Hayabusa track bike

I am also curious to know how much that bodywork set you back? Let me guess - $3700?

Pffft. I bought the bike for less than that...
I am a patient man. I don't (often) buy on impulse. I've been collecting these parts for 5 years.

OK, you've had a lot of time to weigh it....how much?

Yeh, I know!!! Sorry!!!
I WILL have a figure for you on the 19th of October. We're all going (Australian Hayabusa Club) to the strip for a run (quarter mile) and they have proper scales there...

Did Superbike School today... didn't get the carbon fender in time, so used a stock Gen 2 fender.
Not great pics, so not bothering with any other than this...

Busatrackie3-1.jpg

Finally!

Weight: 195.5kgs (431 pds), though still got a couple of tricks up my sleeve!

Did you raise the rear or lower the fork tubes at all? Just curious about what if anything you did to the geometry of the bike. Nice looking ride by the way!!

Did you raise the rear or lower the fork tubes at all? Just curious about what if anything you did to the geometry of the bike. Nice looking ride by the way!!

Thanks LM!

The rear is stock height.
The front is lower as I've used a GSXR1000 complete front end and it is shorter than stock, but not sure how much. When I line up my stock Busa and the track bike, the nose looks looks like it's about 1.5 to 2 inches lower

12112011007.jpg

TrackBusafrontfender12112011.jpg

TrackBusacomplete12112011.jpg

"The rear is stock height.
The front is lower as I've used a GSXR1000 complete front end and it is shorter than stock, but not sure how much. When I line up my stock Busa and the track bike, the nose looks looks like it's about 1.5 to 2 inches lower"

You aren't rubbing any bodywork with the low front end huh? I have seen a stock Busa at the track with holes in the lower left and right sides of each fairing.
I'm digging the killer setup you have on that bike. I've got my 06 in the garage for an early winter yearly tune. I'm adding an Ohlins to the rear and I already have Racetech in the stock front forks. Thanks for your input as I'm collecting as much as I can before I start messing with raising the rear and lowering the front.

Thanks guys.

Yes Chris, it IS all about the fun! People criticise saying, "you can go quicker on a 600", but they don't know how much FUN it is on a Busa at the track!!!

Sum Beach, I will get more pics soon. Oly have pics (back in the thread) when the bike had its white race fairings... Doing a couple of track days in December (warm weather here) and should have more pics after that...

Busatrack1.jpg

Busatrack2.jpg

Busatrack4.jpg

LM, my fairings did rub with the stock forks

Fairingscrape2small.jpg

Fairingscrape1small.jpg

These GSXR1000 (08) forks have a very heavy spring, so I haven't had the problem (yet!)

Pan, 431 lbs.! That is incredibly light...what do you think the difference is just in fairing/body/seat in plastic vrs carbon? I'm guessing that wasn't as big a difference as all the other stuff you took off! Doyle

Pan, 431 lbs.! That is incredibly light...what do you think the difference is just in fairing/body/seat in plastic vrs carbon? I'm guessing that wasn't as big a difference as all the other stuff you took off! Doyle

Most of the weight saving was with all the bits I removed (lights, electrics, fan, looms, etc) the BST wheels, Titanium exhaust and carbon/kevlar fuel tank. The carbon/kevlar fairings weighed just over 1.5 kg complete (!!!!), whereas the plastics were a fair bit heavier.

This gives you an idea of what got chopped!
Busatrackie4.jpg

This gives you some idea of weight on fairings:
Just the plastic nose cone (no lights, with holes bloked off), 1.24kgs
BusaOEMnosecone.jpg

Just carbon/kevlar nosecone, 0.48 kgs - nearly 1kg there, and with other fairings I estimated about 7kg saving in total
Busacarbonnosecone.jpg

Stainless bars
14072010002.jpg

Carbon bars
14072010005.jpg

Rear footpegs
12072010004.jpg

Top triple clamp
Busatopforkclamp-1.jpg

OEM front wheel
Busafrontwheelweight.jpg

BST front wheel
BSTfrontweight.jpg

As you can see, as well as the major mods, I did lots of small bits and pieces (titanium bolts on brakes, carbon handlebars), and they all added up to a lighter bike...

eBay!

I was in the right place at the right time. A motorbike store had it hanging up as a display piec for 10+ years and decided to sell it.
Not sure who the manufacturer is.

I admire your time and effort not to mention the cash you have invested into this project. I'd be scared to death riding that puppy at the track for fear of being forced to rob a bank in case of a getoff! :shocked:

Besides your exemplary work, I so appreciate your efforts in documenting the steps, weight reduction, etc. Since many 1000 cc dedicated trackbikes weigh about the same as what you created, when you can, tell us about your drive onto straights when in a cluster of literbikes. With some of the fastest ones, my 490 lb Busa(and me @ 220 lbs) cannot keep up in 60-150mph straitaway "drag races" (say against a new R-1 Yamaha with a 160 lb. rider). I would think, with a good drive, only an A rider on a racebike could keep up with your lightweight package! Doyle

NM1U8114.jpg

Back