How much $ to paint a busa?

Mythos

Registered
I'm trying to save money by going with an 08 gray/black. I could spend an extra grand and get an 08 orange/black which is my preferred color scheme but even if I did, I think I'd want to paint it a true scarlet red/black some day. If I'm going to end up painting it no matter what, there seems to be little reason to buy the orange and black bike just because it's closer to what i want.

Anyone have any idea on how much I would spend on paint and a spray gun and other materials? Obviously, I will avoid the cost of labor by doing it myself.

Forget about rattle canning it. I hear that will cost ~$300. Might as well go all the way to spray gun application.

Last edited:
Do u know how to paint? If not I would leave the paintin to the pros. Nothing worse than spending money on paints and supplies and having a shiddy paint job. JMHO

Good luck with whatever u do!
Posted via Mobile Device

well if you take your time and follow whatever paint manufacturer instructions you use you should be ok I've seen people new to painting do pretty well but it is a lot of work your best bet is strip the fairings (remove them from the bike not strip the paint)and have a shop do it. Ask revolution his specialty is some wicked custom paint. I have had some booth time myself but this is his thing and he's really good at what he does. To get a top notch job will still cost some coin but if your just doing a single color it won't break the bank it's not a car. no matter what you now are on the hook for pics regardless of wether or not you paint it:rulez: :laugh:

Thanks. I painted a car a long time ago. I have an extensive background as an artist and i used to airbrush but not on vehicles. It will be a lot of work but I'm sure i can make it perfect if i spend the time.

I'm guessing a couple hundred for a spray gun and 400 for black and red paint, maybe another hundred for other stuff.......maybe that black and orange 08 is close enough.

I've thought about wrapping the whole bike in vinyl too. I already know that is as much work as painting but cheaper and simpler for a DIY job.

You may have a point about the O/B being close enough. I wasn't really that big on Orange when I got mine, but it has grown on me and now I love it! I think I like it so much because of the candy.

Know ma few local guys who can paint for 4-500 and have it look as nice as factory. One used to work at a body shop as painter. Skills are part of it, having a paint booth or other set up is alos critical if you want it nice....

I'm trying to save money by going with an 08 gray/black. I could spend an extra grand and get an 08 orange/black which is my preferred color scheme but even if I did, I think I'd want to paint it a true scarlet red/black some day. If I'm going to end up painting it no matter what, there seems to be little reason to buy the orange and black bike just because it's closer to what i want.

Anyone have any idea on how much I would spend on paint and a spray gun and other materials? Obviously, I will avoid the cost of labor by doing it myself.

Forget about rattle canning it. I hear that will cost ~$300. Might as well go all the way to spray gun application.

I paid a girls dad i used to date $1000 for the paint job on my bike. He painted everything including the innner panels.He has had some cars in various magazines and been in the paint business for 40+years. Painted it 09 Z06 corvette black for me and it looks like a mirror. I constantly get compliments on it and I will be the first to say why put a ****ty paint job on a quality bike. Paint can make or break the look of your bike. I wouldn't pay a dollar over $500 dollars just for a paint job.....if its wet sanded, buffed, and clear coated over and a quality job has been done...then i think you could shop around and get it for $1000-1500. My friend has a 07 GSXR 1000 with shark skinz race fairings and he had a local guy to us just spray it 2010 viper red....he paid $600 and it looks great. Its jus the darker colors that i would spend the extra on because they show up all the bad ****. By the way his race fairings withstood a 100mph crash on the track and fit great...I ordered the same brand race fairings for my busa and they were the worst POS excuse for fairings you have ever seen. They were HALF as thick as the 07 GSXR fairings. I was so pissed i had them returned for a refund.

Last edited:
One thing not mentioned yet is the compressor. Do you have one yet? If not a compressor to handle the type of air flow needed for painting can be very expensive. Also, if you live in a humid part of the country your compressor will need a dryer on it so you don't get water vapor in the paint and mess everything up.

You probably know all this but just wanted to throw it out there. :thumbsup:

No, Sully, those are good points. I hope a few others reading might pick up on info. I have access to a good compressor at my second job and a room I think would work well, though it is not equipt with a spray booth.

Thanks for all the comments. Food for thought. I'm pretty sure I'm going to spend the extra doe and just buy the b/o. So it's not exactly the color i would have used- it is the best looking G2 so far and it is very close to a pure scarlet red. I think an extra thousand is worth not feeling like I want to repaint immediately. It will ad to the initial excitement too.

I hope you are good, the factory paint quality is top:thumbsup: If you thinking about custom painting a brand new bike don't go cheap on it:rulez: If you got the skills like I have seen by other members here I can't wait for the pics.:thumbsup:

first paint job i had about a grand in...

turned out decent...

next guy to paint it said 1200 to 1500 for solid color and 600+ for airbrush

^^That settles it. It's b/o. Calling stealer right after Labor Day. $11,750 OTD, tax included. I have a better offer from a dif dealer but not in the color i want and I have a strong preference for the b/o.

Back