8 interviews, $400 in new clothes, resume faxing, not to mention gas, tolls, parking money, and time away from my personal business, just to have some hothead sales associate grill me.

Un-f*ck-in-be-leave-able

LOL I'm supposed to find out if they are going to offer me the job. If I have to work shoulder to shoulder with this a$$h0l3, I dont know if I even want it

Mike

ps- sorry, I'm so pissed right now at myself I could puke. I'll get off the soap box now

Damn Mike, Sounds rough.

Is this what you have been up too? I have had a really screwed up couple of weeks myself. Things just got crazy.

I should be back in the Tampa area Early next week. We need to get out there and ride.

Chin up, drink a Pint...

Later Bro...

The world's full of em Mikey........don't let it get ya down bro.......put it behind and
egitarre77.gif
on.

If you held your composure during that interview, then you got the job. If you wasn't an excellent candidate, you wouldn't have made through seven interviews. Think about it, why would your last interview be with a low level employee? He was just rattling your cage to see how you would react. You probably or would have seen that if if a high level management type did that. You have to be a certain type of manager to run your own branch, so I think they were looking to see how thick your skin was.

I'm an indepentant contractor, and have been on countless interviews, and have just about seen it all. I want to have my own business, that's why I am currently in a full-time MBA program getting the education and skills I need so I can be on the other side of the desk interviewing people to work for me.

Hope thinks work out for you.

Sane_man I appreciate the headsup. See the really freaky part is this-

1) I have inside contacts into this company that have told me that I have the job. A good friend who knows the guy I interviewed with, along with the other people in that branch, told me he spoke with them, and that I had the job.

2) Most of these guys are ex-newyork stockbrokers, hardcore salesman with no time to bullshit or lead me on. If they didnt want me, they wouldnt have wasted their time with all these interviews.

I should know something by monday or tuesday, betting pool anyone?

I would say the odds are 50/50, coin toss. What do ya think?

Mike

Sounds to me like yer in... but I've been in that position and not got it... sooooo, no bet from me.
rock.gif

You're a real estate investor and you want to take a job at a measly 600K? Just wholesale houses for 20 weeks, take your 600K and take the rest of the 32 weeks a year for vacation.
laugh.gif

Seriously, though, I am diving into REI myself (
newbie.gif
), hoping to get some new first deals soon. I am looking at wholesale flips and lease purchases. I have been learning the trade for over half a year now, making and hearing a few offers, but no bites just yet (I know it's a numbers game, I just need to boost the input numbers before I see any output). Anyway, if you want to chat sometime it would be interesting to get your perspective and see in what areas you are focusing.

thumbs-up.gif

I have to agree that this guy was just trying to get a reaction out of you to make sure that you could hold your composure. We have all either heard stories or seen people become irate when their credit is denied or they don't get the amount that they feel they should be getting and attempt to take it out on the person closest to them. Usually the messenger. As long as you didn't heat up for him you should have the job. If he wants competition, make it a priority to have his job withing a year and send him packing.

lovely...  I'm in the same boat... Interviewed in reverse...  Started w/ the CEO, then the VP, then the Staff, and awaiting an offer or brush off...  It's only a $100K job but I can do it standing on my head and still keep my own business growing at the same time... ***pimp -->Coastal Computer Care <---pimp***

firedevil.gif
Shameless self promotion...

OK, here goes.......

18yrs old, Boulder,Co.....
need work. called a pizza place that had ad in the paper for delivery guy.. see where this is going? NOT!

"Come on in tomorrow at 10am and we will get you set up."
okay.
smile.gif

Next morning, dredging through 2 feet of snow, took 1/2 hour to find the damn place, and...
NOBODY WAS EVEN THERE! A-HOLES didnt even go in to work that day. Failed to tell me about it too!!! EFF that! never even called em back.
mad.gif

When I graduated college, I had a job interview in Burbank, CA. They flew me out there rented a car, hotel, the whole thing. Interview went well and I was pretty sure I had the job. My flight wasn't for hours, so I decided to check out the area. Well, it was getting close to the time my flight leaves, so I head for the airport. I'm not 2 miles from the airport and I totalled the rental car the company rented for me. They weren't too happy about that because of their insurance covering me and all. Needless to say, I didn't get that job. hehehe

for those in the betting pool, here is what happened-

Had an interview at another branch this afternoon. Totally hit it off with the Branch manager and employees, had a total blast in the interview. The guy I interviewed with was awesome, made me feel really comfortable, and I was able to give one of the best interviews I've ever done.

Called me up this evening around 7:30pm, offered me the job. Starting as an Account Executive and should be Branch Manager within a year.

First day is tommorow! I really appreciate everyone's support and comments, you all definitely made my day. I'm one happy SOB, thats for sure.

Mike

CONGRATULATIONS MIKE!!!!!!!

I had a really good feeling about about your last interview and was thinking about you most of the weekend. Kick Ass and make Branch Manger in less then a year!!

congrats, Mike!
new poll: how long till Mike makes Branch "Manger" (sorry Sane! I couldn't resist!) ? 6-9 months? 9-12?

congrats, Mike!

new poll: how long till Mike makes Branch "Manger" (sorry Sane! I couldn't resist!) ?
tounge.gif

6-9 months?
9-12?
more?

Had an interview at another branch this afternoon. Totally hit it off with the Branch manager and employees, had a total blast in the interview. The guy I interviewed with was awesome, made me feel really comfortable, and I was able to give one of the best interviews I've ever done.

Called me up this evening around 7:30pm, offered me the job. Starting as an Account Executive and should be Branch Manager within a year.

First day is tommorow! I really appreciate everyone's support and comments, you all definitely made my day. I'm one happy SOB, thats for sure.

Mike
Dude! Congratulations....Don't worry, selling your soul to the man is a lot less painfull than it sounds. Next time we get together, I'll buy you a beer, well a Coke anyway...

Now is this a suit and tie position? If so and they do not allready have a deal with someone in the area, Men's warehouse really can hook you up. Just a thought.

Again congratulations Bro.

Mike
Oh Damn I am in Server Error Hell!!!! Multiple posts coming...

Hey, Here is a Website that will tell you all you wan to know about Nukes....

Nuclear info From FAS

Back