I feel pissed and betrayed

SGVridgerunner

Registered
So my '00 cut out on me today - at 5,500 feet, in rolling hills, 20 miles from my house. I had to push the stupid thing 3 miles uphill before I could finally coast the downhill and get to cell service.

I'm pissed because the gas gauge sat right on the border of the white and red, never entered the red. Nor did the light EVER come on. I kept thinking it was an ECU or fuel pummp issue the whole way down, because the gauge said I had at least a gallon left. My wife brought me a gallon to get to the gas station and there I filled it up. Sure enough 5.6 gallons, dead empty. What the heck? the bike only has 4,500 miles on it, I can't believe the light never came on.

By the way, I just bought it Saturday, and one thought is that the gauge cluster has been swapped or tampered with. I trust the guy I bought it from, and all his documentation checked out.

What do you guys think? Has this ever happened to you, and how many miles are you getting to a tank?

Thanks,
Dave

I average about 35mpg and the light comes on when there is 1.5G remaining. I do not believe in running tanks low as it can cause issues with stirring up gunk in the tank, plus moisture is more likely to get in the system when it is run low.

I typically hunt fuel at about 150 miles..

i never trust the gauge its a guess at best with that puppy just figure about 35 average like Bogus said i start getting nervous at about 160 miles on a tank

i get around 33 in the city and upwards of 42 on the highway and 1/2 the time i ride 2 up
mines a 99 so im pretty sure its 5.8 gallons
ive gone 180 miles before the light came on a few times
as soon as it hits E it will take around 1.8 gallons
when the light comes on it takes around .8 gallons

hope this helps

You might have a faulty sending unit or gauge. I run mine until the light comes on frequently if I'm around home. If I'm on a trip, I start looking for gas when the needle starts getting close to the red.

I also run mine until the light comes on.. On the interstate at 90mph/185 miles thats about 40mpg roughly..
winkold.gif

I'd say your gauge has issues..

100_0320_1_640x480.jpg

Yeah, I was at 248 miles when it cut out. Now, before you flame me for the "Duh" factor, my VFR goes 180-200 miles before the reserve indicator comes on (at around 39mpg), and the 'busa's trip meter indicated 46.3 mpg the last time I checked it. So I should have been able to almost hit 260 miles. I knew it was going to need gas after I came down the hill, but I guess I got on the throttle a little hard in the twisties.
ThumbsUp.gif
I'm just very upset about the light not coming on.

So, if anything else, at least we learned that it's possible for the 'busa to go alomst 250 miles on a tank around town, and that I need to fill up once it reaches the bottom of the white zone.  
clap.gif

I miss my petcock. I assume there is some technical reason that fuel injected bikes don't have petcocks. But every carb bike I've owned had one. Switch the petcock & you know you've got some reserve.

I have never trusted fuel gauges on bikes. Granted the busa has the best fuel guage I've ever used on a bike. But it's not perfect.

A 2000 vehicle of any type is a used vehicle. Be patient and get used to its little problems. My 71 charger did the same thing. Just little things you will learn in time.
Have fun learning your ride.
Bri

I assume there is some technical reason that fuel injected bikes don't have petcocks.
Carburated bikes are gravity fed so you can use a petcock, but injector systems (all I've dealt with at least) are pressurized and fed by an electric fuel pump (go out and turn your key on, hear that? Yup.) so no need for a petcock.
winkold.gif

Back