Helmets

I love that helmet! That replaces the one that got trashed, yes?
Congrats! good find.

Yes it will replace the one that took a whack .
The new RF1100 large blue Seilon graphic will go on EBay as 'once worn' which is what it is. Anyone here who wants it is most welcome to get it from me. There are some who are happy with the new RF1100 design.
I am not so happy with it. I'll probably ask $300 for it. It's as new.

For me it's the fit not the brand that is crucial, snug enough that your scalp will shift when you move the chin up and down, no slop side to side and full face. I've had an Arai for many years and noticed it wasn't fitting as well as it used to and found an HJC Sy-Max 2 on sale (New Enough) with a few nice features. It has the chin that raises but still looks like a normal full face, it's light and has a neat visor with internal shades, easy to operate with gloves. Haven't had a chance to ride with it but think I may like it better than the ol' Arai (heresy I know).

I have a Bell Star Cerwinski and love it. Light, padding is like a suede material and the graphic is awesome. It is a little noisy and the dark smoke shield fogs up terribly.

I've had all of the scorpion full face helmets and my favorite is probably just the EXO-400. Decently comfortable, shield does not fog. Probably one of the best helmets for the money.

Not a fan of the newer Shoei's...

Even though I like the Bell Star and the Scorpion line, I will be getting an Arai RX-Q or Corsair V this winter....

I'm still using my old Shoei that technically needed to be replaced 5 years ago. It's also already gone across the hood of one Civic, so I know it worked at least once.

I'm thinking about trying a Nexx XR1R next. I have an X60 Vintage that is kinda nifty for the cruiser, but the XR1R looks interesting and got a good review at WebBikeWorld.

Open Face Helmets | Motorcycle Helmets | Scooter Helmets <-- Nexx-USA site
Nexx XR1R Helmet - webBikeworld <-- WebBikeWorld Review of the XR1R

If anybody is wearing one of these, share your thoughts? :D

i found that Arai helmets give me better peripheral view to the sides.

You'll get lots of opinions, but the best thing you can do is try on different brands. See what fits your head the best, and is the most comfortable. Snell rated helmets supposedly comply to higher standards. I like Shoei, and Arai. Arai actually has three different internal shapes too, not just different sizes.
Also, once you find what you like, shop around for the best price. Helmet prices vary dramatically for the same make/model from different distributors.

^^^ That's it right there. I wear a scorpion. Perfect fit if you have a slinder head. Out of my 4 helmets, I like it best (even over my shoei).. But that's because it's my head.. not your head.. lol

I bought a Scorpion exo 1000. I liked it because it has an internal sun visor and an air bladder you can inflate to get a custom fit. The main problem was the stock wind screen throws the air right into the back 1/3 of the helmet causing a wind percussion similar to a base drum. I solved that with a "quite rider" but that makes my visor fog and is stuffy on hot days. I did want a double bubble windscreen anyway.

Last edited:
That's exactly the one I have. Love it.. Fits tight enough I don't use the air bladder though. Often use the visor. Only thing I don't like is how you pointed out it fogs. If I'm moving, I have no problem, but in a lot of red lights I have to open my visor more than I do my HJC which I only wore when I wanted to wear my headphones for longer rides. But it was really noisy. And now I have the Sena SMH10 com system. I just use the blue tooth on my phone to play music. So I'm in my Scorpion more often now.

The wind noise on my Scorpion doesn't seem that bad to me. Especially compaired to my HJC. BUt I admit my third helmet is quieter. But busted wind screen. But by far my exo 1000 is my favorite.

EXO-1000 currently on sale for $99 SHIPPED (cycle gear). If I did not already have the EXO-700, I would be snagging one in a heart beat.

Scorpion%201000%20Appolo%20Blue_77x77.jpg

I'de like to know what folks think are some of the most quiet helmets. I've tried on and rode with many over the years, but of course you can't test ride all of them. The fit is the most important to me, but I wear earplugs with my Shoei on long rides. I'de like to have the least amount of wind noise when I buy a new one.

Ventilation/air flow matters more to me and almost all helmets that do this well are "noisy." So a long time ago, I have made helmet noise a NON-issue by wearing ear plugs full time.

Don't buy an RF1100 . I'm selling the one I just bought and going back to an RF1000.
RF1100 is too noisy and whistles way to much !

Same problem i'm having with my 1100, piss poor NEW windscreen hinge design. The windscreen doesn't seal, they offered different springs to fix the problem with poor results. I'm just living with it.

Any full faced DOT approved that is comfortable to you.

All helmet brands have different fits so what works for you will not work for the next guy.

I have a Bell Star Cerwinski and love it. Light, padding is like a suede material and the graphic is awesome. It is a little noisy and the dark smoke shield fogs up terribly.

I've had all of the scorpion full face helmets and my favorite is probably just the EXO-400. Decently comfortable, shield does not fog. Probably one of the best helmets for the money.

Not a fan of the newer Shoei's...

Even though I like the Bell Star and the Scorpion line, I will be getting an Arai RX-Q or Corsair V this winter....

I bought a pair of Arai Corsair V's ($498.25 each,from Performance Motorsports about a year ago) in Diamond black,best fitting/most comfortable helmet i've had to date.:thumbsup:

Find a Cycle Gear nearby and go down and have them fit you. You can try on all sorts of brands and you'll get some really good fitment advice from the staff.

Now if you don't have a Cycle Gear nearby I would still go and try on as many as you can. Try not to go in with any preconceptions about different brands and try to stay open to different options.

I personally think you should find the best fit for YOUR melon. Just don't go bargain basement. Look for both Snell and DOT approved.

Good Luck and Peace!

AGV gives you a good bang for your buck, I have 2 of them. Just bought an Icon Airframe and it is very comfortable with great vision. I agree with above comments about Shoei....they are def for round heads!

Back