Feeling the heat?

04HappyBus

Registered
Hi all...

I've got an 04 Hayabusa, 22,000+ miles on the clock.  Mostly stock, no engine or exhaust mods.

I've noticed this year that when I start the bike and go for a ride, my temp gauge quickly goes up to just below the halfway mark within the first five minutes of the ride.  Usually it just sits there but when I get into slow traffic or cruise in town it seems my temp gauge bumps the middle line and the fan kicks in.  I've done a few 10 minute short trips using just first or second gear, maybe 40 mph top speed, and had the fan kick in by the time I park.  It doesn't ever go very far above halfway on the temp gauge, and has never crept into the red zone.

I swapped out the coolant last year for Motorex brand engine coolant (the premix stuff, just pour it in) and I carefully purged air from the system.

Is this normal?  I realize I have a 1299cc horsepower monster motor but is my engine running hot compared to what other owners experience?

After a couple of hours of riding, even in 70 degree weather, when I park to open my garage door to pull the bike in, the fan kicks on.

some engine coolants help to
warm bike quickly and get to
normal operating temp sounds
like your bike is fine to me mine
does the same w/Engine Ice, but
won't go past half mark.

My bike ran hotter when I used too much coolant and not enough water... Know I am probably 80% water and 20% coolant... It runs much cooler like this and I am a at the half point all the time with intercooler, but never any hoter even in traffic.

(Mike.P175 @ Jun. 05 2007,23:31) some engine coolants help to
warm bike quickly and get to
normal operating temp sounds
like your bike is fine to me mine
does the same w/Engine Ice, but
won't go past half mark.
+1
cool.gif

Back