Helmets

Some research has suggested that, in real world conditions, DOT approved helmets are actually SAFER than Snell approved helmets. Just do a google search on motorcycle helmet research, there was a big test, and the safest helmet was like a $60 DOT approved helmet. You can draw your own conclusions.

There's Snell approved helmets that aren't DOT approved? Well all my Snell approved helmets are also DOT approved but not all my DOT approved are Snell approved.

Either way, I love my Scorpion. Very comfy for me. Better then my Shoei. But the best advice is go and try them on and find for you what's best.

There's Snell approved helmets that aren't DOT approved? Well all my Snell approved helmets are also DOT approved but not all my DOT approved are Snell approved.

All street legal helmets are DOT approved.

A helmet that is Snell approved is also DOT approved

Snell ratings are done every 5 years. The company producing the helmet actually pays out to have the testing and approval done to their helmet.

For example, Icon has always been Snell until last year when they decided that they no longer want to spend money paying for this rating when their helmet meets and or exceeds DOT(U.S.), ECE(Euro), and Japanese riding standards

i've got a dozen or so, but my favorite for now is my $corpion. thing was pricey, but you get what you pay for. :rulez:

pics nov 2010 316.jpg

pics nov 2010 404.jpg

Thanks for all the info guys and ladies.
I have ordered A HJC RPS 10 in solid grey, My dream bike is in transit.......
When all arrives I will post the results
Have a new neighbor across the street, she seems to be an artist as her car has many graphics hand painted by her. ( yes i look out my front window sometimes )
May ask her to suggest something for my helmet.

Busa on the Way!!!!
Jack

All street legal helmets are DOT approved.

A helmet that is Snell approved is also DOT approved

Snell ratings are done every 5 years. The company producing the helmet actually pays out to have the testing and approval done to their helmet.

That's what I thought. Someone mentioned something that made it sound like you could pick and choose between the two. And I thought exactly that. All Snell approved ARE DOT approved if a street legal helmet. Thanks for clearing that up. Hope the word gets around though because it's not the first time I've heard that. "Dot has higher standards... Snell are higher....' blah blah..

aria for me here as well. I find them to be the most comfortable and airy

That's what I thought. Someone mentioned something that made it sound like you could pick and choose between the two. And I thought exactly that. All Snell approved ARE DOT approved if a street legal helmet. Thanks for clearing that up. Hope the word gets around though because it's not the first time I've heard that. "Dot has higher standards... Snell are higher....' blah blah..

As mentioned above, BUT.. Snell has harsher standards, which generally require a tougher shell.

This harder, tougher shell means that more of the energy in an impact is transferred from the helmet, to your melon. This means an increased chance of brain damage.

Unless you plan on wrecking and playing ping pong with your head, a DOT helmet is safer because it allows for less energy transfer to your head on the first initial impact. If you have more than one large impact, your best bet is probably a Snell..... If you have more than one large impact.. . You are probably screwed anyway.

Most people think that a Snell rating = a higher quality helmet. This is not true. :beerchug:

Oh, yeah:

Snell isn't "higher standards," it is really a more strict method of testing that can be interpreted as "higher standards" or in a real world sense "unrealistic standards."

:hijack:

Hey red, does that Scorpion modular fit like the exo 700's? Do you happen to know? I would love to have a modular for the longer road trips, but no one in my vicinity has one to try out (None of the Nolans, HJC's, or the Scorpions). My exo 700 fits reeeall nice to :beerchug:

Back